Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling Terabyte Project - a short bit of blatant pan-handling

Hey all,

Well, i feel like a complete fucktard for even posting this... but a situation arose this morning and i'm likely two weeks away from having a lot of discretionary income. (I typically get paid by all my clients when they cut checks for me on the 1st and 15th of the month.) There is a small but significant crisis in Traveling Terabyte Land land.

I recently sent out emails to all parties with TTB cases. I needed them to arrive back at home base no later than Jan 31st, since the drives all need their typical maintenance and data sorting. This happens twice a year... the cases come with me to DefCon and ShmooCon where they get handed off for their next series of journeys.

One individual who had a TTB case for some time and just now sent it back wound up losing one of the drives it contained. Apparently he knew this for a while and asserted that he informed people of this problem (his wife went a bit funny in the head or something and threw it away? i'm not really sure) but today is the first i've heard of it.

Long story short, I'm in a scramble to come up with a new hard drive, enclosure, and associated cables. I'm not looking for cash or anything... just trying to track down anyone who may (for whatever odd reason) have a spare 500 gig drive on a shelf somewhere. If you'd be willing to part with it until ShmooCon (when i can give you a replacement or make it up to you in alcohol) that would help us out.

I've ordered the enclosure (which is getting harder to find it seems since the ones we use in the TTB project are now discontinued... i should stock up on them) so that will get here soon. Just now looking for a 500 gig drive to be back in business.

All the best to everyone out there. (And I hope to see you at shmoocon... stop by the lockpick area and you'll certainly see where all my extra money is going these days. i'm building something big. haha)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Traveling Terabyte Project - a short bit of blatant pan-handling

What kind of drive DO; SCSI or IDE? What kind of enclosure, could you post a picture or a linky?

xor

Never mind got it.
    Last edited by xor; January 17, 2008, 15:59.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I have an extra Shmoocon ticket which I paid $150 for. If someone buys it from me, I will donate the proceeds to TTB Project in the form of a 500GB Maxtor or Seagate PATA internal hard drive.

xor

Ps I need a shipping address D.O. It will be a drop ship from Tech Data. D.O you can buy me a Starbucks venti quad espresso mocha with breve, 4 splenda, no whip, no foam and that will be good enough :) I'm certain that I will get rid of the ticket either before or the day of con. I will make sure and let the Shmoocon people know about it. So you will get the drive regardless. As soon as I get a ship to, I can send the drive and you should have it by Monday as it will ship from Swedesboro, NJ Friday.
      Last edited by xor; January 17, 2008, 17:25.
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

oh man, that's outrageously cool of you. i was planning on just buying a new drive myself or doing a little workaround with some extra dollars that a couple folk put up, but if your drive is also an option... who knows, maybe i'll wind up using that as the immediate replacement and then in an act of goodwill i'll contribute additional resources myself and create a whole extra case to start sending around. you and anyone else who showed such great kindness right now can be top of the list on that drive's first run.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

It's on its way DO. My regards and support for our troops :-) always.

xor

Check you messages over the next 24 for more details.

Comment

I've had my share of ahhh (searching for PC remark) spirited women in my day and I completely understand.

xor

Comment

wow. a big thank you to all who stepped up and offered to mitigate the circumstances of this aggravating affair. you are all too cool.

btw... did you want your resource repaid back to you in hardware or alcohol at shmoocon? just want to know how to plan.
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

DO,

TTB1 had a loss of the hi-speed ink pen and (I think) one USB cable. On the flip side there is some swag in the case. You may likely need new foam too. It was very used and very appreciated by the folks who had it here.
                Last edited by astcell; January 18, 2008, 08:46.

Comment

Deviant, remember we have TTB email addresses we can give to those supporting us!

Comment

Deviant --

Email me about the enclosures. We most likely can stock up. Santa was very good to me this year.

And check your email!

Stay shiny

valkyrie

sapere aude

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                    Hey all,

Well, i feel like a complete fucktard for even posting this... but a situation arose this morning and i'm likely two weeks away from having a lot of discretionary income. (I typically get paid by all my clients when they cut checks for me on the 1st and 15th of the month.) There is a small but significant crisis in Traveling Terabyte Land land.

I recently sent out emails to all parties with TTB cases. I needed them to arrive back at home base no later than Jan 31st, since the drives all need their typical maintenance and data sorting. This happens twice a year... the cases come with me to DefCon and ShmooCon where they get handed off for their next series of journeys.

One individual who had a TTB case for some time and just now sent it back wound up losing one of the drives it contained. Apparently he knew this for a while and asserted that he informed people of this problem (his wife went a bit funny in the head or something and threw it away? i'm not really sure) but today is the first i've heard of it.

Long story short, I'm in a scramble to come up with a new hard drive, enclosure, and associated cables. I'm not looking for cash or anything... just trying to track down anyone who may (for whatever odd reason) have a spare 500 gig drive on a shelf somewhere. If you'd be willing to part with it until ShmooCon (when i can give you a replacement or make it up to you in alcohol) that would help us out.

I've ordered the enclosure (which is getting harder to find it seems since the ones we use in the TTB project are now discontinued... i should stock up on them) so that will get here soon. Just now looking for a 500 gig drive to be back in business.

All the best to everyone out there. (And I hope to see you at shmoocon... stop by the lockpick area and you'll certainly see where all my extra money is going these days. i'm building something big. haha)

Comment

Working...
                    X