hacking my computer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hacking my computer...

I'm not sure who (probably my little brother...) but someone went on the family computer and disabled the only administrator account(so i currently have no access to re-enable it) i was wondering if there's any way to create a new administrator, or to enable the old one. microsoft said that its impossible without a password restore disk... and ive already tried the command prompt, safe mode, etc.

am i doomed?
    unda est terminus. is iuguolo ambitus.

Re: hacking my computer...

Originally posted by sharxbyte View Post
    I'm not sure who (probably my little brother...) but someone went on the family computer and disabled the only administrator account(so i currently have no access to re-enable it) i was wondering if there's any way to create a new administrator, or to enable the old one. microsoft said that its impossible without a password restore disk... and ive already tried the command prompt, safe mode, etc.

am i doomed?
    First of all, I am very curious how someone disabled the only administrator account, since it's nearly impossible to do by accident. XP explicitly prevents you from doing it in the control panel.

Second, the administrator account is *always* enabled in safe mode.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

hmmm... it wasnt letting me log on...

-.-

Comment

Originally posted by sharxbyte View Post

am i doomed?
        Doomed? Not at all. MS is so full of it.

Get a SystemRescue Linux Live CD ISO and burn it on another PC. Then use the "ntpass" boot option to boot the family PC. At that point, you will be able to unlock, set a new password or blank the password on any local account including the Administrator.

Blanking the password is usually the easiest option, then you'll need to reboot, run chkdisk, and reboot again. After that you can simply set the password to something strong to lock baby brother out the PC. I've done this procedure dozens on time for clients that have locked themselves out, and never had a problem.

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
        First of all, I am very curious how someone disabled the only administrator account, since it's nearly impossible to do by accident. XP explicitly prevents you from doing it in the control panel.

Second, the administrator account is *always* enabled in safe mode.
        He probably either locked the account or managed to change the password to something unknown. It does happen.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

google for the term pnordahl then use your own fu from there. that is all the help you'll get from me on a matter like this.
          Last edited by Deviant Ollam; January 19, 2008, 17:12.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

takk skal du ha herr

xor
            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
              google for the term pnordahl then use your own fu from there. that is all the help you'll get from me on a matter like this.
              I have one of those sitting on my shelf just for those purposes.
              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

hey thanx guys, i think ill be able to fix it now =]

Comment

I just wanted to make note that while the 'administrator' account is never deleted, it can be blocked by trojans when you try to access the registry and will appear invisible. At that point even creating a new administrator account will not work and a format/reinstall becomes the fastest and most effective fix.

FYI, if you have a Dell or such, the Windows key is pasted on the box, and if you have a friend, you can barrow the cdrom for the install and just use your key. Be forewarned that the media must match the key. This means that XPsp2 keys don't match XPsp1 CDs. I shouldn't have to point out that XPhome won't install with an XPpro CD.

If you want to keep it really safe, keep the administrator account separate and make the other users the family logs into 'power users'.
                  -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

Working...
                  X