Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying United to DC16? Better pack lightly or have a padded wallet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying United to DC16? Better pack lightly or have a padded wallet...

... because United just announced a $25 surcharge for a "Second Bag" on domestic flights, unless you're a premier member in their Mileage Plus programs.
    I check my sanity with a wristwatch. What do you check yours with, a dipstick?

Re: Flying United to DC16? Better pack lightly or have a padded wallet...

Damn! Now all the airlines are going to start doing this. Ever notice how expensive it is to be poor?

-mouse
    One Voter really can make a difference. Ask me how!

Comment

Originally posted by mouseling View Post
      Damn! Now all the airlines are going to start doing this. Ever notice how expensive it is to be poor?

-mouse
      What I really want find out (first hand) is there is a corollary of "is it inexpensive to be rich?"

So far the progress in that direction has been, um, slow.
      Last edited by Thorn; February 4, 2008, 18:35.
      Thorn
      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

southwest is doing something similiar also.
        ======================================
        DJ Jackalope
        dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
        ======================================

Comment

Thank goodness for business related travel - Now if only they would put a Red Carpet Club in Las Vegas. -- United Premier member.
          DaKahuna

Comment

Yeah I heard this on the radio today. It sucks but it's a way for them to offset the cost of rising fuel prices without jacking up ticket prices. I pack really light all the time, so no worries here.
            .: Grifter :.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter View Post
              Yeah I heard this on the radio today. It sucks but it's a way for them to offset the cost of rising fuel prices without jacking up ticket prices. I pack really light all the time, so no worries here.
              This is the kind of thing that has pushed me into renting a car, and driving, in preference to flying. I'm glad to be able to take two days to get somewhere, rather than just having a full day sucked down into the evil of flying, and having *everything* that I wanted with me. I don't have to worry about searches, or having my nice, unwrinkled clothes looking like the bargain bin at the Goodwill.

I remember deciding to spend the weekend in SF. I called the airlines (Aircal; I REALLY miss Aircal), got two seats, called the hotel, got a room, barely made it to the flight (they were about to close the door, and *three* hours after I decided I wanted to be in SF, there I was (I was in SoCal, so 50 minute flight). Piece of cake.

Now? Last minute purchases are guaranteed to get you a body cavity search, you HAVE to be there 30 minutes prior, or you don't get on the plane, nothing ever leaves on time, nothing ever arrives on time, and you're lucky if your luggage arrives with you. Forget about carrying it on.

I confess I'm considering a 3-day drive, now, as less unpleasant than flying.

Comment

Why don't they go by WEIGHT instead of QUANTITY?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                  Why don't they go by WEIGHT instead of QUANTITY?
                  They already do. If you're over xx pounds, you pay more.
                  "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

You know 18 bottles* of beer would fit into duffel back and be under the 50lb limit. Now how am I gonna mule back Fat Tire?

Actually 24 would fit but there's a shipping & handling charge

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
                      This is the kind of thing that has pushed me into renting a car, and driving, in preference to flying. I'm glad to be able to take two days to get somewhere, rather than just having a full day sucked down into the evil of flying, and having *everything* that I wanted with me. I don't have to worry about searches, or having my nice, unwrinkled clothes looking like the bargain bin at the Goodwill.

[...]

I confess I'm considering a 3-day drive, now, as less unpleasant than flying.
                      Living in Montana, I'm about an 8-hour drive (550 miles) from the closest major city (Denver, near where I grew up actually). As such, I find it much more convenient to eat the mileage and the time and drive down there as well, even for just a weekend, unless I need to be 'there in a hurry'. And, unfortunately, I have much the same reasons as you, shrdlu. WTF happened to actually getting SERVICE out of public servants?

Of course, i'm still looking at flying to con, just because sucking the extra time out for driving may not be an option this summer. Lots of busy stuff at work. Convenience and necessary expedience winning out over private liberty sucks.

Comment

It's almost cheaper to Fedex your luggage overnight.

It used to be 2 bags per ticketed passenger up to 50lbs each, for most airlines.

Comment

Originally posted by beakmyn View Post
                          It's almost cheaper to Fedex your luggage overnight.

It used to be 2 bags per ticketed passenger up to 50lbs each, for most airlines.
                          It still is for some. I think it's kind of a ripoff in the name of profits myself, but what can you do, eh?

Comment

Its a complete rip off! United is a piece of shit airline anyway, if most know the hassle it is to get their bags in the first place from them, then the pricing of extra baggage will be even more outrageous...

What I want to know is how ticket sales been; it is of course a demand to fly, not always a luxury - but business. It seems that the new fee's will create more unrest for frequent flyer's and even more for those who rarely fly.

I for one will be flying out this year to Defcon from California because the gas prices are probably going to total out to a round trip plane ticket. Thankfully I like walking, so this won't be the issue...Just finding the hotel early is what I'll need initially...Perhaps Riviera, perhaps the Wynn, or even the Hilton. Packing light is key, so now its one pair of pants, two shirts, three pairs of undies, and a few pairs of socks. My laptop, and a little room for any purchasing; so a mid sized camera-skate bag will do me well, that is certain.
                            A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.
                            -
                            William S. Burroughs

Comment

I am driving this year as well, this will be my 4th con. Its only roughly a 5hr drive from Phoenix area if you drive the speed limit

As I will be up there for both BH and DC, and typically a flight and car runs me around $400-500, I can make the drive for well under that.

Comment

Working...
                              X