• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Book

Just picked up Security Power Tools, by many many people

ISBN-10: 0-596-00963-1
    ISBN-13: 978-0-596-00963-2

at 800+ pages rates high in girth alone. Just a quick flip through it and I saw how a certain famous Canadian hacker did what they did over in Europe. By the way which I thought was so cool; with 2 thumbs up for style. :-).

This book is definitely worth a read. So not to be too Oprah-ish is there a Defcon book list, if not there should be. We have many fine authors here and I for one would be interested in seeing what they are reading or what they consider essential Infosec material.

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Good Book

Originally posted by xor
    is there a Defcon book list
    Hell, thats not a bad idea. I wouldnt mind seeing what others are reading in their spare time. Currently Im re-reading Mitnicks Deception/Intrusion books.
    Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

If I remember correctly, DT used to have a list of books that he (and other members of the community) dug on the main DEF CON site. I'll have to go back and see if it is still buried on there somewhere.
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I'm also currently reading Security Power Tools
        .: Grifter :.

Comment

The book list I mentioned before:

https://www.defcon.org/html/links/book-list.html

Comment

When was it updated last, Chris?

xor
            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

A title that I really love and consistently try to push on people is The Victorian Internet by Tom Standage.

I saw this piece in a campus book shop at the beginning of some semester. It wasn't for my class, but i always would wander up and down the aisles writing down a bunch of titles that i would Google for later. (See related posts about the school that I attended, the interesting majors offered, and the socio-technological focus of many of the courses.)

This was one such title. In fact, I think I was so interested after just thumbing through it for a minute that I may have picked it up right there at full ass-rape campus bookstore price.

I was glad I did, and you will be, too. It's a magnificent window into not only a culturally-distinct time (when something as miraculous as instant, long-distance communication was nothing short of magic to most people) but also makes loads of interesting comparisons between the modern internet and the telegraph network of old... particularly (and this is where i really think people here would get a kick out of the research and reporting) as far as the operators are concerned.

Even back then, many telegraph operators were quick enough on the keys to get their work done in record time and use free time (compare that with spare cycles or excess bandwidth) for side projects or just idle chit-chat all across the country. Like many of us today, who in addition to doing "real" work at our jobs will typically have an IRC window open, these people all knew each other (it was a very tightly-knit group) and had a fucking blast all the time.

Skilled key-ers would sometimes just wander from place to place, taking very lucrative jobs in telegraph stations of small towns when they wanted money, riding a train somewhere else when the mood struck them.

Often, people's own unique style of keying the text would identify them to others. "Hey... is that Byron Kendrick? I see you're operating out of Chicago now! When did you make the journey there, old friend?" is the sort of thing one might have seen on the wires.

The book is full of interesting facts like that. Anyone who has ever had a job sitting in a server room or dealing with the tubes would really get a blast from it, in my opinion. Also... c'mon, the thing is not even 250 pages. You can blow through it in a single day, maybe two if you're the type who actually does work when you're at work.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                When was it updated last, Chris?

xor
                I honestly have no idea. I would imagine it's been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  The book list I mentioned before:

https://www.defcon.org/html/links/book-list.html
                  It is actually on my agenda to update this page. Any suggestions you guys have for must-read books to get the page up to date would be welcome and a great help.

Comment

While not a "how to" type book, this is a pretty good read.

Comment

Cuckoo's Egg is actually the book that got me really interested in computer security. I grew up playing with codes and locks, but the idea of network/computers as just fancier brassworks really turned me on. From there I discovered Mitnick and Stephenson and Schneier and ever so much win. I really should give it a read through again, having that sort of history of where computer security sort of began is a really lush foundation.
                      " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
                      - Willard Orman Van Quine

Comment

Working...
                      X