the Traveling Terabytes' next rotation in-country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Traveling Terabytes' next rotation in-country

So, i didn't have the TTB's with me at ShmooCon like i usually do. But that was ok since (a) i was so overloaded with gear (and huge doors and stuff) that i don't know if i could have even fit them and (b) we hadn't picked a plan for their next journey.

Well now the time has come for them to take off again. One is already being dispatched, actually. The music teacher at the school where I work had stopped by my office looking for an empty box for shipping purposes. When the conversation turned to chatter about what she would be shipping, i learned that she was sending a blanket and possibly some other goodies to her man who is with the 101st in Iraq.

I mentioned the TTB project and the couple people standing in my office were surprised. (Most folk with whom i work don't know a whole lot about all the things i'm into, actually) I offered to have her send one case to his unit and she jumped at the chance.

She is sending the green "entertainment" TTB but now i will need to ask where anyone would like to see the tan "knowledge" TTB sent. I should point out that while the green case is sometimes more popular due to the content split... the sheer volume of shows and movies has resulted in a lot of spill-over to the tan case. So now the "knowledge" volume has things like all the MythBusters episodes and my collection of Law & Order (hey, it's sort of pseudo-educational, no?) Pretty much anything from my collection that airs on Discovery channel and so forth is on there. (I think Deadliest Catch may be on there now, along with a great special recently called "Life After People". The two Tiger Team eps are on the tan volume, as well.)

So yeah... where should that case go next? Speak up now if you have friends or family who are deployed or contracted out overseas and we'll plot a route. Remember, speed is the key if you want the TTB to touch as many lives as possible. If you can attempt to have your folk on the receiving end ready with some free space on a group of laptops or, better yet, an external drive or morale server operating at their location they can dump the content and forward it right along.

There is no time limit etc. for having a TTB... we just ask people to be mindful that the longer they keep it, the longer others are waiting for it.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; March 2, 2008, 07:37.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: the Traveling Terabytes' next rotation in-country

That is so awesome to hear. I was curious - what is the cost on starting a 3rd one?
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
      I was curious - what is the cost on starting a 3rd one?
      i've done the math and nowadays, it's possible for me to put together all the components, drives, case, etc. for just about $400.

There was another person who contacted me (outside the DefCon community, must have seen an article in the press or some such) and he wanted to put together a case to send among humanitarian aid workers that he knows in the sandbox and elsewhere. I didn't hear back from him on that one, though.

So yeah... i may have mentioned this before but i'll say it here again...

If a group of friends want to get together and sponsor a TTB it is easy and rewarding.

1. You pool your resources among however many folks you wish (c'mon... if you have half a dozen friends or so you're out about 50 bucks)

2. You specify whether you want to help start a "knowledge" or "entertainment" volume (see note above about the significant cross-over there nowadays) so that we know what color we're talking about.

3. You can either paypal me and let me buy the parts or you can order all the parts yourself and have them shipped to the TTB project. Either way, once everything arrives, i'll check it out, paint and assemble things, and put the case together.

4. We fill the drives with content from one of the master archive servers and send the case back to you. (Nowadays, parts have dropped so much in price that this initial shipping cost would very probably be covered by that $400 figure)

5. You check the drives out, verify that everything is as it should be, and then you send the case on to any friends or associates you have who can't be where they want to be nowadays due to certain world leaders' foreign policies.

6. We ask that you, your friends, etc. just check in with TTB HQ once in a while so that we know where this latest case is, what lives it is touching, etc. Photos are always a big plus and greatly appreciated.

7. You are entitled to, at any time, have the case shipped back to the TTB home base for content updates or even maintenance if small things go awry that we can fix with our own equipment stash.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Or .... can we just donate to the TTB?
        DJ Jackalope
        dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Comment

How many TTB's are out there right now?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
            Or .... can we just donate to the TTB?
            yes. people donate music, movies, and loads of stuff all the time. it's just a matter of getting the media to me and letting me sort it into a proper place on the master archive.

Originally posted by 0x58 View Post
            How many TTB's are out there right now?
            just two of them at the moment... one green and one tan. you can always check their status here. (although that map will be updated soon when the green case makes it to the guys in the 101)
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Somehow this project was completely missed by my radar. I have to say it kicks freaking ass. As someone who has spent his share of time in the big sandbox, this is definitely something we would have loved to have.

I brought a NES emulator and a bunch of ROMS with me on my last trip (several years ago) and put it on the computer in our work trailer. I've never seen Zelda played so much.

We need to get some more support behind this project and get more boxes to more units. Fund raising for the win!!

You know the Lockpicking Village, and now Wifi Village, always has a skybox throughout Defcon, maybe we can host a fund raiser of some kind one night. Maybe circulate fliers telling people to stop by and drop a few bucks in an empty Pelican case. Bring an example of a TTB for people to see if it's not deployed(Or maybe a new one).

A limited edition T-shirt with some clever/geek slogan. (I can sell them at my table in the vendor area if need be.)

I know money can make things interesting, but it's the best way for defcon peeps to help out. I'm just throwing out ideas.
              .: Grifter :.

Comment

The Wireless Village is more than happy to lend our support to any fundraiser on behalf of the TTB.
                "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                  yes. people donate music, movies, and loads of stuff all the time. it's just a matter of getting the media to me and letting me sort it into a proper place on the master archive.
                  How would you like us to get this to you? Also what format do you prefer it in? Do you have a place where we can look at what you already have?

just two of them at the moment... one green and one tan. you can always check their status here. (although that map will be updated soon when the green case makes it to the guys in the 101)
                  Awesome! Very cool project!

Comment

Originally posted by 0x58 View Post
                    How would you like us to get this to you? Also what format do you prefer it in? Do you have a place where we can look at what you already have?
                    http://travelingterabyte.org knows all and sees all. (except for the summary of the current content archive. i keep meaning to do that, but it's a huge undertaking.)
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                      http://travelingterabyte.org knows all and sees all. (except for the summary of the current content archive. i keep meaning to do that, but it's a huge undertaking.)
                      find /<path to media>

take the output, and put it in a <pre> tag and you should be good :P

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter View Post
                        A limited edition T-shirt with some clever/geek slogan. (I can sell them at my table in the vendor area if need be.)
                        If this gets done, I'd gladly pay cost+shipping+gratitude to get one mailed out to me. I don't think I'll be making it to DC16, but I'd sure like one of these tees.
                        She understands, but she doesn't comprehend...

The day I stop learning is the day they put me in a box.

Comment

If I make it to DC16 I will be happy to route the next one to Uzbekistan. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X