osx86(hacked) questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osx86(hacked) questions

ok, so does anyone know for a fact how it runs on a pc? ive heard that thers no gui, but that it runs faster on pc hardware than on mac. the only reason i would EVER consider running mac OS is because of some graphic design software it runs, and because its so much more secure than windows. but mac hardware is so bloody expensive that i might as well spend my time doing system restores on windows... so i was thinking that if i can get it to run on pc hardware, then it might be worth my while. is linux actually more secure than mac os (web browsing wise)? will it get malware or viruses?

thanks in advance, im off to go eat.
    unda est terminus. is iuguolo ambitus.

Re: osx86(hacked) questions

Originally posted by sharxbyte View Post
    ok, so does anyone know for a fact how it runs on a pc? ive heard that thers no gui, but that it runs faster on pc hardware than on mac. the only reason i would EVER consider running mac OS is because of some graphic design software it runs, and because its so much more secure than windows. but mac hardware is so bloody expensive that i might as well spend my time doing system restores on windows... so i was thinking that if i can get it to run on pc hardware, then it might be worth my while. is linux actually more secure than mac os (web browsing wise)? will it get malware or viruses?

thanks in advance, im off to go eat.
    I pretty much run everything. I would say 10.4 is more vetted than 10.5 which I here is very porous. Server is going to be different than desktop. As far as the hw goes, I don't understand why they get so much money for x86 hw as there a few differences to pc x86 hw. When it was Moto hw I could understand.

As far as viruses, there are some but much fewer than windows. IMHO root kits and exploits are a bigger concern that viruses in BSD and Linux. though that is changing.

MAC OSX has a bottomless pit file system. I actually did a recursive directory listing once to a file on OSX 10.4 server and the text file ended up being like 10mb. It made Windows look like DOS. Linux has a much more manageable directory structure.

MAC OSX is BSD, Linux is Linux, though close there are differences. IMHO and experience the TCP/IP stack is better and faster on BSD, than Linux. I'm making this statement from running game servers and responses from users and their associated experiences on apples to apples hw comparisons over time as WAN conditions vary day to day. Typically and over time I saw 10 - 20 msec latency improvements over Linux boxes to BSD boxes again apples to apples hw comparisons. That is a lot to a gamer. It could also be the lower overhead of BSD boxes.

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

so its worth while to try and boot mac OS on pc hardware? i was actually planning to dual boot max osx and windows, as i still use windows for its games and software etc. i wanted to use mac for web browsing, email, etc.

i already knew that both linux and mac were more secure than windows.(is that why they named it windows??? its so easy to crack =P )
      unda est terminus. is iuguolo ambitus.

Comment

Originally posted by sharxbyte View Post
        so its worth while to try and boot mac OS on pc hardware? i was actually planning to dual boot max osx and windows, as i still use windows for its games and software etc. i wanted to use mac for web browsing, email, etc.

i already knew that both linux and mac were more secure than windows.(is that why they named it windows??? its so easy to crack =P )
        Okay, have a read of http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

and enter "JAS osx86" into any of your favourite torrent search engines.

Should get you on your way.
        I only drink because my friends are boring...

Comment

xor:

s/MAC OSX/Mac OS X/

bottomless pit file system? Care to explain?

I can run a find / on a Linux system and also come up with a 10 MB file written to disk. I don't think that really has anything to do with the OS, and does not say anything about how things are structured.

As for Mac OS X as a desktop, I absolutely love it. Then again I run it on Apple sanctioned hardware. The most important fact to me when I run an OS is how stable is it. When I use my MacBook Pro I know that when I pull it out of my bag, I can open the latch, push the power button and have it boot up, and let me go to work. There is no tweaking, no fiddling, no re-compiling. It just works.

Comment

Everything that is wrong with the world is on display in this thread.
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by 0x58 View Post
              It just works.
              Heh, ironically that this is the marketing slogan that Microsoft came up with for Windows 2000, i believe. That is after they marketed Windows 98 with the slogan "It just works better."
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by 0x58 View Post
                xor:

s/MAC OSX/Mac OS X/

bottomless pit file system? Care to explain?

I can run a find / on a Linux system and also come up with a 10 MB file written to disk. I don't think that really has anything to do with the OS, and does not say anything about how things are structured.

As for Mac OS X as a desktop, I absolutely love it. Then again I run it on Apple sanctioned hardware. The most important fact to me when I run an OS is how stable is it. When I use my MacBook Pro I know that when I pull it out of my bag, I can open the latch, push the power button and have it boot up, and let me go to work. There is no tweaking, no fiddling, no re-compiling. It just works.
                I was referring to a directory only listing not the contents of the directories; it's just seems endless to me; hence bottomless pit. I pretty much know where everything is or is suppose to be when it comes to Linux and Window for that matter. Been using OS X for awhile now and it can still be a mystery.

xor
                Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxWyoA-wIKI

youtube video of os x 10.4 running on a sony vaio(man that took guts).

xor

Comment

Working...
                  X