X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AcidicA
    replied
    Re: What is your favorite book?

Holy crap thats my favorite Lovecraft story!

Leave a comment:

• Samurai Drifter
    replied

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about H.P. Lovecraft, he wrote some great stuff. I particularly liked "The Whisperers in Darkness."

Leave a comment:

• AcidicA
    replied

Well crap I have to post just because of all the stupid questions I get asked when I take my lunch break at work and pull out what ever novel I am reading that week.
    I have been reading a lot of William Gibson lately. I think I am so opposed to steam punk that I am jumping into cyberpunk ever more.
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr is AWESOME! Very big read but so much detail and history.
    The Forgotten realms Avatar Trilogy got me into reading in elementary school and holds a warm place in my heart.
    H.P. Lovecraft in always a favorite, I just love turn of the century literary devices.
    Anthony Bordaines Kitchen Confidential is extremal important to me as a guide to how I should act in the kitchen (like a total douche bag :) )
    Has anyone put just 1 book yet?

Leave a comment:

• signcarver
    replied

A book I haven't read in a while but for some reason feel the urge to read again is Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We"... for some reason I could more easily identify the characters being "numbers" (such as D-503) rather than names and wish more books would do so... I know I'm probably in an extreme minority as most tend to find it much harder to associate numbers with people than names but for me it comes easy. I guess I've been staring at the numbers a little too long.

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

Originally posted by Samurai Drifter View Post
    Another favorite is "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. It follows a character who lives in a very collectivist society- the word "I" has been erased from the English language, technological advancement is closely controlled, etc. Basically, the main character is a free thinker who revolts against this society.
    If you like "Anthem", you should read Rand's "The Fountainhead" and definitely read "Atlas Shrugged." The ideas that Rand started with in "Anthem" became fully developed in those two books.

Leave a comment:

• Samurai Drifter
    replied

It's hard to choose.

If I had to pick one, it would be the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman. For those who don't know, the basic premise is two kids traveling across a myriad of parallel universes having epic adventures, ultimately going through the land of the dead and fighting an oppressive deity called The Authority (obviously symbolic of god).

Another favorite is "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. It follows a character who lives in a very collectivist society- the word "I" has been erased from the English language, technological advancement is closely controlled, etc. Basically, the main character is a free thinker who revolts against this society.

Leave a comment:

• telemonster
    replied

Hmmm. Fire in the Valley was good. There was a book I had but cannot find called "The Silicon Boys" I believe. I need to get a copy off of Half.com or Amazon.com.

These days, most things I read are about housing bubbles, and the fraud that is the US banking system and Wall Street.

House of Bush, House of Saud was also a good listen (audiobook) :-)

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
    An aside: Getting my books organized both physically and in a catalog is something that I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I recently found this software: http://www.collectorz.com/book/ It's great, especially when combined with a barcode reader. I've gotten through two rooms so far...
    I'm quite fond of Library Thing, personally. The LT website also supports the use of a Cuecat scanner for adding books, which I thought a nice touch (though tagging books, if you've a mind to do so) can wear on you a bit. They also allow you to download the contents of your personal catalogue as an XML file, so if you want to use it offline for some reason you don't have to re-enter everything (though I don't recall if they make their DTD available). As for the forums, they tend to be hit or miss depending on what you're looking for.

It boils down to whether or not you trust a website to keep everything for you, or if you want to store it all locally.

As for my favorite books, I still have a soft spot in my heart for Neuromancer. I think I've been through three or four copies of it over the years, both hardback and paperback. I'm not sure what runs a close second or third anymore, probably whatever books I happen to be reading at the time.
    Last edited by The Doctor; April 14, 2008, 13:14. Reason: Forgot to add my favorite books; didn't want to reply to the thread again.

Leave a comment:

• barry99705
    replied

Ooooh, I forgot, The Forever War, by Joe W Haldeman. I first read it as a graphic novel in middle school, then later picked up the book.

Leave a comment:

• Suriyawong
    replied

Well, I'm going to have to say that my overall favorite book is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I love the story of the book, and its so well written that just about anybody could enjoy the book. Well, at least most males...

That said, I don't know if the Ender/Shadow series is my favorite or not. I love the Harry Potter books as well, and those are close. If I had to pick which one I enjoyed more, I guess I'd have to say Harry Potter.

I also just finished reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and it was wonderful. I've started The Restaurant at the End of the Universe now too =)

Also, the Mechwarrior Dark Age series is fairly good (can you tell I like Sci-fi?) though not all of the books are. It's basically written by a lot of different authors, and if you want to read the best ones, pick up one written by Loren L. Coleman. Good author for Mechwarrior stuff.

These were all entertainment picks though, not any other purpose... no fancy schmancy authors here. ;)

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

I nearly forgot one. I spent a good deal of time engrossed in "The Company" by Robert Littell, subtitled "A Novel of the CIA." Amazing detail and accuracy, and very involving. I'd bet serious money that Erehwon has also read it.

Leave a comment:

• barry99705
    replied

We got them at Fred Meyers. Too bad they don't have those stores around here. Closest we could find were at Staples. We're using 10 of them upstairs as a divider and to hide the filing cabinets in the office. I like the ones at Staples better because the top shelf is still the same size when there's another shelf stacked on top. The ones we have now need a spacer that I haven't built yet. As it is now, only paper backs can go on that shelf. I guess right now my favorite books are the Harry Potter series. I wasn't going to read them until all the movies were done. I didn't want to ruin the movies. I started on them monday and I'm on the fourth one. Probably my all time favorite is Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. There's also a Green, then Blue Mars in the series. It gets kinda weird in the last one though. There's also the Dresden Files books, which are really good. I think I mentioned over in the netstumbler forums the program we're using to keep track of everything is Readerware. We use a bar code scanner to get the isbn numbers then it goes out on the tubes and pulls the info from Amazon, Library of Congress, pretty much anywhere that keeps that kind of data. We use it for the DVD/CD library as well. We let iTunes keep track of all the music.

Leave a comment:

• goathead
    replied

I find it hard to choose my favorite, because I enjoy many for different reasons obviously, but Brian Lumley's Necroscope storyline had me engrossed for awhile. Ive been meaning to go back thru Ursula K LeGuin's Lathe of Heaven. Met her at a Orycon when I was just a little tard. Met Heinlein as well bopping around the elevator at the Orycon several times, but didn't know how cool that was at the time. Time enough for love was a good installment in the Lazerus Long storyline.

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
    I had them all organized, and then, I moved. Sigh. I really need to take about a week, and do it again.
    I actually had 90% of my books organized by the Library of Congress classification system before I moved.

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

Thanks. That makes it tantalizing, but probably out of reach. We're in one of the few states that doesn't have a Target. The nearest are about 150 miles away in the Albany NY area (one way) or Concord NH (the other way). I'll have to see if they sell them online.
    Then Crate & Barrel also has something similar. Heck, if there's a Kroger's in your area, so do they. Of course, Target also probably has them online. Really, the best ones are the ones from Target.

http://www.target.com/Folding-Bookca...ank&rh=&page=2

Ew. Line wrap for sure. This is a smaller version of one that I have, for $50.

Your reading habits sound like mine and my wife's. We've had non-reading types walk into our house and ask if it's actually a library.
    My favorite question is usually "Did you *read* all those books?" and I usually answer with "No, I just keep them around to start fires in the fireplace." The former den adjoining the former family room in my current house is officially a library (bookcases on every wall), adjoining the computer room. I had them all organized, and then, I moved. Sigh. I really need to take about a week, and do it again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X