circuitry terminology question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circuitry terminology question

I figure some folks here who were EE majors or who live with their solder iron strapped to their hip in a holster may know the terminology here better than I do. Many people have seen toys that light up when kids bounce or throw them. One thing that i'm thinking of specifically are little, hard rubber balls that have a motion-activated circuit. The motion sensor is a tiny spring coil surrounding a pillar, when jiggled it makes contact and starts the lights a-flashin'

see the following low-res, shitty picture for a notion of what i mean...

(i realized when i pulled this thing out of the drawer that the tiny spring snapped off ages ago.)

Is there a proper industry name for these types of circuits or devices? Does anyone know of a vendor from whom you can purchase them in bulk? I bow before your knowledge.

Mmmm, solder... it's not just for sealing cans of food anymore!
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: circuitry terminology question

I just happen to have a Hexabug here on my desk with a pair of those things on him for antennae. Follows the same principle. The spring makes contact with the rod and it fires a one shot to the chip and tells it to back up. In your case, it fires a one shot to the chip and tells it to start it's sequence of flashes.

I'd check some robotic supply houses, and if you can't find them there, then make them yourself, I'm sure you can find small springs and rods somewhere.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Generically, they are "contact switches" or "movement/motion sensors".

Try Digikey and Mouser for bulk sales.

http://www.digikey.com/

http://www.mouser.com/

Also, bug Lost about this. He has more sources for hardware than you can shake a stick at.
      Thorn
      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Accelerometers if they measure G forces. I prefer mercury switches myself :-); just kidding.

xor
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Hey Deviant,

If you're looking for a type of motion sensor, I believe I have some simple ones that I could send ya.

They're basically a little plastic box with 6 bare wires running through it, there's a metal ball inside the wires. As long as the box is sitting flat, the ball doesn't make contact with anything. Even the slightest movement the ball will touch two and set off your circuit. I think I have maybe 4 or 5 of them, not sure.
          A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
            I believe I have some simple ones that I could send ya.
            wow... everyone's been really cool about all the responses, particularly the offer to send me stuff... but i was just forwarding on a question that someone asked me at dinner the other night since i didn't have a decent answer for them myself. thanks so much for help with the correct terminology and parts vendor recommendations. that should put this gal in the right direction on her own now.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
              wow... everyone's been really cool about all the responses, particularly the offer to send me stuff... but i was just forwarding on a question that someone asked me at dinner the other night since i didn't have a decent answer for them myself. thanks so much for help with the correct terminology and parts vendor recommendations. that should put this gal in the right direction on her own now.
              Depending on what the required use, size, reliability and cost requirement is, I can probably point you in the right direction for aircraft components, maybe even send some test samples.

*edit* As long as it's not a rush job, it's a long way across the pond.
              I only drink because my friends are boring...

Comment

Working...
              X