X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet
    replied
    Re: RFID in H&K handguns

SIG-Sauer has jumped into adding RFIDs to their firearms.

http://www.sigsauer.com/AboutUs/News...StoriesVA.aspx

Exeter NH, May 9 2008: SIG SAUER announces the availability of the SIG SAUER Weapons Visibility Network. The Weapons Visibility Network provides real-time visibility of current location and history of weapons, personnel and high-value assets such as night vision goggles and armored vests. It is powered by highly secure, metal friendly RuBee (IEEE P1902.1) wireless technology, developed by Visible Assets, Inc. The solution is currently in operation at highly secure United States Government locations. The Weapons Visibility Network technology is available to be built into our industry-leading products, such as the P226, P229, and P250 pistols, as well as the SIG556 rifles.

The Weapons Visibility Network provides government, military, and law enforcement agencies with real-time information on armory inventory, the flow of weapons in and out of secure locations, and maintenance and training activities. In addition to the electronics embedded in weapon grips and inventory tags, the solution consists of “RuBee Appliances” such as portals, weapons racks, mats, and specialized shelving. The weapons’ visibility data flows through these appliances and is presented to users via a secure, thin-client application.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    anyone have the details there? i'm assuming it's a measure directed at manufacturing as opposed to purchase/ownership, yes?
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/po..._1471&sess=CUR

It is indeed directed at manufacturing, current firearms are not covered from what I read.

Leave a comment:

• Quiet
    replied

anyone have the details there? i'm assuming it's a measure directed at manufacturing as opposed to purchase/ownership, yes?
    A CA 01-FFL dealer can not sell any handgun not on the CA approved list to a non-LEO CA resident.
    Currently, all handgun submitted for testing to be placed on the CA approved list must have a CA approved loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect.
    The new legislation requires all pistols submitted for testing to have a CA approved loaded chamber indicator, a magazine disconnect and micro-stamping.

The CA approved list is basically a device implemented by CA to limit the types of handguns that can be legally sold by a 01-FFL dealer to non-LEOs in CA.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
    Goes into effect in 2010.

Leave a comment:

• Quiet
    replied

there are actual proposals every now and then in the legislative arena for what's known as "micro-stamping" which would require all weapon receivers and/or striking hammers to imprint unique numbers or identifying marks onto the casings of rounds as they are chambered or fired. Of course this would do absolutely nothing to deter criminals from tampering with such a feature (like they do presently with removal of serial numbers) and would be virtually useless on a revolver which doesn't expend brass, to say nothing of the fact that it is entirely non-feasible to even design weapons to do this without bankrupting the manufacturers.

But then again, that's what most legislators really want when they propose such measures... they don't expect them to be implemented, but to force most smaller dealers out of business and to make the remaining producers' products prohibitively expensive at the retail end.
    Even though a UC Davis study showed how ineffective current "micro-stamping" technology is, "micro-stamping" legislation was passed and signed into law in CA.
    Goes into effect in 2010.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by telemonster View Post
    The gun programs the bullet's RFID with the gun's serial number
    there are actual proposals every now and then in the legislative arena for what's known as "micro-stamping" which would require all weapon receivers and/or striking hammers to imprint unique numbers or identifying marks onto the casings of rounds as they are chambered or fired. Of course this would do absolutely nothing to deter criminals from tampering with such a feature (like they do presently with removal of serial numbers) and would be virtually useless on a revolver which doesn't expend brass, to say nothing of the fact that it is entirely non-feasible to even design weapons to do this without bankrupting the manufacturers.

But then again, that's what most legislators really want when they propose such measures... they don't expect them to be implemented, but to force most smaller dealers out of business and to make the remaining producers' products prohibitively expensive at the retail end.

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

Originally posted by Greyhatter View Post
    To be sure I only quoted on one man's words working on a black project for Lockheed. x33 is now declassified. I do know the government keeps very close track of every employee and government official working on top secret projects. If I've set off too many "bullshit detectors" in here rest assured that the government has many black projects and employs federal and corporate employees in developing stuff you won't see on the market for many years if ever at all. Consider all the tech stuff you own now that our government invented, "patented" if you will, for their use that's in use in electronics you can now walk into Walmart and buy for your families. I'd say the "real bullshit" could be in your denial, or perhaps the fact that you never had sufficient clearance at Lockheed to be in the know.
    While it is tempting to get into a dick-waving contest here, I'll decline. I do find it amusing that you are taking my "denial" as meaningful.

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Originally posted by telemonster View Post
    How about RFID's in the bullets. The gun programs the bullet's RFID with the gun's serial number before it's fired, and then it's easy to look up in a national database.
    Hell, why stop there, how about just encode the shooter's DNA on each bullet.

Leave a comment:

• telemonster
    replied

How about RFID's in the bullets. The gun programs the bullet's RFID with the gun's serial number before it's fired, and then it's easy to look up in a national database.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by valanx View Post
    Should a government wish to track people, RFID would be unlikely to make the short list of options.
    indeed, facial recognition would be much more feasible if/when it eventually evolves into something wholly evil.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Should a government wish to track people, RFID would be unlikely to make the short list of options. Especially considering that most of what (at least in the US government) is going on now involves tying existing data together to pull a complete picture of an event or person. This shows patterns, and predictability. It also gives multiple points of reference other than putting all the eggs into something that wouldn't work in the first place.

And on the whole super secret Lockheed deal, it could be the guy in question was just bullshitting. When someone is on the edge of their seat all wide eyed and saying "REALLY?" it is just too easy to not throw in a few (thousand) embellishments.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Like has been mentioned, for most RFID systems, large scale tracking is unfiesable to implement on the sly. Range is the main issue, people would notice readers at every door.

The part that should scare people is feature creep of existing systems (speedpass, ezpass, etc). Systems like that can start with good intentions, but when gov't and others realize the data that can be mined, that's when it gets scary.

If you want to know more, buy my damn book, linked below.

Leave a comment:

• Greyhatter
    replied

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
    Your friend wouldn't happen to be Bob Lazar would it?
    I do not know Bob Lazar. Further, I do not believe he ever worked at Lockheed. Nevertheless, here is a photo of my x33 project acquaintance just visiting:

Clicky

You're really into this "alien" thing aren't you?
    Last edited by Greyhatter; April 14, 2008, 19:06.

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Originally posted by Greyhatter View Post
    To be sure I only quoted on man's words working on a black project for Lockheed. x33 is now declassified. If I've set off too many "bullshit detectors" in here rest assured that the government has many black projects and employs feds and corporates in developing stuff you won't see on the market for many years if ever. Consider all the tech stuff you own now that our government invented for their use that you can now walk into WalMart and buy for your families. I'd say the "real bullshit" could be in your denial or the fact that you never had sufficient clearance at Lockheed to be in the know.
    Your friend wouldn't happen to be Bob Lazar would it?

Leave a comment:

• Greyhatter
    replied

I've worked at Lockheed (no A, thanks). I've worked at multiple aerospace companies. This is complete and total bullshit. No, and I mean absolutely *NO* "top security" door is going to open off of an RFID. Ever. Didn't happen. Look up compartmentalized security (for starters). Look up Tempest (no, mostly Tempest's not used anymore, but it gives a really good idea of why RFID won't work in those areas). Jeeze, man. The management of this data alone is mind boggling.
    To be sure I only quoted on one man's words working on a black project for Lockheed. x33 is now declassified. I do know the government keeps very close track of every employee and government official working on top secret projects. If I've set off too many "bullshit detectors" in here rest assured that the government has many black projects and employs federal and corporate employees in developing stuff you won't see on the market for many years if ever at all. Consider all the tech stuff you own now that our government invented, "patented" if you will, for their use that's in use in electronics you can now walk into Walmart and buy for your families. I'd say the "real bullshit" could be in your denial, or perhaps the fact that you never had sufficient clearance at Lockheed to be in the know.
    Last edited by Greyhatter; April 14, 2008, 13:27.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X