Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it too late to declair Vista a failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late to declair Vista a failure?

I'm afraid it may be so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye in Redmond, WA WA Washington.

Let's see here. A recession. Apple shares up. Microsoft is loosing the battle to replace Windows XP with Vista while businesses are also holding out or simply don't need it. And here is the cake... The client division of Microsoft, which includes the Windows and Vista operating systems, reported sales of $4.03 billion, down 24% from the year-earlier period, although most of the decline was due to a revenue gain of $1.6 billion deferred from earlier quarters on sales of Vista.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...0_FORTUNE5.htm

And take a peek at the incredible ongoing resistance to Vista:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...rsus-xp_1.html

And on April 23rd Apple reported Q2 profit up 36% to $1.05B! I should have put EVERYTHING Apple in my stock portfolio just 2 years ago and I'd be fully retired and living in Fiji right now!

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...1/daily67.html

I'm just wondering if Bill is "really' gonna retire this year or go down with the burning ship? What do you think? Can his other crappy products revenue keep Microsoft afloat? If you think these are crappy products now just wait till they overcome Yahoo to chase Google. At this rate Microsoft has become as soundly run as our U.S. Government and we all love how well that lubed machine runs.

If you own Microsoft shares should you sell now? When Microsoft hits an all time low would you buy any shares if Bill still runs the company?

What would you do? What do you think? Is this the "perfect storm" for Microsoft's future?
    Last edited by Greyhatter; April 26, 2008, 23:52. Reason: sucks

Re: Is it too late to declair Vista a failure?

I think Vista is a great sales tool for Mac. I type this on a Mac Air, not my Dell with Vista. If Vista is the future of doze, then the Dell will be my last Microsoft box.

Comment

Microsoft needs to understand that most companies aren't interested in replacing an OS the moment a new one is released. I'm sure many companies are in a similar situation as mine where they're still replaced Win2k machines with XP, and a jump to Vista would impact vital systems. The compatibility with obscure hardware is going to kill Vista for the business market.
      A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
        I think Vista is a great sales tool for Mac. I type this on a Mac Air, not my Dell with Vista. If Vista is the future of doze, then the Dell will be my last Microsoft box.
        I've read a few articles where the authors stated that Microsoft has started to disavow Vista. They have already started talking about the post Vista operating system.

From what I see the main issue is hardware related. Laptop sales are up over desktop sales and the trend seems to go smaller and more mobile, not that desktops, workstations and servers aren't still needed.

As much as you can trust that little performance benchmark tester in the control panel I've yet to see a standard(non-gamer sub $1500) laptop that can manage anything better than 4.5. I've been shopping for a tablet so I've been going out to stores and looking around for something higher end. Most tablets, compacts or ultra-portables have the Intel GMX 3100 graphics processors which isn't really considered high end. I think this benchmark test hurts them as it makes it very easy for anyone to do apples to apples comparisons.

I have a friend that recently purchased a brand new Dell XPS 1310 Core 2 Duo with NVidia 8600 128mb card and it would still freeze for periods of time running Vista.

Then there are the 4 or 5 different favors of Vista, talk about confusing neophytes even more. Some of the really good stuff like the formally WInternals recovery tools only come with the Enterprise edition which is very annoying.

It seems hardware designers are just brute forcing designs without any real innovation. More cores to do more work rather than innovative architectures, and or computer languages.

In the end I think Microsoft is only part of the problem, a large part; but it isn't like there aren't alternatives to Microsoft. The warm fuzzy OSC needs to get a little bit commercial and Microsoft needs to get a little bit warm and fuzzy, Apple seems to be doing the best job thus far of walking this line; IMHO.

xor

Vista, The Pretty Song by xor

I feel pretty,
        Oh, so pretty,
        I feel pretty and witty and bright!
        And I pity
        Any OS who isn't Vista tonight.

I feel charming,
        Oh, so charming
        It's alarming how charming I feel!
        And so pretty
        That I hardly can believe I'm real.

See the pretty OS in that screen there:
        Who can that attractive OS be?
        Such a pretty Desktop,
        Such a pretty API,
        Such a pretty GUI,
        Such a pretty Command Shell!

I feel stunning
        And entrancing,
        Feel like running at 100% and overheating,
        For I'm loved
        By a pretty stupid Vista User!
        Last edited by xor; April 27, 2008, 17:50.
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post

Vista, The Pretty Song by xor

I feel pretty,
          Oh, so pretty,
          I feel pretty and witty and bright!
          And I pity
          Any OS who isn't Vista tonight.

I feel charming,
          Oh, so charming
          It's alarming how charming I feel!
          And so pretty
          That I hardly can believe I'm real.

See the pretty OS in that screen there:
          Who can that attractive OS be?
          Such a pretty Desktop,
          Such a pretty API,
          Such a pretty GUI,
          Such a pretty Command Shell!

I feel stunning
          And entrancing,
          Feel like running at 100% and overheating,
          For I'm loved
          By a pretty stupid Vista User!
          Priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
            Microsoft needs to understand that most companies aren't interested in replacing an OS the moment a new one is released. I'm sure many companies are in a similar situation as mine where they're still replaced Win2k machines with XP, and a jump to Vista would impact vital systems. The compatibility with obscure hardware is going to kill Vista for the business market.
            And the pisser is, Microsoft either does not know, does not care, but continues to act like Gods as they treat their customers like shit about it all. It's "what the customer wants" that counts and drives profits. If Microsoft is so big it no longer is in touch with "what the customer wants and needs" then that is the beginning of its end. I have to wonder about the similarities between Microsoft and the U.S. Government when they both act the same toward who they are serving. If size really does matter, I'd have to say they are both too big for even the largest size weener cleaner.
            Last edited by Greyhatter; April 28, 2008, 13:58.

Comment

Working...
            X