Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defcon/Blackhat Hotel choice

<De-lurks>
    Hi all, I have finally posted on the forum after several years of lurking due to being in the UK and unable to face the dissappointment of not going to Defcon every year.

I have just convinced my employer to send me to blackhat though this year so will be able to stay for my first Defcon.

My first question which I can't find in the FAQ is about which hotel would people recommend.
    More specifically, is it common for Blackhat folks to stay in Ceasar's Palace during Blackhat and then move to the Riviera for Defcon? I wasn't sure what the difference was and how easy it is to get between the two. A 3am cab ride after many-lots beer doesn't sound pleasant!
    I've never been to Vegas so don't know much about it. Note I am not paying so price isnt really a factor

Other than that, any hints for coming to Defcon/Blackhat on your own?

Re: Defcon/Blackhat Hotel choice

Friends and I will stay at the Riv for the entire BH/DC stay.

Comment

I've been tempted to consider the AP. I like the laid back layout.
      If a chicken and a half, can lay an egg and a half, in a day and a half... how long would it take a monkey, with a wooden leg, to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Comment

I hear they have fences now.

Comment

Originally posted by the_wodon View Post
          More specifically, is it common for Blackhat folks to stay in Ceasar's Palace during Blackhat and then move to the Riviera for Defcon?
          I've done just that for a number of years. Being on site for both conferences is worth the hassle of switching venues.

Comment

I'm with A. Ceasar's for Black Hat, move to the Riviera Thursday night.
            .: Grifter :.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter View Post
              I'm with A. Ceasar's for Black Hat, move to the Riviera Thursday night.
              Exactly what I have done when attending both.

I do know some people that stay at the Riv for both and others that stay at Caesar's for both.

Matter of $$$$ and personal choice. Cab rides back and forth can be a royal pain and it is a far walk even in the "cool" of the morning and evenings.
              DaKahuna

Comment

Personally I like been at the hotel of the conference just because it's easier to drop your stuff (Let say your travelling with a laptop).

If you end up randomly going to dinner or partying with some people, you will want to go drop you gear as quickly as possible...
                /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Ditto on shit.

The easiest way to get between is a block walk each side and monorail ride.. between Caesars->Falmingo and MGM->Rivera. Cheaper if single, especially if you've bought a block of monorail rides at the lower rate .. unless you're in a group and split cab fair, then that works out to some advantage.
                  if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

The GF and I will be staying in the Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Strip (not to be confused with the Las Vegas Hilton, or the Hilton Grand Vacations Club at the Las Vegas Hilton. How many hotels do they need in such a small space!?) for Defcon. It's not much of a walk (across the strip and about halfway up to the Sahara).

About $170-180 for an awesome suite per night. It's not 100&#37; ideal as far as the con goes, but there are other plans at work that require slightly better ambiance than a tiny room that serves as a place to crash and store stuff.

Mind you, if you have a ton of people to cram in a room, and want a kitchen (to store your booze in the fridge, or cook your own ramen, or something) it might not be a bad option.

I wouldn't even CONSIDER that place for Blackhat, though. Way, way too far out of the way.

Comment

doh! that's right. major edit to my last post, not the MGM, the Hilton.
                      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips.

Looks like I will be staying at Caesars and The Riv changing hotels on the Thursday night.

Only me and the wife are going so no need to cram people into a room!

Comment

I'm at the MGM this year..... last year I was at Ceasars for BH/DC ...

I'm sure there will be plenty of nights I don't make it back up to MGM though..... can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                          X