Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone replaced the HD on their Mac ibook G4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone replaced the HD on their Mac ibook G4?

I am more than 1/2 way through doing it, at the part where you are doing fun things with power connectors and pulling screws out of the motherboard.

I am using 2 tutorials:
    http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/...hw/ibook/g4hd/
    http://www.sterpin.net/uk/ddibookg4uk.htm

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to get the mobo off the computer... anyone done this before?
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Re: Has anyone replaced the HD on their Mac ibook G4?

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
    I am more than 1/2 way through doing it, at the part where you are doing fun things with power connectors and pulling screws out of the motherboard.

I am using 2 tutorials:

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to get the mobo off the computer... anyone done this before?
    OMG!!!!!! I just looked at the tut, what a royal pain in the ARSE!!!!. Wish I could help you, Barry or Bleakmen I'm sure are the people you want to talk to DJ. Good luck and best wishes anyway. :-)

xor

Try here DJ

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo...acement/83/14/

Check out notebookreview.com if you haven't already for additional support and questions. Not just for reviews.
    Also stay away from the BFS, plastic scribes are more case friendly. :-)
    Last edited by xor; May 4, 2008, 21:57.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
      OMG!!!!!! I just looked at the tut, what a royal pain in the ARSE!!!!.
      Agreed. iBook was definitely not built to be pulled apart again. I wish you the best of luck, but if you have a major disaster, I can tell you that a HD upgrade in the MBP CoreDuo is very simple, and their not too bad a price.

I also noticed in the ifixit guide they show a few components being removed single handed, but be careful as the shields can bend very easily. Use both hands, plus a friends if you can borrow them.
      I only drink because my friends are boring...

Comment

I am using 2 tutorials:

Dude, give me the serial number and I'll email you the service manual. My username@gmail.com, you can also skype me at the same user name if you have any questions. Yea, they are a huge pain in the ass to take apart. I've done a couple hundred, it gets easier after the tenth or eleventh.

Comment

If you're just replacing the drive, you don't need to pull the logic board. Once you get the top shield off, the drive comes out with a few screws.

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
            If you're just replacing the drive, you don't need to pull the logic board. Once you get the top shield off, the drive comes out with a few screws.
            I'm stuck at getting the topshield off. I also can't find something that the little magnet circular thing will grab onto. I noticed its a lot smaller on the 12" ones - mine is a 14" and has a bigger magnet.

Thank you for letting me know i dont need to pull the board out, i'll get to screwing those back in and reconnecting power. That's where I was like "eep! wait a sec!" (followed by, is this really designed this hellishly?!)

And wait: if you can get to the HD from the top, any idea why they want you to open the bottom up nearly all the way?

Barry-- will get you a # in a bit, thank you for the offer.. you near denver??
            Last edited by DJ Jackalope; May 5, 2008, 10:42. Reason: thought of another question!
            DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

I'm stuck at getting the topshield off. I also can't find something that the little magnet circular thing will grab onto. I noticed its a lot smaller on the 12" ones - mine is a 14" and has a bigger magnet.

Thank you for letting me know i dont need to pull the board out, i'll get to screwing those back in and reconnecting power. That's where I was like "eep! wait a sec!" (followed by, is this really designed this hellishly?!)

And wait: if you can get to the HD from the top, any idea why they want you to open the bottom up nearly all the way?

Barry-- will get you a # in a bit, thank you for the offer.. you near denver??
              Not near enough. The service manual will give you step by step destructions. Yea, they really are designed that hellishly.... I don't think you'll need to pull the bottom shield, just the upper and lower plastics, and the top shield (that would be the aluminum part under the outer plastic). I use a bigger magnet to pull the little magnet out of the screw hole. Hard drive magnets come in handy for that.

Comment

Yes, destructions is so correct. The upper plastic is giving me a bunch of grief, but I'll keep prying. (no pun intended) Good call on the bigger magnet! (Duh!)

thank you! Am planning on finishing destroying my laptop later on tonight. Or rather, putting in a 120gb drive...uh...

Not near enough. The service manual will give you step by step destructions. Yea, they really are designed that hellishly.... I don't think you'll need to pull the bottom shield, just the upper and lower plastics, and the top shield (that would be the aluminum part under the outer plastic). I use a bigger magnet to pull the little magnet out of the screw hole. Hard drive magnets come in handy for that.
                DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Yes, destructions is so correct. The upper plastic is giving me a bunch of grief, but I'll keep prying. (no pun intended) Good call on the bigger magnet! (Duh!)

thank you! Am planning on finishing destroying my laptop later on tonight. Or rather, putting in a 120gb drive...uh...
                  There are screws holding it from the bottom. Make sure you get them all. One on each corner, and I believe one by the latch. I'm going on memory here, but I think that's where they are.

Comment

I think I might have one of these that I carefully disassembled. If you do break some of the plastic parts, I'll be happy to give you what I have.
                    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

There are screws holding it from the bottom. Make sure you get them all. One on each corner, and I believe one by the latch. I'm going on memory here, but I think that's where they are.
                      Oh! there's also two pointing straight up in the corners of the battery bay, and I think two more on each side of the power connector in the battery bay as well.

Comment

You guys are the awesomeness! I will report back later! I have cracked the thin casing around my power port on the top case, freaking old plastic! Nothing too horrible. I am just awaiting my room to get hit by lightning or something while I am doing all this!
                        DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

If it can't be fixed, send it to me for the next time I go to the range! ;)
                          Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

You get this thing fixed yet, or are you waiting for the weekend?

Comment

You get this thing fixed yet, or are you waiting for the weekend?
                              Heh....been slacking and doing finals and writing reviews for the ezine I volunteer for....will keep you guys posted!
                              DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Working...
                              X