Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado Tornado, you're doing it wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Tornado, you're doing it wrong!

Wow. This is my day.

Go to work at 8am.
    Deal with people, fix other employees mistakes.
    11:30 The guys who in theory fixed the roof the last time came in and asked me if the roof was holding up. I looked outside, it was sprinkling out. “It looks fine.” the guys leave.
    11:35 Water is heard dripping on the ceiling tiles.
    11:36 Is pouring rain out. Like 40 day flood style. Mixed with 1/2" hail.
    11:38 Water is pouring into the dept where I work through multiple leaks. (Can has bukkits?)
    11:50ish Power goes off.
    12:10 News filters into the store that there is a tornado warning out. (Warning means: tornado IN the immediate area.)
    12:11 Make all the remaining customers and employees go into the small bathroom hallway and hope we dont get killed by the art books in the area and flying glass.
    12:30 Warning is over. Let customers roam around the store to buy stuff, etc. In the dark...no clue why they did that.
    1:20 Power finally goes on.
    2:00 Awning blows off the side of the building and into the parking lot. Luckily no one was parked there or walking around. “What was that noise outside?” “Oh, just part of the building falling apart.” “Is that all?”

I make it home. A mile away from my house a lot of the power poles were snapped. Power company folks were working on it. The local fire dept had just finihed sawing through a branch that had fallen across the road. Pull into the neighborhood. Most of the people for some weird reason have GIANT metal sheds. All of them are destroyed and the metal from them is all around the yards and street and cornfields and stuff. Trees are snapped. A roof from a house is misplaced on its foundation. Its your stereotypical tornado scene on the news only it's in my neighborhood.

Now I'm back in the store i work at again. Its about 10pm. We have no power and its looking like we arent going to have any for quite a long while My mom wanted to go read and I wanted to charge my gear.

Pictures are coming later.
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Re: Colorado Tornado, you're doing it wrong!

Sounds like your day really blowed :-).

Yeah I know awful...

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Eesh. I'm glad that you came through safely at least. I woke up around noon because my blinds were banging and some of my carpet get rained on, then went back to sleep. I had no idea until later that anything like that had happened.
      " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
      - Willard Orman Van Quine

Comment

Same type of thing in the Riverside, California area. My friend tells me that one day it's 105 degrees outside and in the next couple of days he's having thunderstorms and hail accompanied by a tornado..a tornado in Southern California! Pretty crazy stuff if you ask me.
        Answering easy questions since 1987
        Si Dieu est pour moi, qui peut ĂȘtre contre moi?

Comment

I heard about the CA tornado from 23b. WTF!

So yesterday, i got back from liberating power and internet and on my way into the neighborhood, i passed a storm chaser going the other way. I'm thinking, awesome, that could mean one of two things. 1. RUN. 2.The storm isn't going to do anything bad at the moment.

The sky looked like it was about to dump hail, so i continued on my path and got inside. About a minute later, the emergency vehicles in my neighborhood who were helping with cleanup (firedept, state patrol) all had their sirens going. I didnt know if it was cuz they were going somewhere or just well...tornado warning. I made a couple unsuccessful phone calls to confirm. Mom called and got through. Tornado warning. My cat and i learned the basement is fun with a flashlight and snacks.

I am glad i dont live in tornado country. that would just freak me the fuck out to have to get used to that.
          DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Pictures up:
            http://23b.org/gallery/v/23b_members...-Girl/tornado/

This isn't even the town...I know the town is much worse.
            DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
              I am glad i dont live in tornado country. that would just freak me the fuck out to have to get used to that.
              You get used to them. I have to re-get used to them. Haven't had to worry about them for 17 years. We've already had one on the ground about 20 miles from here this year. Don't think it hit anything other than fields though.

Comment

Between the explosive decompress and the shearing forces of the vortex they are an incredible display of nature. Building everything with right angles as most structures are doesn't help them survive.

xor
                Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                  Between the explosive decompress and the shearing forces of the vortex they are an incredible display of nature. Building everything with right angles as most structures are doesn't help them survive.

xor
                  Well we all can't live in monolithic concrete dome homes. Would be cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
                    Well we all can't live in monolithic concrete dome homes. Would be cool though.
                    I just don't get why they let people rebuild with wood planks and beams. Steel re-enforced concrete though unattractive & expensive would be a better solution. The problem with wood houses a side from the obvious is the space in between the walls which will explode with the decompression. Solid concrete wouldn't have that problem, the interior cosmetic walls would get trashed but the structure would remain even with right angles.

A pyramid design might also be an interesting one; just not wood 2x4's and metal siding.

On a lighter note the 2x4 gun they have is really cool. It's used for testing the effects of a 2x4 flying at 100mph to see what kind of damage it would do in a hurricane or tornado. That and the chicken gun(used for testing bird impact on airplane frames, engines and windshields) are very interesting.

xor

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                      I just don't get why they let people rebuild with wood planks and beams. Steel re-enforced concrete though unattractive & expensive would be a better solution. The problem with wood houses a side from the obvious is the space in between the walls which will explode with the decompression. Solid concrete wouldn't have that problem, the interior cosmetic walls would get trashed but the structure would remain even with right angles.

A pyramid design might also be an interesting one; just not wood 2x4's and metal siding.

On a lighter note the 2x4 gun they have is really cool. It's used for testing the effects of a 2x4 flying at 100mph to see what kind of damage it would do in a hurricane or tornado. That and the chicken gun(used for testing bird impact on airplane frames, engines and windshields) are very interesting.

xor
                      I've personally seen the effects of birds traveling at high speed on aircraft. Actually it's the other way around... A seagull after being hit by an F-15 at 400Mph does a hell of a lot of damage. We had a robin hit a targeting pod and pretty much removed everything inside the pod. Had a bat strike on the leading edge of a kc-135 in Guam. It's amazing what so little weight at high speed can do.

Comment

Working...
                      X