Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awesome...now Denver International has full body screening...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome...now Denver International has full body screening...

You know when you see something and you know it's been coming for years, but you are still hoping that they won't do it anywhere near you?

Yeah, I know, epic fail, but I was still hoping.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_9352834

Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix, Los Angeles International, JFK International in New York, Baltimore-Washington International and Albuquerque International also are using millimeter-wave screening.

DIA has one of the machines, which cost $158,000 apiece. The device, made by L-3 Communications, is at the south security checkpoint in the airport's terminal.
    Heh, L-3 makes it. L-3 also is located in Colorado.

Whole-body imaging "is an extremely high invasion of privacy," although TSA's effort to ensure that images are never made public is "commendable," said John Soma, a University of Denver law professor and executive director of the Privacy Foundation.
    Why do I not believe this?
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Re: Awesome...now Denver International has full body screening...

I wonder what would happen if you were to wear a suit of chainmail under your street clothes and went through. Actually I know what would happen, but would they allow you to wear it on the plane after the pat down?

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
      I wonder what would happen if you were to wear a suit of chainmail under your street clothes and went through. Actually I know what would happen, but would they allow you to wear it on the plane after the pat down?
      Probably not, because I think that the seat cushion life preserver that is there for your safety in the case of a water landing would fail! However, on that same note, what is some crazy hazardous metal you could be wear a suit made out of? Maybe a suit made out of Aquadots or something? A plastic chain mail suit painted in China? A suit made out of nuclear lead? They don't check for radioactivity...ahem....
      DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
        You know when you see something and you know it's been coming for years, but you are still hoping that they won't do it anywhere near you?

Yeah, I know, epic fail, but I was still hoping.
        I hate the TSA, excuse me, I meant to say I hate the new welfare to work program, or if that is too rude for some of you, I really meant I hate the TSA. Too stupid to work anywhere else, and by hate I mean extremely detest. I've never been afraid to speak my mind on that subject I'm not afraid they will not let me fly. So not afraid that if told to go through this machine I will tell them where to shove it. I once told a TSA agent to shut up, after he spouted the most recockulas garbage I have ever heard in my life and guess what, I flew. I'm not afraid of going to jail or missing a flight for telling them and anyone else who will listen and nod at me with paranoia just how much of a don't look behind the curtain facade it all is.

I really wish there was more that could be done without becoming public enemy number one just to support your rights. I'm very frustrated that the general American (and uk) population doesn't see the absurdity of it all and is just letting them get away with it. I just flew back from Vegas and although you are not required legally to take of your shoes as it's a suggested courtesy, the "screener" acted as if I was waiving a gun in the air when I told her i didn't want to take off my 1/8 inch flip flops. Apparently they think courtesy is one way, and they cant use their eyes or wave their little magic wand, even if i was being a pain in the ass. I mean We have to get half way undressed before we even go through the damn line in the first place and when we do they treat us like the stupid sheep, in all actuality that we have become.

Sigh, /rant. But on the topic at hand, seriously, I would say no, they can earn their paycheck by patting me down like good little rent a cops. Can't anything be done about this? Didn't we grow up reading the same books and hear the same end of days (identity) warning signs from preachers, professors, and old ladies? Don't they know any better? And Barry99705.... If you and I were departing the same airport at the same time, I would SO test out those waters with you and would not have a single shred of remorse over it. Even if it disobeyed their whole take off all metal rule, those rules are rules of convenience and conformity, not meant to be ruled over with an iron fist and to placate the masses in order to make the gestapos job easier. Sorry if this was too much but when my rights as a human being are being thrown around willy nilly I tend to get passionate. I'm not a criminal and don't like the guilty until proven otherwise approach. I'd really rather they put some more rent-a-cops in subways, trains and dark alleys outside the pub. But if you think this is bad you should ask Neil or have heard me when I had to get my first gaming/fishing license.. you want my SSN? WHAT!?! I'm quite a legend of causing a scene and embarrassing my family during my many many dialogs on absurd BS.
        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Get some lead tape and use it to write a convenient message on your body for them.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
            Get some lead tape and use it to write a convenient message on your body for them.
            You know - that's an idea - what if someone took a brief case or backpack and arranged items or lead tape inside that could be read with that scanner. What would the reaction be. I would start of with something simply like a happy face or peace symbol and graduate to other messagess - such as kiss my ass. I mean what could they do about it?

Originally posted by Nikita

Sorry if this was too much but when my rights as a human being are being thrown around willy nilly I tend to get passionate.
            You make some very valid point. The one issue that has always troubled me is where do you draw the line for individual rights. My personal belief is that you have the right to do anything you want, as long as it does not interfere with my rights to do what I want. An example, you can play your music as loud as you want in the confines of your own house, as long as it does not incroach upon my right to peace and quiet in my own house. Taken to an extreme - you want to carry a firearm on a plane, that's fine just don't try and carry it on one I am on.

Otherwise I agree 100% - there are right ways and wrong ways to enforce rules. TSA employee's just need to get off their power trip and remember they too are performing a customer service and are paid by our tax dollars.
            DaKahuna

Comment

the whole shoe removal practice just grosses me out.

I'm an ex-pat and i fly in to the US on an airline which gives you some shitty socks to put on in flight for comfort or something. i save these to wear through the TSA checkpoint *over my normal socks* to throw out on the other side.

some US airports give you disposable booties. Funny thing is I never see anyone else using those or doing something similar sock shuffle things like me.

Have fun giving each other athletes foot.

nasty nasty nasty.
              spy.net - \m/' `\m/ - hail!

Comment

I fly though Asia, the middle east and Europe and no one removes shoes. In fact if you go to remove your shoe they really look at you funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                  I just flew back from Vegas and although you are not required legally to take of your shoes as it's a suggested courtesy, the "screener" acted as if I was waiving a gun in the air when I told her i didn't want to take off my 1/8 inch flip flops. Apparently they think courtesy is one way, and they cant use their eyes or wave their little magic wand, even if i was being a pain in the ass. I mean We have to get half way undressed before we even go through the damn line in the first place and when we do they treat us like the stupid sheep, in all actuality that we have become.
                  Aah, the shoe removal game.

I'm actually an aircraft engineer, but thankfully, I'm Australian. The security measures here are nowhere near as strict/asinine as in the States. Now, I have the type of ID/Security checks that allow me access to anywhere in the airport. I didn't go through this rigmarole for my amusement. So, when the security scare/paranoia came in involving exploding dirty feet I wasn't too concerned.

That is, until I had to pass through an xray point to access a domestic departures area just so as I could purchase some lunch. I was in work uniform, I was wearing my security clearance ID. I took out all of my metal items and dutifully placed them in the little plastic tray to go through the xray machine (you know the tray, the one that anyone can happily pilfer items out of). So, when the power tripping supposed security guard asked me to remove my work boots I had to question his reasoning. After all, I'd just come from airside, on an aircraft in fact. He replied "It's the rules, you just have to do it". My reply was along the lines of "Can you not think for yourself you imbecile little prick? I don't have time for your penile compensation games."

Of course, this went down a treat. When the Federal Police turned up I was actually getting a little worried. Luckily one of the Federal Cop rent-a-drone's actually had a brain and listened to me. I politely explained to them that if they didn't let me go, no aircraft would be legally allowed to fly for the afternoon. A bit more explaining and they slowly realised that without aircraft flying, they don't have a job. Eventually I walked on through, boots still on my feet.

So, to end my massive seemingly pointless rant, I have a serious problem with the multitude of supposed security measures being put in place and people just accepting them as societal need. 95% (Yes, I am plucking this figure) of security measures do nothing, they're just there in case a news crew happens to turn up with high def cameras and telephoto lenses. This new device is a ridiculous invasion of personal privacy, it is very scary, and it will be abused. As with all of these new measures, it is not the one being implemented that scares me as much as the next one this allows to be implemented.

Now, where is my damn tin foil hat............
                  I only drink because my friends are boring...

Comment

Originally posted by Lowie View Post
                    Aah, the shoe removal game.

I'm actually an aircraft engineer, ......
                    That reminds me of my trip to Oman. We made a one day stop in Okinawa. After that we all jumped back in uniform to get on our planes. You know, the big grey ones with US Air Force painted on the side. They even had some of our names on the side. So anyway this asshat at the security checkpoint starts taking out pocket knives. Mostly leatherman tools and the occasional swiss army knife. I asked the guy why they were taking the knives. He said that's the rule. No weapons are allowed on the planes. I told him I could go on the plane and pick up a freaking rifle! It's a military aircraft and we're going to a not so nice place. He said he didn't care and those are the rules. Eventually our security officer talked him into giving all the knives to him and he would give them back on the plane. At least we didn't have to take off out boots, which were all steel toed, and made the metal detector beep.

Comment

He said that's the rule. No weapons are allowed on the planes. I told him I could go on the plane and pick up a freaking rifle! It's a military aircraft and we're going to a not so nice place. He said he didn't care and those are the rules. .

Kinda reminds me from the scene in Aliens when the Colonial Marines discover they are in a nuclear reactor and get all magazines taken away... "What are we gonna use, man? Harsh language?"
                      DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

The Air Force still makes a big deal about leathermans, pocketknives, etc., on military aircraft, in war zones...

If you don't visibly display it, you are usually fine. Not that I've ever done that...
                        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                          The Air Force still makes a big deal about leathermans, pocketknives, etc., on military aircraft, in war zones...

If you don't visibly display it, you are usually fine. Not that I've ever done that...
                          There were civilians running the check point for some reason. Technically we're not supposed to use leatherman knives. That whole FOD thing, they aren't accounted for. Most of us carried them anyway.

Kinda reminds me from the scene in Aliens when the Colonial Marines discover they are in a nuclear reactor and get all magazines taken away... "What are we gonna use, man? Harsh language?"
                          That's still probably the best sequel I've ever seen.

Comment

military checkpoints

There were civilians running the check point for some reason.
                            n.
                            That makes me curious... are the majority of the checkpoints that military gets to go through to get on those big Airforce jets mostly run by civies or is it military who is doing the checking?

Who does TSA belong to? I'm assuming they are contracted via government, right?
                            DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Re: military checkpoints

That makes me curious... are the majority of the checkpoints that military gets to go through to get on those big Airforce jets mostly run by civies or is it military who is doing the checking?
                              Military typically has military security, although sometimes this is partially contracted to private firms, depending upon location.

Who does TSA belong to? I'm assuming they are contracted via government, right?
                              TSA is underneath the Department of Homeland Security.
                              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Working...
                              X