Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety Zones in DC neighborhoods - SnowCrash, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Zones in DC neighborhoods - SnowCrash, anyone?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060503684.html

I am quite troubled by this.
    It's getting harder and harder not to think of the US as a third world dictatorship.

-mouse
    One Voter really can make a difference. Ask me how!

Re: Safety Zones in DC neighborhoods - SnowCrash, anyone?

I'm just as troubled.

However, this is nothing new. This kind of thing takes place all of the time but it doesn't garner news worthiness because of the way it is handled/viewed. I've seen stuff like this take place where I live not because of violence but due to an event taking place, some important person (President, VP, and the like) with high security staying somewhere, etc.
    "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Originally posted by mouseling View Post
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060503684.html

I am quite troubled by this.
      It's getting harder and harder not to think of the US as a third world dictatorship.

-mouse
      And don't look now... it's coming closer to home for you!
      http://www.blacklistednews.com/iNP/view.asp?ID=6875

(Yes, I realize the source.. but still an interesting read)

And even the local metro is talking about checkpoints in Philly:
      http://philly.metro.us/metro/local/a...out/12549.html
      Last edited by Gadsden; June 9, 2008, 12:11. Reason: Added the metro link
      Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

So what happens if everyone takes public transportation or walks? How effective is a checkpoint that only monitors people driving around? I'm wondering how much manpower is being wasted on checkpoints that could be better placed actually IN those areas to better patrol for crime.

Blockading an area doesn't lower crime, look at escape from new york.
        ----------------------------------------
        Fraternal Order of Locksport

Comment

The same police chief in DC also wanted to do warrantless, door-to-door, searches of peoples houses for guns and drugs. She backed off only after opposition from the community. Its sad that it even made it as far as the community finding out and responding negatively. A sane person should have said 'hey, that goes against the very principals of this country, I was a nutjob for even thinking about it'.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

This brings up a very interesting discussion (which I am sure will get smited down quickly for falling under political speak). Some areas of Boston (Dorchester, Roxbury, etc) are turning into a goddamn war zone (good to see that A- rating by the Brady Campaign is working out for them!). Cops aren't doing dick and gun control has only disarmed and pussified a city that is already scared of a lite-brite.

While on the Boston subway this weekend I ran into some Guardian Angles on patrol; they said they are around in response to some of the assaults that has been taking place. I did a bit of reading as I had never actually seen them in a city before.. and of course the city police were not wanting them to get involved.

Let me play devil's advocate.. let's say it is *your* neighborhood that has turned into no-man's land. Lawmakers and cowards have banned all means of self-defense; tasers, pepper spray, guns, slingshots, etc have all been banned or made difficult to obtain legally (without paying for permits, training, etc).

If you take matters in your own hands and patrol the area (either with groups or by yourself) you are shunned by police and risk getting killed because the thugs causing said crime has no problem violating weapons laws that you will be jailed for if you defend yourself. Besides, gangs tend to be better armed and more organized than the citizens or the cops.. you fuck with them you end up dead.

If you call the cops you are only applying a bandage to an existing wound.. they can't do much to prevent the crime, only react to it. If they start saturating the neighborhood and searching people then civil liberties are eroded and the power eventually gets abused.

Private security firms (Blackwater, etc) or military in the neighborhood is just as scary.

Sure you could move.. but how long do you have to run before you are tired of being a prisoner in your own neighborhood? What happens when your new neighborhood goes down hill?

So that begs the question.. what would *you* do?

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
              The same police chief in DC also wanted to do warrantless, door-to-door, searches of peoples houses for guns and drugs. She backed off only after opposition from the community. Its sad that it even made it as far as the community finding out and responding negatively. A sane person should have said 'hey, that goes against the very principals of this country, I was a nutjob for even thinking about it'.
              Yup.. they tried this in Boston as well (in the above mentioned neighborhoods). ACLU tore them a new asshole, then the community finally came on board and the cops backed off.

The problem is.. when enough people get afraid, they will happily trade their rights and freedoms for safety. (Insert Ben Franklin quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by che View Post
                And don't look now... it's coming closer to home for you!
                http://www.blacklistednews.com/iNP/view.asp?ID=6875

(Yes, I realize the source.. but still an interesting read)

And even the local metro is talking about checkpoints in Philly:
                http://philly.metro.us/metro/local/a...out/12549.html
                ARRRRGH - it's coming to my neighborhood. no wonder my paranoia alarms keep going off.

-mouse (1/2 of me wants to go there and stir up trouble, the other 1/2 wants to hide under the bed with a shotgun)

Comment

ARRRRGH - it's coming to my neighborhood. no wonder my paranoia alarms keep going off.

-mouse (1/2 of me wants to go there and stir up trouble, the other 1/2 wants to hide under the bed with a shotgun)
                  Get the best of both worlds.. go stir up trouble with a shotgun!

Comment

Private security firms (Blackwater, etc) or military in the neighborhood is just as scary.

Speaking of expanded powers to Blackwater, did you read this?

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080623/scahill

So that begs the question.. what would *you* do?
                    We fight back. We stop bending over and taking it passively. And the result will be private or gov't enclaves where people have no rights, but the illusion of security.

and a much less safe, more anarchical but fully functioning outside world - I used the
                    Snow Crash allusion deliberately.

-mouse

Comment

Speaking of expanded powers to Blackwater, did you read this?

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080623/scahill

We fight back. We stop bending over and taking it passively. And the result will be private or gov't enclaves where people have no rights, but the illusion of security.

and a much less safe, more anarchical but fully functioning outside world - I used the
                      Snow Crash allusion deliberately.

-mouse
                      I had not read that particular article, but I have read several like it. Scary stuff. I mentioned Blackwater b/c of FEMA contracts they have been awarded and talks of them having a "larger role" in the event of a large-scale disaster or civil disobedience (not trying to move the thread to a outsourcing discussion, btw).

Ok.. I agree with not bending over and taking it.. but how can this be accomplished with out ending up on the wrong side of the law or becoming cannon fodder for the criminals?

Comment

let's say it is *your* neighborhood ... how long do you have to run before you are tired of being a prisoner in your own neighborhood? What happens when your new neighborhood goes down hill? So that begs the question.. what would *you* do?
                        i would carry illegally. first and foremost, pepper spray and/or my knife (which i pretty much do all the time now regardless of the state laws where i'm traveling) and if things were bad enough, a firearm.

that, and i'd lobby and teach and smash the facts into everyone's face about ending the war on drugs. that's the part that fucking blows me away (danger... politics are nigh)... if drugs were totally legalized, almost all of these problems (specifically, the ones relating to neighborhood violence and violent crime) would practically vanish.
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Man, I moved out of Alaska at the wrong damn time.... We can carry concealed/open without a permit there. The whole country is going to shit. This isn't a gun related post, but today some 40 something moron was pissed at the little old lady going to slow in the fast lane, so what's he do? He friggen bumps her! This is a four lane highway! Anyway the 80 something lady loses control, swerves through the median and does a header into on coming traffic. Killed one, injuerd two.
                          Last edited by barry99705; June 9, 2008, 20:42.

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
                            Man, I moved out of Alaska at the wrong damn time.... We can carry concealed/open without a permit there. The whole country is going to shit. This isn't a gun related post, but today some 40 something moron was pissed at the little old lady going to slow in the fast lane, so what's he do? He friggen bumps her! This is a four lane highway! Anyway the 80 something lady loses control, swerves through the median and does a header into on coming traffic. Killed one, injuerd two.
                            Sounds like a few charges are in store for that fine gentleman.
                            "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Working...
                            X