• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowie
    replied
    Re: need of assistance

Originally posted by jedi View Post
    Sounds like burning man.
    White Ninja is here to take the challenge. I have no fear.

Leave a comment:

• jedi
    replied

Originally posted by valanx View Post
    mmmm.. nothing like a nice cup o hot salty broth. in August. in the desert.
    Sounds like burning man.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Originally posted by sharxbyte View Post
    if you cook it in parts, you run the risk of overcooking parts of it.
    Overcooking ramen? I'm not sure that I've ever heard of that.

Would it soften up if the water was outside? I know beer got up in the 90's out there. I don't have any ramen around right now or I'd test and see how long it takes for it to soften up at various temperatures.

depending on whether you are swimming in it or eating it, the broth could be served as a refreshment...
    mmmm.. nothing like a nice cup o hot salty broth. in August. in the desert.

Leave a comment:

• sharxbyte
    replied

ill have to agree with DJ Jackalope.. this is a very interesting thread. i think that ramen would be probably the most cost effective, but where in the world would you get a pot big enought o cook it all? if you cook it in parts, you run the risk of overcooking parts of it.

depending on whether you are swimming in it or eating it, the broth could be served as a refreshment...

ive always wondered what it would be like to swim in jello, but after a while, jello melts and gets slushy. it would also be a pain to clean up...(almost as bad as cornstarch)

Leave a comment:

• [Syntax]
    replied

I had thought about hosting an eat off kind of thing in the past, where plates of food are weighed, the remainders, bones fat whatever are weighed back in and subtracted, although with pudding or something like that, its easily measurable since its 100% edible.

Ramen noodles are the easiest to fill a pool with assuming you drain the liquid, otherwise they arent as portable, mac and cheese would work, but once again you have milk, unless you minus it. I did a quick search on the pudding, and water wont work, as the fat in the milk is needed for it to thicken. Even using 25% less liquid several sites say it will be thin, and taste like crap.

Is this going to be eaten or swam in?

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

Maybe you should give everyone a bar of Lava soap just to make sure before they get in.
    Perhaps Hughes could loan us of one these:

http://web.hughes.biteus.net/2363/pr...ex-cupola.html

:-)

xor

Note: New Music in sig if people want to... well you know what to do.

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Ramen? That's about and cheap as you can get, and easy to move.

Not sure if you want to see a flying spaghetti monster look alike contest though.
    Good point, Costco and Bj's both sell large quantities of Ramen noodles for decent prices.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Originally posted by converge View Post
    What substances are most easily transportable and made with least effort?
    Ramen? That's about and cheap as you can get, and easy to move.

Not sure if you want to see a flying spaghetti monster look alike contest though.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
    I find what you say interesting and odd. Water with a high salt content would burn only if you have areas that need disinfecting. Considering the high number of past defcon attendees that have actually *needed* to bathe more often (IMNSHO), I think I am now willing to support this effort. Salt baths FTW!
    Maybe you should give everyone a bar of Lava soap just to make sure before they get in.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Considering that pudding often includes milk, maybe using s kiddie pool, "as-is," could lead to people getting sick, you could look at an alternative....

You could fill the pool with ice and salt (in layers) and a very small amount of water, and then partly submerge plastic containers with pudding in them... maybe 3 containers, one for each flavor? This would also allow for pudding to be refrigerated until the pool is used, and then allow for extra containers to be available and traded with empty ones.

Also, if you want to know how much pudding would fit in such a pool, just apply the simple formula for computing the volume of a cylinder, and the convert in3 into gallons, (or cups) and then divide by the volume of pudding made with a single package of pudding+milk. Cost would be immediately available by multiplying the per-unit cost of milk and mudding per unit against the number of packets needed.

Another option?
    You could fill the bottom of the pool with ice and water, and then see if you could stretch a large sheet of sanitary plastic over the top of the pool with space for a concave depression and allow the bottom of the plastic to touch the top of the ice water. The pudding would entirely fill the pool, but provide the illusion of doing so, as it is opaque, and provide cooler temperatures to help keep the temperature of the pudding lower until the ice melted.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied

I don't have a particular direction yet, just randomly thinking while I'm busy smelling like dirt and smoke.

Wondering things like:
    How much pudding do you think a hacker could eat in one sitting? 5? What if they couldn't eat it all? What substances are most easily transportable and made with least effort?

Leave a comment:

• Miss Jackalope
    replied

*laughing* this is by far the most entertaining thread on the forums at the moment.

I like the cornstarch idea, that stuff is fun to play with. Is this slowly becoming a fund raiser for a non profit, taking bets on whatever mystery substance will hold someone/ the out come of a wrestling match/etc ?

Goofy Oobleck story though... I somehow ended up in an interesting situation with the now famous Fort Collins police department. (see Gruffy's story) Long story short, I had a container of the stuff in a cup and the cops had been warned to look for suspicious things of any nature and they were just completely WTFing at the goo.

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

It also burns like all hell and is an immediate indication of a small cut anywhere on your person. Screaming smelly people floating in a kiddie pool may not go well with management. They tend to just bury people in the desert.
    I find what you say interesting and odd. Water with a high salt content would burn only if you have areas that need disinfecting. Considering the high number of past defcon attendees that have actually *needed* to bathe more often (IMNSHO), I think I am now willing to support this effort. Salt baths FTW!

The entry form will require an agreement for no screaming from the participant. Participants will *not* be checked for rashes or small cuts. I already have plenty of experience being abusive; this seems ideal to me. I will point out that they might (in violation of the rule mentioned above) be screaming, but they will not be smelly after a brief dunking. Perhaps goggles should be issued in case of inebriation or other foolishness.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
    Yeah, that's what it is. I should add that, with the current price of corn, you'd be better off trying it with salt than cornstarch, though. Yes, it works with salt. Think Great Salt Lake in Utah, or the Dead Sea. At the Salt Lake, I've heard you can break your neck trying to dive in. It's fun, and a bit eerie to float in, but it *smelllllssss*. Ew. Shrdlu does not like the bad smells..
    It also burns like all hell and is an immediate indication of a small cut anywhere on your person. Screaming smelly people floating in a kiddie pool may not go well with management. They tend to just bury people in the desert.

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
    I might happen to have access to 500,000 gallons of a colloidal solution, at least it might be a colloidal, it has about the consistency of the corn-starch solution.
    That would be especially disgusting, and no, it isn't colloidal. You'll sink right in if you try that shit (pun intended).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X