Traveling Terabytes news - next tour of duty & creation of more cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling Terabytes news - next tour of duty & creation of more cases

A few quick updates to the Traveling Terabyte situation...

Green Case Comes Home
    The green entertainment TTB has returned home from Iraq, where it was entertaining the Iron Rakkasans (3/187 of the 101st Airborne). They stated that they enjoyed it very much but, like so often, they didn't email and comments or photos to us. That is a slight disappointment, i must say... i really feel bad in that those who contribute to the project do not have any proof, beyond just my own word, that the cases are in fact moving between units. I'm glad i have so much credibility within our community and that no one is accusing me of just hoarding all this gear myself.

Next Rotations to be Planned
    The call is going out yet again for people to name any deserving recipients of the TTB cases. In the past, there's been a few "oh, uh, yeah... my buddies in (such and such unit) would probably love to get that" but then nobody actually PM's or emails me hard details. This is free entertainment beyond most folks' wildest dreams and it can go to any people serving overseas, all you have to do is tell me who.

The only real rule that we try to ask is that people keep the cases moving as best they can. Try to plan ahead somehow and see if a few people can make some free space on their hard drives or external media... the TTB volumes can kick around post for a while, being shared or centralized in an entertainment spot, then move along within a week or two max. If we can all please try to stick with that, it would be great.

New Cases to be Built
    I may mention the TTB project in a HOPE and/or DEFCON talk this summer as a side note, but i expect to get the typical trickle of "i'm interested in funding a TTB" emails that i often get. Thus far, i have just kept those people in a folder in my mail archive. I will likely start a mailing list at the end of summer/early fall for anyone who is interested in expanding the scope of the project. If you'd like to contribute in any way, just shoot me a message and i'll make you part of that list in a few months when there is actual news to report on that front.

The most likely development will be the use of full 1TB hard drives in order to either facilitate smaller, sleeker travel cases or to make new packages of the current physical dimensions but with 2 TB capacity. Those on the mailing list can be part of that discussion, too.

Some current options for newer hardware might be 1TB SATA drives like this or this although that's pretty slim on the warranty side of things. These drives, even though they are pulled and recertified, have a warranty of a full year.

An enclosure such as this one is pretty badass... it offers both USB2 and even external SATA ports in a metal housing which would be more durable and run disperse heat better than our existing enclosures. FireWire isn't an option there... but i've not really known any TTB recipients yet to use FireWire. I've basically just been using that to move the massive amounts of data necessary to update and maintain the TTBs at their home base.

I wonder what size Pelican Case i could use to pack a single drive with that enclosure. I have to say... the existing TTBs look really fucking cool, but (as AST or i can tell you) they get really heavy really quickly when you're carrying them around. moving to a smaller case and single drive setup would be terrific.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 2, 2008, 09:31.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Traveling Terabytes news - next tour of duty & creation of more cases

I'd love to get to 1TB with USB powered drives, no AC adapters needed.

Comment

Draft up a parts list for a few rigs and I'll take a look. :)
      " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
      - Willard Orman Van Quine

Comment

Originally posted by moleprince View Post
        Draft up a parts list for a few rigs and I'll take a look. :)
        well, for base comparison, the current hardware list is here.

I'm thinking that we could do a single drive setup using a Pelican 1200 or 1300 case instead of the 1400. So that's maybe $60 to $75 there.

We can get a single 1TB drive along with a nice external enclosure for under $200 now. Of course, that's for a standard enclosure... resulting in a need for power adapters, etc. I'm not seeing any enclosures for full size 3.5" drives that are self-powered.

Anyone else have suggestions?
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
          well, for base comparison, the current hardware list is here.

I'm thinking that we could do a single drive setup using a Pelican 1200 or 1300 case instead of the 1400. So that's maybe $60 to $75 there.

We can get a single 1TB drive along with a nice external enclosure for under $200 now. Of course, that's for a standard enclosure... resulting in a need for power adapters, etc. I'm not seeing any enclosures for full size 3.5" drives that are self-powered.

Anyone else have suggestions?
          Laptop drives are getting stupid cheap lately, and bigger. They can be bus powered, full sized drives can't. Though, you might be able to hack a firewire to 12v adapter, not many machines come with firewire. You might not be able to use as big of drives as you want, but you'll be able to fit more in a case.

Comment

A friend works at the US Embassy in Qatar, he wishes to get the TTB to put out at the MWR for troops on R&R from combat zones.

Comment

I use one of these for my NAS at home:
              http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...12&dcaid=17902

Pretty sure they stock one with USB as well but no promises.
              " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
              - Willard Orman Van Quine

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                I'd love to get to 1TB with USB powered drives, no AC adapters needed.
                It's a matter of power consumption, though. A full drive is going to need approximately twelve watts of sustained power just to run. Assuming we could somehow pull 80% efficiency on the conversion, then we would need six USB ports (plus additional circuitry for the startup power).

Originally posted by barry99705
                Laptop drives are getting stupid cheap lately, and bigger. They can be bus powered, full sized drives can't. Though, you might be able to hack a firewire to 12v adapter, not many machines come with firewire. You might not be able to use as big of drives as you want, but you'll be able to fit more in a case.
                Yeah, but you'd still need four drives which means four USB ports (which is more likely). I suppose you could split the information up and access the drives one or two at a time, but that slightly lessens the utility.

Oh, and Fireware could pull it off easy. (Unfortunately, USB 3.0 is not headed in that direction.) astcell, do you have powered Firewire in the case you are thinking of?

Comment

Just a note, I finally found a contact who can hook me up with a Canadian unit being deployed to Afghanistan, so keep that in mind in deployment plans for the TTB.
                  Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Working...
                  X