Forums Want Ads....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums Want Ads....

This is a question I keep kicking back and forth with thecotman for the past few years and its something we just keep thinking about then forgetting about...

IE:
    What are the general opinions about adding a sub forum to the main page that is a want ads / for sale page?

My ideal situation:
    Only the person who starts the thread can post to their thread. (I don't know if there is any sort of a toggle for that, but this is my dreamland, and my dreamland has that switch!) All traffic of interested parties to that person is dealt with through PM so we don't have to spend hours reading "hey meet me at the corner of 43th and 3rd with the live kittens at 3pm" to find out if an item is sold or not.

We have a criteria for the items sold:

Computer tech based. Not things like "hey I have my whole pr0n collection up for sale!" Or not things that you'd see for mass market, like say the H@x0r Pr0n from a few years back. The goal of this is not to be a money making thing, it's just to get rid of things you may have collected and want to offer the community before you hit up Craig's list.

I don't picture that the for sale/ want ads forums would be a huge traffic area, but its nice to know who you are buying things from or who you are asking for help, so Joey the Squid doesn't show up at your door trying to sell you a shady hard drive or something.

Comments?
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
    ======================================

Re: Forums Want Ads....

What about computer tech based pr0n?

*edit*
    I like the idea btw.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
      This is a question I keep kicking back and forth with thecotman for the past few years and its something we just keep thinking about then forgetting about...
      I think we discussed a user-joinable group as an access restriction. We also talked about this and liability and that we would need to get a blessing from DT.
      One of the things considered was having it be something where things could be announced as for sale, but there is disagreement on this with mods.

Sell the mods and DT on the idea, and I can help make a forum for this.

IE:
      What are the general opinions about adding a sub forum to the main page that is a want ads / for sale page?

My ideal situation:
      Only the person who starts the thread can post to their thread. (I don't know if there is any sort of a toggle for that, but this is my dreamland, and my dreamland has that switch!)
      I'd need to get some buy-ins on this from the stake-holders before investigating this further, but something like the above might be possible.

All traffic of interested parties to that person is dealt with through PM so we don't have to spend hours reading "hey meet me at the corner of 43th and 3rd with the live kittens at 3pm" to find out if an item is sold or not.

We have a criteria for the items sold:

Computer tech based. Not things like "hey I have my whole pr0n collection up for sale!" Or not things that you'd see for mass market, like say the H@x0r Pr0n from a few years back. The goal of this is not to be a money making thing, it's just to get rid of things you may have collected and want to offer the community before you hit up Craig's list.

I don't picture that the for sale/ want ads forums would be a huge traffic area, but its nice to know who you are buying things from or who you are asking for help, so Joey the Squid doesn't show up at your door trying to sell you a shady hard drive or something.

Comments?
      Sell this idea to everyone, and it may come true. :-)

Comment

I know Im new here and not too popular, but I think it sounds like a great idea.

Btw....Im looking for a Grand Central account if anyone is up for getting rid of one they dont want. GC isnt accepting beta testers, but I need one bad. Or if theres a simular service out there, let me know because this noob hasnt found it yet. My number being posted up here is attracting random spoofers... Did I mention Im interested in buying a GC account off someone?

* again, really great idea, Jackalope. I hope it happens.

Comment

Sounds cool to me I'm for it. Especially if is has ad's for mail order brides and white slaves. :-)
          Seriously it would be a nice place to go for cool security stuff. Plus I already have a few mail order brides :-).

xor
          Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I too am a noob here so I'm sure my vote has less weight but I also think it's a cool idea.

On a side note (and I'm sure this goes without saying), I would ping a lawyer for the legal ramifications of adding it to the site for if/when transactions go wrong, questionable items get listed, etc. Since it's a smaller controlled group of people posting than Craig's List I don't think there would be any/many problems but still.

Comment

1: As a seller, it would seem silly to try to sell something on a limited forum when more potential purchasers and higher prices are out there on sites designed for buying/selling.

2: First time someone feels they got screwed over, drama would ensue and spill over to the forums.

3. I would think this would be a bad liability to the forums.. the first time a hot item or something in a legally gray area was listed, it would paint a big target on the forums.

4. From a moderation standpoint, it could be a fucking nightmare when point #2 or #3 erupt.

While it is not a 100% terrible idea, I think the bad would outweigh the good. However some forums I have frequented does this with moderately decent results..... although point #2 often breaks out and spills into forum drama.
              Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by che View Post
                1: As a seller, it would seem silly to try to sell something on a limited forum when more potential purchasers and higher prices are out there on sites designed for buying/selling.

2: First time someone feels they got screwed over, drama would ensue and spill over to the forums.

3. I would think this would be a bad liability to the forums.. the first time a hot item or something in a legally gray area was listed, it would paint a big target on the forums.

4. From a moderation standpoint, it could be a fucking nightmare when point #2 or #3 erupt.

While it is not a 100% terrible idea, I think the bad would outweigh the good. However some forums I have frequented does this with moderately decent results..... although point #2 often breaks out and spills into forum drama.
                Good point, but I think it can still be done. Im a member of another forum *cough* where this type of thing works out perfectly. Its called an "In Search Of" or ISO section. Member A posts up an ISO stating he wants item X. Member B replies or pms to the thread and says he has item X...they work out a deal and trade. This isnt ebay, so the site itself isnt involved in the details, its just a place to find someone to trade with.

Comment

Hmmm. I hope there is no implied warranty. I sold an iPod to a friend and t broke two months later. That is beyond my control and I had no idea it was going to croak, but he mentions it often. Now I wish I had sold it on Ebay instead. Our friendship is not in jeopardy, but it bugged him.

I have also sold other things with no issues, but if I sell laptops I am not selling tech support with it.

How about we put the item on Craigslist and put the link here?

Comment

I like the idea, I think posting it on craigslist or ebay and then posting a link here is a great idea. It would allow people to post items they had for sale without having to deal with payment or image posting, etc.
                    .: Grifter :.

Comment

So far:
                      1: Don't care / Indifferent
                      4: No.
                      1: Yes, with special considerations.
                      6: No opinion (defaults to "Don't care" after period for comment ends)

For mod "voting" I set an end date of 2 weeks after start, which means this proposal would end (from my view) on the 9th of September-- though any other mod can bring it up any time they want.

So far, it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Originally posted by Grifter View Post
                      I like the idea, I think posting it on craigslist or ebay and then posting a link here is a great idea. It would allow people to post items they had for sale without having to deal with payment or image posting, etc.
                      Well then, if it does happen, maybe we can put Grifter and Jackalope in charge of the new section. ]:>

Comment

I would probably enjoy a craigslist/ebay/etc. linking section. It brings the more specialized items of the community sellers to the attention to the community buyers, but leaves the transaction details (and liability) to a 3rd party site. That seems to be the best of both worlds. Either that, or make some sort of 'defcon channel' on ebay/craigslist/etc.
                        It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Given the limited audience here I don't think it would be a problem.

The NS forums has had a for sale section for a long time and no major issues I'm aware of (One of the mods might correct me).

Given our communities ability to collect esoteric crap, we sometimes need to purge it and here is a similarly inclined group who would know what it is and want it, vs the general EBAY audience. At the very least, to advertise (relevant) things on sale on ebay and the likes.

Just my $0.02 CAN
                          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Working...
                          X