Ok, Now I've Seen Everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, Now I've Seen Everything

Buy property on the Moon and Other Planets......

http://www.lunarembassy.com/lunar/lunar_embassy_e.swf

How is this legal, saw it on the Science Channel?

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Ok, Now I've Seen Everything

Originally posted by xor View Post
    Buy property on the Moon and Other Planets......

http://www.lunarembassy.com/lunar/lunar_embassy_e.swf

How is this legal, saw it on the Science Channel?

xor
    Phreeky. After you buy your land how do you survey it before you build? Any survey companies go there? Hey that could be a new job!

Folks have been selling ocean property, and "Name a Star After Someone" for some time now. Guess this was next.

Looks like they get rich on shipping too.

I think you can also have yourself frozen cryogenically after you die which is quite useful if you ever want to see your property on the moon in your next life.
    Last edited by Greyhatter; August 27, 2008, 18:04.

Comment

Apparently and from the show several former presidents and hotel chains have purchased property on the moon. If you follow nuclear fusion at all there is a substance known as Helium 3 which is in very short supply on earth. On earth it can only be obtained from decommissioned nuclear weapons. It comes from the sun and our atmosphere filters it out. The moon however is a different story and is supposedly loaded with it.

One of the problems with fusing hydrogen atoms is that 80% of the energy produced comes from neutrons. Neutrons quickly destroy the reactor walls making long term facilitates difficult to maintain. Using Helium 3 doesn't produce this negative side effect as it as much lower neutron output when fused.

Ok here is where conspiracy theorists must go nuts. They have known about Helium 3 and the fact that the moon has a lot of it since Apollo 17. Some mite ask why did they cut the program short so suddenly?

Many rock samples were given to other governments as a show of good faith. Many of these samples have disappeared and been sold on the black market over the years. NASA still has a lot of them and they are under very tight security.

I still think the world is much too crazy of a place for fusion to be placed into the hands of people. Too many nuts out there that would try and weaponize it. I imagine most high energy physics work is carefully watched by the government and with good reason.

Just to clear I'm no expert, just commenting on what I saw in the show and expounding on it a little.

xor

I want know who died and left the moon to the guy in NV who is selling it.
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Apparently and from the show several former presidents and hotel chains have purchased property on the moon.
        Brooke Shields has a star named after her.

I'd also like to know who died and left the moon to the guy in NV who is selling it.

Good info xor.
        Last edited by Greyhatter; August 29, 2008, 03:07.

Comment

I imagine most high energy physics work is carefully watched by the government and with good reason.
          Riiiiight. 'Cause we can trust our elected masters, er, officials.

I want know who died and left the moon to the guy in NV who is selling it.
          Delos D. Harriman?
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Humm? Better get that land now while there still is some left!

Comment

My bet is that this will go the way of the International Star Registry where only the company selling the product will recognize your ownership. Loophole or not, in the end I don't think it will fly. Otherwise, I'm buying property on Mars since that's the "Last Chance Gas" prior to leaving our Solar System.

http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/2005/07/68311

http://www.redcolony.com/features.ph...hycolonizemars

Comment

I think unless you have been there, e.g. The US and Russia(launched a rock collecting robot that broke down on the moon I believe before Apollo ever set foot) you really can't lay claim to it.

Russia may actually have more of a claim than anyone.

You can use nukes on the moon. We may yet see a nuclear war and have front row seats for it.

xor

Comment

You do not have to have been to a place to claim it. You can buy land without going to the state, it is all paperwork with the county is all, as long as no one else laid claim to it already.

Me, I prefer to find folks who laid claim to the sun and then sue them for eye damage while viewing their property for possible purchase. Sue for $200. You will win since they most likely do not have insurance.

You can also buy one square inch of land in Tennessee at a bourbon factory, and another site lets you buy one square inch of land in Scotland so you can claim noble title.

Comment

Personal ownership of land is something limited by the government that has control over that land, usually backed-up by military force, or treaties which include implicit support by allies to enforce title and ownership of a land or territory.

When one government takes over the land used by another government through military force, the invading government does not need to abide by any of the land agreements provided between the displaced government and its people.

Any madman can make a claim to own the moon. (Would they be called lunatics? :-) Even if that individual has found a loophole in international laws (or national law) the bodies that control such laws can pass news laws which explicitly deny claims made through old loopholes. Additionally, other governments, not part of the agreement can choose to declare war against the individual (or government) that has made the claim, and take it over by force.

What is "ownership" of property to an individual? It is an enforceable statement of control over a physical space, to the exclusion of others. That control is granted to individuals by the government that also controls the land within the borders of their territories or nation. When a piece of land is a ground of contention, it is possible for there to be mutually exclusive and contradictory claims to the same regions of land.

The land you "own" is limited as being your property by the ability and willingness of the governing body that claims that as a territory to defend that land, and enforce their laws on it, which include land ownership.

Comment

I personally don't see why people would want to buy a randomly allocated plot of lunar land, anyway. Personally, I'd want a bit more control in picking out the actual location, even if this whole thing wasn't effectively a waste of time and money.

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                      Any madman can make a claim to own the moon. (Would they be called lunatics? :-)
                      funny you should say that, considering the linguistic roots of the word. :)
                      It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Working...
                      X