International travel power inverters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International travel power inverters

In less than 2 weeks I jet off to Norway again with a suitcase full of WRT'54GL's

Fortunately I noted that the power adapters on the routers will only accept 120v and apparently have a tendency to explode using 220v, so a basic adapter won't work. Glad I noticed here and not there.

I know I've seen European style plug adapters that incorporate step down transformers but I have no idea what to look for or where.

Anyone have one or know of one who can point me in the right direction. I figure one should handle 3-4 routers no problem but it is rather important that these routers work.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Re: International travel power inverters

Since I'm getting ready to go to the UK I have been researching this too. I had planned on buying a few of these before my trip to run things.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Another alternative could be 220v power adapters providing a similar voltage. I know through experimenting that I've used as low as 7V to power our WRT54GLs off batteries and the internal regulator seemed to not mind it at all. I had the spec sheet for the regulator laying around somewhere...but if I recall, since most the onboard stuff runs off 5V you could step that low. But since the things pull ~5-6W with the radio on 100mW using 120VAC you should be fine with a low wattage step down transformer. I know APC made some UPSes that would accept 220V and provide 120-105VAC. Should look there...
      afterburn

Comment

I looked up UPS's but it seems that anything that outputs 110v wants 110v input. They don't step down without kicking up into the data center lines and that's really expensive.

The adapters on my routers are labeled as 23w, I'm guessing that's peak. Most step downs I've found are 50-85w max, so I'd be lucky to get 2 running off one transformer.

I'll look into native 220 ac adapters, but I'm kinda doubting that will pan out in the week I have left.

Comment

Look in the "travel" or "luggage" section of stores like Target. American Tourister stores, usually found in outlet malls, tend to have the transformers, too. Radio Shack is another possibility.

Some equipment, notably laptop power supplies, well function just fine with a 220v source. It's just a matter of getting the right plug. Again the luggage section of many stores will have "international plug kits." Taurus makes some nice units, which we discussed in the Traveling Terabyte thread.
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

All my laptops will take 220, it's just the routers that won't. The linksys forums are loaded with horror stories.

I'm going to poke around the electrical supply places in town to see if they have something other than the anemic 50w units i'm seeing in the mall. I can't be the only one with this issue.

Comment

Maybe.... I can't remember what it's called in Canada... but your version of AAA might have suggestions. (I mean...give them a call and talk to a real live meat popsicle), just looked on the AAA website for USA and didn't see anything useful.)
              ======================================
              DJ Jackalope
              dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Just get wall-warts while in Norway. They probably are not even that hard to find, some electronics store is going to have them.

A step down transformer for when my dad moved from the US to Switzerland cost him about $500, then again that thing was beefy enough to run a fridge. The ones that run some of the other equipment are rated at 150 watt and cost $250.

Wall-warts are not that expensive :P

Comment

Hey, Render, are you going to have a kegorator in your room?
                  DJ Jackalope
                  dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
                    Hey, Render, are you going to have a kegorator in your room?
                    Hehe, I wish.

Doing some math shows that *at worst* each router would pull 12watts. Multiply by 4 and you get 48 watts so a 85 watt transformer would be enough. I'll get 2 to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
                      All my laptops will take 220, it's just the routers that won't. The linksys forums are loaded with horror stories.
                      heh... then how does Linksys sell WRT's in other countries?

Originally posted by 0x58 View Post
                      Just get wall-warts while in Norway. They probably are not even that hard to find, some electronics store is going to have them. ... Wall-warts are not that expensive :P
                      i'm betting it's really as simple as that. this is what i did (with a WRT, in fact) and it works out fine. we have a euro and US wall wart for the modded WRT that comes on the road with my kit.

depending on the voltage in the country where i am, i opt for the proper AC adapter (wall wart, for those who have been following the conversation but not wanting to ask what we've been meaning) then i use a plug modder (if necessary) just to fit it in the outlet.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

We bought this model ( I think, this model ) from some reseller and found that it worked to up-volt and down-volt as needed for 110/120 to and from 220/240:

http://www.110220volts.com/Merchant2..._Code=ATVR-500
                        (Probably not from the above reseller, but I don't know, since I didn't buy it, I only specified the model and requirements.)

It isn't exactly portable for travel on planes, but does do what you request, and at up to 500 watts (though 400 watts is max suggested for sustained use), and is not very heavy. I don't know how durable they are, as ours isn't very old, and doesn't leave the shelf it was first placed upon for use.
                        Last edited by TheCotMan; September 14, 2008, 21:28.

Comment

Working...
                        X