CERN, LHC is on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CERN, LHC is on!

I'd just like to share, addressing the thread(s) back a couple weeks, that LHC proton beams have been circulating the ring this morning, the ATLAS detector is on and recording, and we are in fact not all dead.
    lurking...somewhere

Re: CERN, LHC is on!

Originally posted by Z^2 View Post
    I'd just like to share, addressing the thread(s) back a couple weeks, that LHC proton beams have been circulating the ring this morning, the ATLAS detector is on and recording, and we are in fact not all dead.
    Ahh, I was soooo looking forward to being crushed out of existence that is except for my electrons which occupy some other space. Guess I'll have to wait to we finally get sucked into the super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Maybe an alien survey ship will see CERN's Proton signature and decide we are civilized enough to pay a visit to. With our luck in will be someone like the BORG. Assimilation anyone?

xor
    Last edited by xor; September 10, 2008, 07:18.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
      Maybe an alien survey ship will see CERN's Proton signature and decide we are civilized enough to pay a visit to. With our luck in will be someone like the BORG. Assimilation anyone?

xor
      I'm sure our new National Muslim leader will assimilate us way before aliens give us a thought. Note to Z^2 :the bigger the toys the more uncertain the outcome.
      Last edited by Greyhatter; September 10, 2008, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
        Ahh, I was soooo looking forward to being crushed out of existence that is except for my electrons which occupy some other space. Guess I'll have to wait to we finally get sucked into the super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy.

xor
        Who knows, they could be triple breasted green skinned amazon women as well.

Of course, only the Kirk's and Riker's among us would enjoy that.
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
          Who knows, they could be triple breasted green skinned amazon women as well.

Of course, only the Kirk's and Riker's among us would enjoy that.
          Actually the triple breasted gene is not so uncommon in human physiology. Green skin, that's what body paint is for.

xor
          Last edited by xor; September 10, 2008, 16:29.
          Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I for one am outraged that we are allowing the Europeans to take our precious protons. Outraged I tells ya.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
              I for one am outraged that we are allowing the Europeans to take our precious protons. Outraged I tells ya.
              Actually there have been plans before to build bigger ring colliders in the U.S. but there are a number of political, social, and monetary factors specific to this country that impeded their building.
              lurking...somewhere

Comment

Actually there have been plans before to build bigger ring colliders in the U.S. but there are a number of political, social, and monetary factors specific to this country that impeded their building.
                That's cause they're still building that secret tunnel in North Dakota to the heart of the Soviet Union..

We don't have the money for a SSHC (SuperSize Hadron Collider)
                A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

http://www.timesnow.tv/NewsDtls.aspx?NewsID=15870

sigh how much of this story is true?

Hackers crack into 'Big Bang' experiment
                  9/13/2008 8:34:02 AM
                  The Swiss laboratory CERN, where the historic Big Bang experiment commenced

Efforts to recreate the 'Big Bang' theory at Cern hit its first roadblock, with scientists admitting that their experiment was hacked into by maverick hackers. These hackers have reportedly mounted an attack on the Large Hadron Collider, which has raised eyebrows over the security of this historic experiment in the world, as it surpasses a vital milestone.

Scientists say that it was a competition between two hacker groups - known in hacking circles as 2600 and 1337, that led them to break into the experiment just before it was to begin. 2600, also known as the Greek Security Team broke into the experiment and left a message saying, "We are 2600.. don't mess with us..." The scientists who were behind the mammoth experiment had received threatening e-mails prior to the start.

It is reported that the hackers were just a step away from halting the experiment. They broke into the control mechanism of one of the mega magnets which is responsible for accelerating the particles and were successful in shutting off the official experiment website of Cern. Officials at Cern admitted that some files in the experiment were infact damaged but downplayed any adverse impact on the actual experiment.

The hacking attempt started around the time that the giant machine was about to circulate its first particles, under the spotlight of the world's media. On Wednesday afternoon, as the world held its breath as the machine sparked up, CMS team members were scouring computers at the machine for half a dozen files uploaded by the hackers on September 9 and 10.

The files were studied closely before deleting the same from the system. The hackers had managed to access the CMSMON, a system which monitors the CMS software as the vast detector takes data during collisions between particles to study the energies and physics.

To protect the control systems, Cern relies on a 'defence-in-depth' strategy, which separates control networks and firewalls, complex passwords are used to protect the systems from malicious software.

However, there have been growing concerns about security as remote or wireless access, notebooks and USB sticks offer new possibilities for a virus or worms to enter the network, not to mention hackers and terrorists who might be interested in targeting computers to shutdown the system.

Report: Hackers find black hole in atom smasher computers

Hackers claim they have broken into the computer system of the Large Hadron Collider, the mega-machine designed to expose secrets of the cosmos, British newspapers reported today (September 13). A group calling itself the Greek Security Team left a rogue web page mocking the technicians responsible for computer security at the giant atom smasher as "school kids", a daily reported.

The hackers vowed they had no intention of disrupting the experiment at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) on the Swiss-French border, they just wanted to highlight the flaws in the computer system's security. "We're pulling your pants down because we don't want to see you running around naked looking to hide yourselves when the panic comes," they wrote, according to the daily.

The hackers claimed to have gained access to a website open to other scientists on Wednesday as the LHC passed its first test with flying colours, the reports said. They appear to have tried to gain access to the computer system of the Compact Muon Solenoid Experiment, one of the four detectors that will be analysing the progress of the experiment.

James Gillies, a spokesman for CERN, told the Times, "We don't know who they were but there seems to be no harm done. It appears to be people who want to make a point that CERN was hackable."

Comment

From my little understanding of the LHC, if/ when it works and these protons collide wouldn't the explosion damage the LHC, or is the collision supposed to be so small that it would be contained.

Either way i cant wait till they start smashing some protons, it will be interesting what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchb0x View Post
                      From my little understanding of the LHC, if/ when it works and these protons collide wouldn't the explosion damage the LHC, or is the collision supposed to be so small that it would be contained.

Either way i cant wait till they start smashing some protons, it will be interesting what happens.
                      It is really small - quantum mechanical scale (look up feynman diagrams to see some cool squiggly lines explaining particle interactions). The high energy of this experiement is so that you can make (according to E=mc^2) larger mass particles. Even if they don't find the larger mass ones, it still tells you something interesting, that you've still got to work on your current theory some more.

In any case, let alone this planet but the whole universe has been bombarded with all sorts of high energy particles for billions of years and you don't see all sorts of black holes in our atmosphere, so there really isn't anything to worry about with this experiment.
                      lurking...somewhere

Comment

LHC IS OFF! just saw and article on cnn.com's main page that states the lhc is down for maintanance for two months due to a bad connection between two magets, when they fix it its going to warm it up to where it cant run for along time cause they have to get it back down to zero.
                        linkage:
                        http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science....ap/index.html
                        Not every problem, nor every thesis, should be examined, but only one which might puzzle one of those who needs argument

Comment

In any case, let alone this planet but the whole universe has been bombarded with all sorts of high energy particles for billions of years and you don't see all sorts of black holes in our atmosphere, so there really isn't anything to worry about with this experiment.

No, but I know a lot of people(not in these forums) with them in between their ears.

xor

Comment

I believe you mean randomly bombarded. Very few were forced together using super duper, duper head on collisions.

Comment

Working...
                            X