Nfs/osx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nfs/osx

Well, I've been tackling this problem for over a month now exhausting all of my usual resources -- people, local experts, manuals, fora (official Apple or not) and I've almost run out of steam. Maybe someone has some suggestions they could give me on more places to look/other people to ask/have had this problem before...

I have the task of setting up five G5 OSX 10.3.9 machines to serve a bunch of users, by setting one of the machines up as an Open Directory (O.D.) Master and the other four machines as replicas of the O.D., with the users' home directories being on a RAID attached to the master. I'm trying to do it all through the Server Admin and Workgroup Manager GUI's, so it's really easy to duplicate once this is someone else's job in the future, and because locations of files that would make this work if edited on a Linux machine are located in strange places on OSX machines.

AFP messes up group/owner permissions which is just...not allowable given the sensitivity of some of the information being shared (apparently it's known to do this?), so the route to tackle network mounting the RAID is NFS to hopefully get the permissions right. This is all specifying "create mount record" to always have the mount up, too. Thing is, NFS doesn't mount everything it's supposed to...instead of all of the content in the user's folder on the RAID, they'll get the one folder "Library" if they even get permission to access their home folder (sometimes only root can do things with/in their folder), on all of the four replicas (NFS mounting does different things on all the replicas for some reason). The master is fine with all permissions/mounts. My problems aren't consistent, so I'm having trouble figuring out what the root of them is to fix it, and everyone else online who has had this problem seems to have hand-fixed some NetInfo stuff which is not the route that I'm supposed to take for this project.

Has anyone here ever encountered funny business with NFS like this (or AFP for that matter)? The only and last suggestion that I have left to try is to create the NFS export on just the master with all the user information etc. just shared with it, log all the users in there to "touch" all the home directories there to create them hoping they'll get the right permissions and content, and then try to export to all five machines (will try this Monday).
    lurking...somewhere

Re: Nfs/osx

Originally posted by Z^2 View Post
    Well, I've been tackling this problem for over a month now exhausting all of my usual resources -- people, local experts, manuals, fora (official Apple or not) and I've almost run out of steam. Maybe someone has some suggestions they could give me on more places to look/other people to ask/have had this problem before...

I have the task of setting up five G5 OSX 10.3.9 machines to serve a bunch of users, by setting one of the machines up as an Open Directory (O.D.) Master and the other four machines as replicas of the O.D., with the users' home directories being on a RAID attached to the master. I'm trying to do it all through the Server Admin and Workgroup Manager GUI's, so it's really easy to duplicate once this is someone else's job in the future, and because locations of files that would make this work if edited on a Linux machine are located in strange places on OSX machines.

AFP messes up group/owner permissions which is just...not allowable given the sensitivity of some of the information being shared (apparently it's known to do this?), so the route to tackle network mounting the RAID is NFS to hopefully get the permissions right. This is all specifying "create mount record" to always have the mount up, too. Thing is, NFS doesn't mount everything it's supposed to...instead of all of the content in the user's folder on the RAID, they'll get the one folder "Library" if they even get permission to access their home folder (sometimes only root can do things with/in their folder), on all of the four replicas (NFS mounting does different things on all the replicas for some reason). The master is fine with all permissions/mounts. My problems aren't consistent, so I'm having trouble figuring out what the root of them is to fix it, and everyone else online who has had this problem seems to have hand-fixed some NetInfo stuff which is not the route that I'm supposed to take for this project.

Has anyone here ever encountered funny business with NFS like this (or AFP for that matter)? The only and last suggestion that I have left to try is to create the NFS export on just the master with all the user information etc. just shared with it, log all the users in there to "touch" all the home directories there to create them hoping they'll get the right permissions and content, and then try to export to all five machines (will try this Monday).
    I'm no expert on MAC Server so bear with me here:

To get things clear in my brain. You have 5 OSX 10.3.x Servers. One is the Open Directory Master, the others are Open Directory Replica. You have a XServer Raid or equivalent connected to the Master.

Are these existing installs or is all this fresh? I suppose you want single sign on too? How are you authenticating?

I was looking at the O'Reilly OSX Tiger Server Book and I don't believe this can be done all through the gui. Though you could create a script. Do you have a Safari Account through school?

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
      I'm no expert on MAC Server so bear with me here:

To get things clear in my brain. You have 5 OSX 10.3.x Servers. One is the Open Directory Master, the others are Open Directory Replica. You have a XServer Raid or equivalent connected to the Master.

Are these existing installs or is all this fresh? I suppose you want single sign on too? How are you authenticating?

I was looking at the O'Reilly OSX Tiger Server Book and I don't believe this can be done all through the gui. Though you could create a script. Do you have a Safari Account through school?

xor
      Five boxen and an Xserve raid - I just reinstalled the OS in the five server disks because from the 7 years they've been running there were some weird looking bugs that I wanted to just nuke instead of hunt down and fix because it was faster (nothing needed to be saved from the disks either). The raid has a bunch of things on it and I'm not touching it's setup, just mounting it. Authentication is just through O.D. without kerberos - users are 'network mounted' through Workgroup Manager.

The system, although it seems it was very unstable, did this all through setup through the GUI years ago, and I'm trying to figure out how or why.

I don't have a Safari Account - what sort of script are you envisioning? (Why I said I was trying to do it all from the GUIs is because when I was using the command line tools to modifly the LDAP database, all of a sudden the GUI's stopped working at all. For instance, if I used ldapadd to add a user, then Workgroup Manager wouldn't be able to modify anything on those users that ldapadd had touched (which doesn't make sense at all).)
      lurking...somewhere

Comment

Check PM, hope that gets you going.

xor
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Working...
        X