Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling Terabyte Christmas Cheer Project

Hey all,

As many of you know from previous threads, the DEFCON community has been a big part of getting the word out about the Traveling Terabyte Project, helping to add individuals to the list of recipients of all this donated content.

Well, another big push is coming up... but this one has the potential to touch many, many more lives. If it's not considered crass or wrong to post about it here, i'd love to hear from anyone who has an interest in this latest endeavor.

A special holiday side-project of the TTB crew is the production of DVDs filled with Christmas content. If you have a loved one serving away from home and would like to make their holiday season just a little bit brighter, please feel free to email us about this offer. This is TOTALLY FREE and we are simply going to try to produce as many discs as possible using content from our archive of donated materials.

We can either send the DVD directly to someone at their post or drop it in the mail to you and allow you to send it their way in any larger gift package that you may be planning. We are posting about this so very early in the winter season due to the fact that mail moves slowly to and from forward areas.

You can learn more about the Christmas Cheer segment of the Traveling Terabyte Project here...

http://deviating.net/ttb/holiday.html

One simple email is all it takes. (wow... looks like the forum software does some new, wicked spam-armoring there. if you can't decipher my email address, either view the project's web page or PM me) Tell is a brief few words about who the individual is in uniform, how you know them, and where they're stationed. (And, of course, let us know if you'd like the DVD to go to them or directly to you)

May your loved ones return safely and quickly. Those serving over in the sandbox, the 'stan, or elsewhere... keep your asses covered and your actions clean and come home safe and sound.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; November 3, 2008, 05:41.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Traveling Terabyte Christmas Cheer Project

A couple additional notes here, by the way...

1. if you have any connections to folk who write for tech sites, feel free to mention it to them. Tom's Guide did a really terrific write-up about the TTP a while back and it generated lots of good interest, allowing us to reach many more folks.

2. if you're curious, the following content is part of the Christmas Cheer DVD...
    A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

A Christmas Story (1983)

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas (1977)

Frosty the Snowman (1969)

A Garfield Christmas Special (1987)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

Jack Frost (1979)

The Little Drummer Boy (1968)

Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962)

Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

"I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

continued...
      The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

The Polar Express (2004)

White Christmas (1954)

A Charlie Brown Christmas - Soundtrack

Christmas Harp - Reflections

Trans Siberian Orchestra - Rockin' Mix

Assorted Classic Traditional Christmas Carols

NOTE - all of this is content drawn from the Project's archive of donated material. while it may skirt a thin line, in the legal sense, the few experts to whom we have spoken have expressed the opinion that this does not constitute piracy (which would be a violation of forum rules) since everything is being done not-for-profit, the content is not in maximum resolution (this is a DVD-rom of captured video feeds, many of which came from over-the-air broadcasts), and because things are simply being made available as part of care packages.
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

If you are looking for more suggestions:
        Futurama Episodes featuring "Xmas" and the various *bots like KwanzaBot
        South Park episode featuring Santa Claus vs. Jesus
        8 Crazy Nights

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
          If you are looking for more suggestions...
          actually, i've already begun producing the first run of discs, so the content is pretty finalized at this point. all i need now are people to whom i should send them.
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Start here. Here are some addresses and email addresses. Fire off emails asking for their addresses, do not say why, just say you have a donation for them.

http://www.uso.org/whoweare/findyour...seaslocations/

Comment

Remember my old friends at:

USO Qatar
              Box 30
              APO AE 09898

Comment

Are some soldiers crazy enough to pack a PS3 to play Blu-ray movies?

I'm thinking about cooking up a batch of BD discs for the troops, but dunno if anyone will be able to play them.

Comment

Originally posted by not5150 View Post
                  Are some soldiers crazy enough to pack a PS3 to play Blu-ray movies?

I'm thinking about cooking up a batch of BD discs for the troops, but dunno if anyone will be able to play them.
                  i highly doubt anyone would do that, unless they have an assignment that's 100% rear-echelon in a green zone. being close to any action, or even being in sub-prime living quarters exposed to sand storms and such would be nearly impossible for a large, bulky piece of tech like a PS3.

not to mention that the last thing you'd need is BluRay quality way the hell out in the field. folk are happy with any links back to the world. Hence, we chose DVD Rips in MPEG-4 XviD all on a single DVD-ROM so that they're playable in a wide range of systems and can fit over a dozen full-length films and holiday specials along with music, etc. on a single disc.
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

well, the biggest and possibly final batch of TTB Christmas Cheer discs are going out today...

in addition to any individual recipients who were emailed to me, i'm sending larger batches of these discs out to any of the USO institutions that replied back to me (which was basically all of them, hehe)

soooo... any last requests for these discs before i run out of blank media and printer ink? (which i'm dangerously close to doing on both counts)
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

That is a fantastic project! Kudo's and good Karma to everyone involved!

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                        well, the biggest and possibly final batch of TTB Christmas Cheer discs are going out today...

in addition to any individual recipients who were emailed to me, i'm sending larger batches of these discs out to any of the USO institutions that replied back to me (which was basically all of them, hehe)

soooo... any last requests for these discs before i run out of blank media and printer ink? (which i'm dangerously close to doing on both counts)
                        Boyfriend, you got any left over for the shelters for deployed peoples families? If so...you have my email addy. Let's chat.

blessings.

Regards,

Valkyie
                        __________________________________________________ __________
                        sapere aude

Comment

If you can send me three, I'd like to send them off to past units I deployed with.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                            If you can send me three, I'd like to send them off to past units I deployed with.
                            wow... we're a little late in the game, but sure. i'll send them out ASAP.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

I somehow don't think anyone is going to mind! Keep up the awesome!
                              ======================================
                              DJ Jackalope
                              dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
                              ======================================

Comment

Working...
                              X