Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Christmas video game?

Ok this was mine:

Atari 2600, and man it rocked, but I remember another game I either owned, or borrowed, or over borrowed, and eventually owned by a video game company I'm not sure of:

My memory: an ugly flat black box that had controllers but only had a (three way switch?) that went from pong to ? and ?. Not a trivia question, but what was your first favorite vid game, and did I have one of the firsts, or too much brain damage from my challenged childhood?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...me&btnG=Search
    Last edited by Greyhatter; November 28, 2008, 14:20.

Re: 1st Christmas video game?

Originally posted by Greyhatter View Post
    Ok this was mine:

Atari 2600, and man it rocked, but I remember another game I either owned, or borrowed, or over borrowed, and eventually owned by a video game company I'm not sure of:

My memory: an ugly flat black box that had controllers but only had a (three way switch?) that went from pong to ? and ?. Not a trivia question, but what was your first favorite vid game, and did I have one of the firsts, or too much brain damage from my challenged childhood?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...me&btnG=Search
    Sitting in my grandparents house is an old pong game, but this one was special. It has a lightgun and had skeet shooting. The lightgun had interchangeable parts that you'd convert it from what looked like a luger, to a rifle. You'd put a different barrel and attach a stock. I'll have to grab it before it disappears.

Right now my two boys are playing an Intellivision game that I bought last Christmas. It's has 10 Intellivision Roms loaded into what looks like an original Nintendo controller. My parents actually didn't believe in buying us the stand alone video game systems since all they did was play games. Instead they bought me a Vic-20 after the TI-994a that I won in an essay contest was pretty useless.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

My folks ran a vending business, you name it I've played it. During the 70's and 80's the cash pans would over flow and short out the boards that were placed on the bottom of the games. Amazing how times change.

xor

Now video is in the toilet as far as a vending money maker. The only games that do well are the Merit Megatouch Touch Screen games(which all run Linux). The downloading jukebox's(an MP3 player with $$$ slot) make a lot of money(Windows XP Embedded and Linux). Golden Tee Golf is another ok game(Linux). Pool tables are still king they will never go away. Shuffle alleys are still out there but are primarily only here in the Northeast . It's a regional thing don't ask me why it just is. Electronic darts do ok, I don't like them however. The real thing is much better. Oh and the novelty cranes make a good deal of money. Again don't ask me why it's not a game of skill by any stretch of the imagination.
      Last edited by xor; November 28, 2008, 15:47.
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I did not get this for x-mas, I had a cousin that gave this to me.
        http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/...sp?c=1280&st=2
        For x-mas my first was pacman for 2600.
        Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Magnavox Odyssey. I bought for my family for Xmas 1972.

What can I say? I was an early adopter.
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

The original Mario game....

good times, sore fingers
            You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and and endless supply of expendable labor.

<No tree's were harmed during this transmission. However, a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced>

Comment

Mine also was the original Super Mario Bros. My mom didn't like having a game system in the house, so I didn't get a Nintendo for about 5 years, and then was only allowed to play for an hour a day.

Comment

Super Nintendo, Super Mario Brothers

Comment

I remember sitting on a blanket with pine needles stabbing me playing my first NES.
                  mage2atbleedingwounddotcom
                  KeyID 3B535825D9402365
                  FingerPrint C2AA E142 8826 BAE3 9C2B AA0C 3B53 5825 D940 2365

Comment

Pitfall and Q-Bert... oh yeah
                    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                    [ redacted ]

Comment

Atari 2600 with millipede. I thought life could get no better than that.
                      Now known as Lord Nikon.

Comment

Originally posted by mage2 View Post
                        I remember sitting on a blanket with pine needles stabbing me playing my first NES.
                        i'd have to say that the NES was my first "major" video game gift on Christmas. in the past, i had received little Tiger Electronic LCD display type games, and i recall owning a TI computer with some games, both educational and action-style...

but, yeah... my aunt (the "cool" single one who always was the relative to get my the best gift that i always wanted each year) getting me the NES (mine was the version that just had a single cartridge... the Super Mario Brothers game, not the hybrid with Duck Hunt) was one of my top Christmas memories as far as levels of awesome and unexpected are concerned.
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

i remember playing duck hunt for so long xmas day til the nintendo overheated. i had a commodore 64 before that but i dont think it was a christmas present.

Comment

Like Thorn, it was a Magnavox but it was the Odyssey² which came out several years later. We only had two games (Pong and some Pac Man type game) and we played them like fiends until the Atari 2600 came out. I've been a gamer junkie ever since.

Favorite game on the Atari: Enduro

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                              Magnavox Odyssey. I bought for my family for Xmas 1972.

What can I say? I was an early adopter.
                              Heh, mine was the Magnavox Odyssey2 in 1979. Came with one game and one assembly-language cartridge. No storage, but it did have a keyboard and you could enter up to (IIRC) 800 bytes of 8004 machine code.

Still have that kicking around, along with the Vectrex I got a few years later. Surprisingly, both still work.

Comment

Working...
                              X