BlackBerry Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackBerry Storm

I've seen commercials for the BlackBerry Storm and, while i'm not a crackberry user, the device intrigued me somewhat. I know many people in that crowd and they often rush out to grab the latest and greatest device (I have to say... the vendors would be able to absolutely kill the market if they would just release a "power user" version of the device that has all the features enabled (phones in different regions have differing menus and feature sets for some goddman stupid reason), allowed people to easily switch from QWERTY to QWERTZ operation (ever try to get a euro phone and use it here? it can be maddening if you're hoping for a US style keyboard), and the handset was unlocked (a whole other issue).

There was an article recently in the Times that totally blasted RIM's newest product, the Storm. What was more interesting to me was a follow-up piece (that the author could easily squeeze out during a 3-hour holiday season work shift) where he quotes some reader responses...
    "I want to thank you for validating the experiences I've had with my new BlackBerry Storm. It has been an absolute nightmare. As soon as I return to New York, I will take advantage of Verizon's 30-day return policy and get rid of this monstrosity."

"I rushed out last week to try the new Storm--and was frustrated, confused and bewildered by the device. I couldn't use the browser, and was even hard pressed to make a phone call."

"One of my co-workers, who is almost militant in his disdain for all things Apple, couldn't wait to get his hands on a Storm. Lo & behold, 30 minutes later, he was trying to figure out a way to get his money back."

"I think there's an important distinction between quality control (whether or not something works as designed) and quality of design. This device fails miserably in both categories."

"Oh my God! I read your review, and it was the exact same experience I had! I was EXTREMELY disappointed. This thing is a dud. I am very sad, but at least I have my Curve."
    not all readers agreed with him, but most of them did.

I suppose i just wanted to toss this out there to ask what phones some people here have had particularly good or bad experiences with. I know we're getting really, really close to Christmas... but perhaps this thread can also serve as a warning to anyone who bought a Storm for someone as a gift. See if maybe you can get a Bold instead for your the beloved crackberry user in your life.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: BlackBerry Storm

Personally, I think all these multi-function phones are completely silly. I have a Blackberry 7520, so I can make calls, do Nextel DC's and get my email. I really don't see the need to do webbrowsing <i>everywhere</i> I go. Society existed a long time without such silly things and I'm sure we could continue to exist with out them.

My Blackberry is provided for my job, probably like many others here, I get network alerts and status information on it, but I don't see a need for anything else.

If I need web browsing, I'll pull out my laptop and my wireless card for it and do what I need.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Don't believe the hype. It's very buggy, accelerometer issues, the keyboard sucks, from what I hear anyway. If you are use to one handing a phone, forget it with any touch screen keyboards.

This is a topic that I get absolute crazy over. We can send probes out to the Khyber belt and beyond but I can't have a PDA phone that is actually a good phone & pda.

Requirements

3g or better network
      fast cpu
      excellent battery life
      one hand operation
      real pda keyboard
      large bright screen
      bluetooth 2.x
      bluetooth headset that is actually loud
      wifi g or better.

I don't care what OS it runs as long as there are plenty of apps.

Command prompt would also be nice.

Is it wrong to want this.......

xor
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Is it wrong to want this......
        Yes, it's wrong, very wrong, you're very sick in the head for wanting such things. :)
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
          Requirements

3g or better network
          excellent battery life
          Is it wrong to want this
          Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
          Yes, it's wrong, very wrong, you're very sick in the head for wanting such things. :)
          i'm with streaker on this, for the particular reason i've highlighted above. 3G fucking devours battery life, i'm told. that's why (speaking of phones with feature sets enabled/disabled) the euro versions of many Blackberrys allow you to turn 3G off and roll back down to 2G for your GSM service. you don't need 3G 100% of the time, and this is an outstanding feature on phones if you want to conserve power.

god knows why they don't have that in the states. actually, yes... we do know. no provider wants their phones to seem anything less than optimal at any time. they want the fastest speeds and best connections no matter what. god forbid a power user has dropped down to 2G and the party they're calling (or someone who borrows the phone for a second) gets a "less optimal" connection.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            i'm with streaker on this, for the particular reason i've highlighted above. 3G fucking devours battery life, i'm told. that's why (speaking of phones with feature sets enabled/disabled) the euro versions of many Blackberrys allow you to turn 3G off and roll back down to 2G for your GSM service. you don't need 3G 100% of the time, and this is an outstanding feature on phones if you want to conserve power.

god knows why they don't have that in the states. actually, yes... we do know. no provider wants their phones to seem anything less than optimal at any time. they want the fastest speeds and best connections no matter what. god forbid a power user has dropped down to 2G and the party they're calling (or someone who borrows the phone for a second) gets a "less optimal" connection.
            My Verizon VX6700 allows me to turn off EVDO, by touching a soft button. Most of the time it's off, to conserve the battery, and because I hardly ever use the 3G functions.
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Any Smartphone I have used has always had the option to turn off 3G, and I'm quite frankly shocked that the feature doesn't come with said phones in the states.

With regards to my personal favourite.

Nokia N95 8GB

Great battery life
              3G (I never use it)
              WLAN access
              Email
              Numeric keypad (If I wanted QWERTY I'd carry my laptop everywhere.. wait.. I do)
              Etc, etc..

The only drawback I can think of is no major App platform. But to be honest hacking your phone doesn't really appeal to me.

SO xor, I think that's as good as you're going to get.

And for the record I've owned both Blackberry Bold, and recently the Storm on Vodafone. And both I sent back within a week and went back to my N95 which I have had for quite some time.
              This is a horrible font

Comment

I've got an AT&T Bold from work and I really like it. I cannot turn off 3g on it, unlike the Rogers and other carriers' models, but even on spotty 3g the battery life is pretty good. Very quick and does most of what I need without a laptop.

I've used several BlackBerry models over the last 5 years and this is by far my favorite one. The 802.11 works excellent at work and home, as well as a few establishments I've been at. The interesting thing, good or bad depending on your perspective, is that while on wireless you essentially VPN back to your network where the MDS server is running. You can control this via BES policy, but it's a nice feature for me since 3g reception in my building sucks, but I've got full wireless on my floor.
                Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Even if you aren't in an area with 3G coverage, just having the function turned on depletes the battery as it's constantly searching for a 3G network.

I live in an area with no 3G coverage, despite this I've seen a significant reduction in battery life on the Nokia N95, Blackberry Bold and recently the Blackberry Storm.

Also, why in the hell did they remove WiFi from the Storm? I realise they only had so much room and have managed to pack a LOT of features into the handset, but surely wireless access should have been prioritised?
                  This is a horrible font

Comment

I have BB 8800. Personally, I like it. It does most of what I need to do while I'm on the road, I installed Opera Mini to replace that nightmare that is the default browser. I'm not inclined to pull out my laptop to just do quick peek stuff online, it works well for me - YMMV.

No 3G so battery life with EDGE is excellent. 802.11 would be nice to have but not always needed as most of the sites I hit are text heavy, who the fuck can enjoy a graphics heavy site on that tiny screen anyway?

The Storm looks tempting but in a down economy I can't justify another new gadget, I'll sit this one out until Rev. 2.

Edit* The 8800 is fairly robust. My wife dropped hers in a bowl of soup. Took the battery out, rinsed it off, stuck it in our food dehydrator...

Still works.
                    When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout.

Comment

I currently have a Blackberry (Pearl), and I've been pretty happy with it, actually. It's my second (I had one of the older ones), and I'm a fan of keyboards. No fake keybrd on the touchscrn please. That said, anyone have opinions on the new Google Phone? Far as I know, the only place they are is T-Mobile (which is fine, since they're already my provider), but they don't seem to be too popular.

I haven't necessarily heard good things, either. For one, I've heard there's a few kinks need to be worked out, and for another, I trust RIM with my data far more than I do Google.

Comment

I can highly recommend the new Opera Mobile browser for those looking for a more robust micro-browser. I use it on my Verizon XV6800. I imagine you could always hack the firmware. The UTStarcom phones are pretty hackable, and there is a large community user base.

xor
                        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

"Watching someone writing an email on a Storm is like watching an antelope trying to open a packet of cigarettes."

-- Stephen Fry

Of course I can't really talk as I have an iPhone...
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
                            "Watching someone writing an email on a Storm is like watching an antelope trying to open a packet of cigarettes."

-- Stephen Fry

Of course I can't really talk as I have an iPhone...
                            Most kids grow up with text messaging and have the muscle memory and the gray matter for touch screen keyboards.

I agree with that statement but it's also age, manual dexterity. and finger size dependent. Women with long nails...purrrrr, large men(big nose, big feet, big hands, big........., ask your wife if you don't know what I'm talking about), and non-tech older people over the age of 35 I would say that touch screen keyboards are bad news.

My father is 80 and expressed an interest in a Blackberry. He can barely handle a cell phone, let alone a cordless phone, and forget the cable remote so I told him it was a bad idea. Of course I would become defacto tech support if he did get one so I had my selfish reasons to. I have enough trouble showing him how to use the computer which is an exercise in virtue.

xor

Comment

I have a Sanyo Katana Deluxe flip phone. . Its small, takes lots of abuse, shows crazy sprint tv, does the whole mp3 player thing, and has things that are just useful on it. If people aren't up to the whole bulkier blackberry/palm thing, and just want something that works for personal use, i'd recommend it.
                              ======================================
                              DJ Jackalope
                              dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
                              ======================================

Comment

Working...
                              X