Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The whole IE business

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The whole IE business

    http://secunia.com/advisories/33089/

    Yeah that thing, it's bad.

    What do you think?
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

  • #2
    Re: The whole IE business

    Originally posted by bascule View Post
    http://secunia.com/advisories/33089/

    Yeah that thing, it's bad.

    What do you think?
    "Microsoft has stubbornly said it 'cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw.'"



    There is a reason many of us use other browsers! The only time I ever use IE is IETab within Firefox, when there are sites I absolutely need IE to work (sadly, there are still some out there).
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The whole IE business

      I wonder if MS had made any attempts to 'infiltrate' the underground world where these things are written in an effort to get a leg up on the 2nd Wednesday 0days that come out?
      A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The whole IE business

        Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
        There is a reason many of us use other browsers! The only time I ever use IE is IETab within Firefox, when there are sites I absolutely need IE to work (sadly, there are still some out there).
        There are also companies who will refused to allow users to have anything but IE installed on a system. One can argue that they are possibly jeopardizing their employee's safety online..then again, in certain hands no browser will be able to fully protect. Oh yeah I forgot, employee's shouldn't be on sites that would contain data that endangers their identity right?

        Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
        I wonder if MS had made any attempts to 'infiltrate' the underground world where these things are written in an effort to get a leg up on the 2nd Wednesday 0days that come out?
        Doesn't sound like it would be that bad of an idea for them. Then again whose to say that it's not microsoft employees writing the things Okay, my bad, that's a bit too conspiracy theorist for even me....
        afterburn

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The whole IE business

          Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
          There are also companies who will refused to allow users to have anything but IE installed on a system. One can argue that they are possibly jeopardizing their employee's safety online..then again, in certain hands no browser will be able to fully protect. Oh yeah I forgot, employee's shouldn't be on sites that would contain data that endangers their identity right?
          That may have been the correct thinking a couple years ago. But today with the number of exploited websites, even innocent sites can be serving up malware.

          The only real solution, to quote WOPR, is not to play.
          A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The whole IE business

            Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
            The only time I ever use IE is IETab within Firefox, when there are sites I absolutely need IE to work (sadly, there are still some out there).
            how many of them need IE to render properly vs. servers running some nonsense scripting that blocks "unapproved browsers" out of hand?

            i keep the user-agent switcher plugin at the ready with Firefox and i'd say basically every time i get a "you must use IE" message, i reload the page with the fake internet explorer browser tag and it works just fine.

            i agree that there are a few sites out there that are still very full of fail and just require MSIE, but i do not routinely encounter them at all.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The whole IE business

              Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
              how many of them need IE to render properly vs. servers running some nonsense scripting that blocks "unapproved browsers" out of hand?
              Primarily for me are some intranet SharePoint sites that lose some (required) functionality in Firefox. Although I am curious to try the user-agent switcher plugin and see how it works.

              Edit: Yeah, sadly, IE is needed to render the SharePoint sites correctly.
              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The whole IE business

                I love you bascule. I think Bill should be tarred and feathered for IE, and Winblows!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The whole IE business

                  Just FYI, Patch released...

                  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx

                  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-078.mspx
                  And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The whole IE business

                    I just installed it on my laptop and now my WPA key is missing. Not a big deal really, but I wonder if that's part of the patch.
                    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The whole IE business

                      Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                      I just installed it on my laptop and now my WPA key is missing. Not a big deal really, but I wonder if that's part of the patch.
                      Are you using XP or what?
                      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The whole IE business

                        Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                        Are you using XP or what?
                        Yep. It only did it for my Office network key, my home network key was still there. So it was quite odd.
                        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The whole IE business

                          Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                          "Microsoft has stubbornly said it 'cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw.'"
                          I think the odds of Microsoft admitting anything like that have the same frequency of occurrence as hell freezing over.

                          xor
                          Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The whole IE business

                            MS released the fix as another 'out of band' Critical Update.
                            Thorn
                            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X