http://www.infobarrel.com/How_to_Fre...d_Break_a_Lock

That's pretty creative
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Re: Freezing locks with duster

Originally posted by bascule View Post
    Dude.... :)

First, I just want to say that you are totally on top of most things to do with Infosec. But I have to ask you, what MAC address have you been living under? Most crack heads I know, know about freezing locks.

You could also do it with n2o, preferably in a liquid form. In addition to freezing the lock you can also catch a quick buzz, get dental work done, and/or make whip cream.

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

First off, that's a pretty shiatty lock he's using, and I wager it would fail if you hit it with the hammer anyways without the freezing agent.

A decent lock should stand up to such beatings no mater how cold. Considering the outdoor temperature around here can get down to -40 F and C and locks continue to hold nicely all through the winter.
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I think the idea is more to freeze the locks internal parts rather than hard metal clad shell. No expert but it theory in makes sense. Metals containing a high sulfur content can become very brittle when subjected to extremely cold temperature, also many modern alloys.

Don't know whether I read this or heard it some where but the Titanic supposedly is one such example of a metal hull containing a high sulfur content that became brittle under extreme cold circumstances. Supposedly contributed to her sinking.

Where's a good Navy man when you need them.

xor
        Last edited by xor; December 18, 2008, 22:01.
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
          I think the idea is more to freeze the locks internal parts rather than hard metal clad shell. No expert but it theory in makes sense. Metals containing a high sulfur content can become very brittle when subjected to extremely cold temperature, also many modern alloys.

Don't know whether I read this or heard it some where but the Titanic supposedly is one such example of a metal hull containing a high sulfur content that became brittle under extreme cold circumstances. Supposedly contributed to her sinking.

Where's a good Navy man when you need them.

xor
          I'm not in the Navy, but I remember studying about this at UCLA (one of my engineering classes).

The hull steel had high amounts of oxygen and sulfur. This made the steel extremely brittle under normal conditions, not just in the cold. If I remember correctly, the sulfur screws with the "grain" or molecular alignment of the steel.

I believe a forensic team took a piece of Titanic steel and smacked it with a hammer from a known height. The piece broke cleanly. Correctly smelted steel would have a jagged edge (diagonal break instead of straight through) because it is more pliable.

Unfortunately, that's about the only thing I remember from that class.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
            First off, that's a pretty shiatty lock he's using, and I wager it would fail if you hit it with the hammer anyways without the freezing agent.

A decent lock should stand up to such beatings no mater how cold. Considering the outdoor temperature around here can get down to -40 F and C and locks continue to hold nicely all through the winter.
            I don't think most locks would stand up to Liquid Nitrogen freezing, but then that's not something that most people have access to.

I had worked for a Defense Contractor a few years ago and we had a supply to cool down an essential piece of equipment. We tested to see what kinds of things we could freeze and break.

Of course, there's nothing quite like instantly frozen Reeses Peanut butter cups.
            A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
              I think the difference is the rate at which the temperature changes. Certain materials are able to withstand a prolonged exposure to extreme cold if their temperature is lowered at a slow steady rate. Sharp drastic changes usually results poorly for metal. I'm no materials engineer but from my limited materials experience I believe this to be the case. Could be wrong though...

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
              We tested to see what kinds of things we could freeze and break.

Of course, there's nothing quite like instantly frozen Reeses Peanut butter cups.
              Right before we left for con, we gathered up some Liquid Nitrogen we had left over and made some ice cream with it. Have to say it was probably the best ice cream I ever had and would highly suggest it to anyone looking for a way to move some liquid nitrogen...
              afterburn

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                First, I just want to say that you are totally on top of most things to do with Infosec. But I have to ask you, what MAC address have you been living under? Most crack heads I know, know about freezing locks.
                Haha, point taken

You could also do it with n2o, preferably in a liquid form.
                Yeah, that sounds a little bit harder to come by than duster
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                [ redacted ]

Comment

Depending on how fast I can get caught up with other stuff I might have some fun with a few locks and liquid nitrogen, just so I can post results and videos.

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                  I don't think most locks would stand up to Liquid Nitrogen freezing, but then that's not something that most people have access to.
                  Originally posted by bascule
                  Yeah, that sounds a little bit harder to come by than duster
                  It's not that hard to come by if you know the right people or are good at social engineering, after all both Noid and myself ended up with a large amount of it for DC13.
                  "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak View Post
                    It's not that hard to come by if you know the right people or are good at social engineering, after all both Noid and myself ended up with a large amount of it for DC13.
                    There's an Air Products plant right up the road from my office. I know they sell it there, but not sure if the average citizen can buy it. I'm fairly certain that they'll sell Dry Ice though. You could probably set the lock on a block of that and freeze it enough to make it brittle.

If you can buy it from Air Products, just order some Omaha Steaks.
                    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak View Post
                      [Liquid N2 is] not that hard to come by if you know the right people or are good at social engineering, after all both Noid and myself ended up with a large amount of it for DC13.
                      photos for the win...

setting up the beer cooling contraption

the cooling proves too much for my laster thermometer

whenever you got any surplus fluids, Pool Two is always there for you

your faces are just priceless in that last photo with AP Security rolling up on the scene.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                      X