Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undersea internet cables snapped to Europe..eep.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undersea internet cables snapped to Europe..eep.

I just saw that 3 of the 4 main under sea internet cables were broken in Europe and the middle east, didn't know if you guys knew about this. I think its absolutely crazy that internet is networked underwater. Granted, ok I'm glad its not open wireless, but just think its nuts (in either a good or bad way, I'm still not sure!) that we end up going "old school" for stuff still.

Link to the BBC new article from today.

It is thought that 65% of traffic to India was down, while services to Singapore, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Taiwan and Pakistan have also been severely affected.
    Does that mean that people aren't getting their Indian tech support?
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
    ======================================

Re: Undersea internet cables snapped to Europe..eep.

I think its absolutely crazy that internet is networked underwater. Granted, ok I'm glad its not open wireless, but just think its nuts (in either a good or bad way, I'm still not sure!)
    Don't you remember that episode of Gillian's Island where the undersea cable washed ashore during a typhoon and the professor tapped into it and started to make phone calls? Undersea cables have been around for a lot of years. It's really the only practical way to connect the continents.

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post

I ordered a Squishy and it still hasn't shown up.

I believe the last time this happened there was a dramatic decrease in the amount of SPAM across the world. Not saying that the SPAM comes from that region by much of the C&C for the zombies does.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Bascule started a thread about this earlier this year when other cables snapped. Suggestions were proposed then, that some undersea terrorists might be at work, or military intelligence was testing their ability to tap undersea cables and botching the work.

I would favor a simpler cause as being natural or human-cased accidents or simply degradation of cables due to time an other natural events like erosion, expansion and contraction from temperature changes, and more, which are really other natural events anyway.
      Last edited by TheCotMan; December 19, 2008, 16:31. Reason: word change (then becomes when)

Comment

If people go back and read that thread, you find that cable breaks are pretty common. There is about one break a week in the Atlantic Ocean on average. The Mediterranean cables are all clustered fairly close together, and are hit a lot by anchor dragging. <shrug> It happens a lot. So much so, it's not really newsworthy until a lot get broken at the same time.

This time it's: FLAG FEA, SMW4, and SMW3.
        Back in February it was: SMW4(in two places), FLAG (in two places) and FALCON.
        Last edited by Thorn; December 19, 2008, 15:07. Reason: Typo
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
          If people go back and read that thread, you find that cable breaks are pretty common. There is about one break a week in the Atlantic Ocean on average. The Mediterranean cables are all cluster fairly close together, and are hit a lot by anchor dragging. <shrug> It happens a lot. So much so, it's not really newsworthy until a lot get broken at the same time.
          Yep, also:

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...t-the-cab.html

There are 25 large ships that do nothing but fix cable cuts and bends
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
          [ redacted ]

Comment

I just saw that 3 of the 4 main under sea internet cables were broken in Europe and the middle east, didn't know if you guys knew about this. I think its absolutely crazy that internet is networked underwater. Granted, ok I'm glad its not open wireless, but just think its nuts (in either a good or bad way, I'm still not sure!) that we end up going "old school" for stuff still.

Link to the BBC new article from today.

Maybe we will get less spam now

xor

It's the dam Russians, they seem to have trouble keeping their submarines a float.
            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I had to call Trend Micro about a mislabeled URL and my call to "Jim" was fairly clear, especially since we were both on VOIP phones...
              Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Working...
              X