Is your Zune suicidal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your Zune suicidal?

Thankfully, I don't own one. In case you haven't heard, apparently the original Zune devices aren't Y2K9 compliant. Nice.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/enter...-31-08-340573/

Re: Is your Zune suicidal?

Originally posted by boredsilly View Post
    Thankfully, I don't own one. In case you haven't heard, apparently the original Zune devices aren't Y2K9 compliant. Nice.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/enter...-31-08-340573/
    I believe, Technically, they weren't Y2k8LY compliant. :)
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

I believe, Technically, they weren't Y2k8LY compliant. :)
      Yeah, I guess you're right. I assumed the Zunes sharted themselves when they saw Father Time with his +8 sickle of taxation. :) I'm all for ending it before tax season gets here.

Apparently, there's an update to the fun. http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/31...reen-of-death/

Comment

People actually buy these things?

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
          From what I've been reading in stories regarding the date issue, there's apparently a whole "Zune Good, iPod Bad" culture out there. If someone is dead set against the whole I'll-buy-anything-made-by-Apple trendiness, then the Zune models give some people a different rallying point.
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

From what I've heard from the people I know who own Zunes, they are quite impressive and stack up pretty comparably to the iPod, if not better than.

Comment

The cause of this is rather funny:

http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/zun...-isolated.html

Code:
              year = ORIGINYEAR; /* = 1980 */

while (days > 365)
              {
                  if (IsLeapYear(year))
                  {
                      if (days > 366)
                      {
                          days -= 366;
                          year += 1;
                      }
                  }
                  else
                  {
                      days -= 365;
                      year += 1;
                  }
              }
              Essentially if it IsLeapYear() and days == 366, then the if(days < 366) branch is never taken. There's no else clause on this branch, so nothing happens. The code stays within the while (days > 365) loop infinitely.

So on the 366th day of a leap year, such as December 31st, 2008, the code just goes into an infinite loop. Whoops.
              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
              [ redacted ]

Comment

Apparently the fix was to not do anything at all ... does that seem right to you? (Bonus points if you know what TV show ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                  From what I've been reading in stories regarding the date issue, there's apparently a whole "Zune Good, iPod Bad" culture out there. If someone is dead set against the whole I'll-buy-anything-made-by-Apple trendiness, then the Zune models give some people a different rallying point.
                  I have no problems with my original 4Gb iPod.

Comment

I have no problems with my original 4Gb iPod.
                    My wife has a 30GB iPod, the original video model. It had a couple of minor issues with it locking up, but a firmware upgrade fixed that. I have a 3rd gen. Nano, that I received as promotion. It's given me no problems. I also have a SanDisk Sansa.

I love the iPod interface, but hate iTunes, mainly because it keeps trying to install other Apple software like Safari. Plus it requires QuickTime. After some of the security issues with both of them, I just refuse to use iTunes.

WinAmp is the PC interface for my iPod and the Sansa.
                    Thorn
                    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Working...
                    X