This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volunteering For DEFCON 17

Hehe Cot, now I know why we have the same forum join date, but you have thousands more posts than I do. hehe

Yeah you have to be sick like I am to work at CON. Trust me. I don't remember the last talk I got to hear....

Appreciate the sacrifices, but don't offer to make them unless you are ready to commit fully to your offer...

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
      You could always list the jobs available.

First choice for me would be pre-con/post con technical setup and take down.
      Teaching soldering at the hardware village. WHOOOHOOO!
      Working the door or registration counter.
      Hosting the TCP/IP drinking game.
      Johnny on the spot, MIA speaker finder, keeping speakers sober..
      Not beneath getting coffee, clean up..

Stuff like that.

Just trying to support the con. At least you know where to find me.

xor
      Xor:

I am going to have a new in the box electronic Engima device to put together at DC17. Want to donate some of your l33t skills and time to maybe teaching and mentoring some fine points of soldering, along with those skills needed in the HHV?
      I have a few soldering devices, but your skills must include what I call, "field expedience"
      Oh, I anticipate that the completed device will be auctioned off for funds for the EFF. Want to come out and play?

You offered.

(I am not important, but I AM enthusiastic...)

Regards,

valkyrie
      __________________________________________________ ______________
      sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Don't let the secret out man!
        Don't worry, I'm usually good at keeping secrets. I've never told anyone about DT being on the Downlow or about TheCotMans Bea Arthur Fetish... Oh Shit...

I helped some people out, their was a cute girl in crutches waiting for her badge who I informed of the situation and got her to the front of the line. After giving many men their a lecture about not being gentlemen. Just because it's Vegas & the 21st century does mean we don't have to have manners. Mom raised me better than that :-).
        Blah Blah Blah, bitches can wait just like everybody else. There is nothing ungentlemanly about making someone wait in a line. DefCon isn't Disney land, just because your a cripple doesn't mean you get to go to the head of the class. If they didn't hold a door for someone you might have a point, still lecturing anyone because of your beliefs or what you think is proper to do is just ignorant.

I actually like Shmoo for a good balance. I'm better one on one than in a group. Plus the coffee is better at Shmoocon(Starbucks) than at Defcon(though I haven't made it to Coffee Wars).
        Who has the "best" coffee is like saying "which Linux distro is best". It's a discussion that zealots get into but serves no purpose.

To answer Highwiz's question, you are right, no I haven't; see above comments. I think Thorn made those comments as well about socializing more, tech less. As painful(screams in agony, and channels Charleston Heston they can have my laptop when they pry it from my cold dead hands) as it mite be to leave the laptop in the hotel room. It also mite be good advice for newbies and the socially deprived.
        The laptop question has been discussed many times before, and the advice to noobs has been given.

Originally posted by LosT View Post
        "Will there be many monkey butlers?"
        I know Siviak was going to run this in 2004. Maybe he'll revive it?

Can I rant for just a bit here? It would also serve as a piece of advice for those wishing to help out with things:

<snip>

2. Making suggestions is ok, but don't try to tell the people you are trying to help how to do what they are doing- it bugs me to no end when people say they want to help, and their version of helping is telling you how to change things. Weird Al once said that he's tired of people telling him what he should do parodies of. (on the flip side good suggestions are more than welcome and appreciated- I guess it comes down to attitude and manner of communicating- see Cot's posting above)-
        Isn't that the way it always is though? People love to tell you what your doing wrong and never realize that you may have thought of their idea before (and tried it!). And your absolutely correct, it's all about attitude. Further it's also about timing. Someone may have a fantastic idea, but may decide to tell you at the worst possible time while you're in the middle of something.

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        I spend all year volunteering on the forums and elsewhere so that I can enjoy my time at Defcon. Do I put in many hours on the forums? Yep, but no different from the other mods. Additionally, some of the mods are goons and work at Defcon too. (Work-a-holics, All of you!) Me? I really enjoy having time to myself at Defcon, and not working. I can attend to Toxic BBQ and I don't need to get permission to go off-site. If someone I know at con in running a contest or event and wants to take off to go get lunch, I can choose to offer to watch their table while they are gone or not.

By not working at Defcon, I am free to do what I want when I want.
        (Emphasis Mine)

That sums up what it is for a lot of people. To a lot of people, DefCon is there one big vacation a year (or every other year) when they get to see friends that they don't see any other time. Personally it's that way for me. Some years I'll get to see Roamer and Wiseacre and GM1 and some other defconites when it's non-defcon time and some years I won't. So DefCon is the opportunity to see all those people as well as some of my best friend who I never get to see.

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        However, volunteering in the scope and area warned by Lost and others above can be problematic. Volunteering to make a name for yourself, or have some sort of title associated with your name, and having no passion, dedication, or drive will be seen, transparently by many as a self-serving, selfish action, and may lead to being judged in that way. (This has happened in at least one contest in the past, where the volunteer promoted themselves, their sponsors, and the value they brought to Defcon more than the people in the contest, the techniques they used, and the contributions made by members. It is no longer at Defcon.)

Know why you are looking to volunteer. Volunteering with a purpose to make things better can make you a gem in the eyes of your peers. Volunteering for self-interest can put you and your intentions in the spotlight with unfavorable results
        That's an extremely good point. Even as we've been discussing the "Newbie Track" on a mailing list I've seen people come out of the wood work who don't really give a shit about doing a newbie track but just want to make a name for themselves. It can be very disheartening. If you're doing shit just to make a name for yourself or just to be able to say you're a goon or "organizer" that's bullshit. There are plenty of other ways to get your name out there without screwing over other people.

Remember though, popularity or "being known" also can and does have a downside.

Originally posted by valkyrie View Post
        I am going to have a new in the box electronic Engima device to put together at DC17. Want to donate some of your l33t skills and time to maybe teaching and mentoring some fine points of soldering, along with those skills needed in the HHV?
        I have a few soldering devices, but your skills must include what I call, "field expedience"
        Oh, I anticipate that the completed device will be auctioned off for funds for the EFF. Want to come out and play?

You offered.
        See.. There ya go. Now you have your volunteer opportunity.

(I am not important, but I AM enthusiastic...)
        Psh, whatever. You are important. Stop pretending like you don't matter.
        And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post

Psh, whatever. You are important. Stop pretending like you don't matter.
          *snicker. I didn't say I didn't matter. I said I was not important. There is a difference. :-)

Regards,

valkyrie
          __________________________________________________ ________
          sapere aude

Comment

*snicker. I didn't say I didn't matter. I said I was not important. There is a difference. :-)

Regards,

valkyrie

There are many people on this forum that you're important to...
            And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Valkyrie, I've always wanted one of those kits...

Comment

Valkyrie, I've always wanted one of those kits...
                good. do you want one constructed or unconstructed? You will give whatever it goes for to EFF. mk? I am so steampunking a couple of them. :-)

Regards,

valkyrie
                __________________________________________________ _______
                sapere aude

Comment

There are many people on this forum that you're important to...
                  Stop that! /me rolls over laughing. Ok, I am trying to understand. :-D

Regards,

valkyrie
                  __________________________________________________ ___________
                  sapere aude

Comment

good. do you want one constructed or unconstructed? You will give whatever it goes for to EFF. mk? I am so steampunking a couple of them. :-)

Regards,

valkyrie
                    __________________________________________________ _______
                    sapere aude
                    Hehe, I've had this weird idea of hacking one together with my X0xb0x. Let encryption make music....

Comment

Hehe, I've had this weird idea of hacking one together with my X0xb0x. Let encryption make music....
                      oooooo. Can I come out and play with you? That would be awesome. I have already hacked one together to work with lappy, but I never thought of a Xbox... :-) Probably because I don't have one...an Xbox that is...

Regards,

valkyrie
                      __________________________________________________ ____
                      sapere aude

Comment

Blah Blah Blah, bitches can wait just like everybody else. There is nothing ungentlemanly about making someone wait in a line. DefCon isn't Disney land, just because your a cripple doesn't mean you get to go to the head of the class. If they didn't hold a door for someone you might have a point, still lecturing anyone because of your beliefs or what you think is proper to do is just ignorant.
                        Highwiz if I saw you in crutches I would gladly carry you to the front of the line. Please do let me know when I do something right.

xor
                        Last edited by xor; January 18, 2009, 13:59.
                        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Highwiz if I saw you in crutches I would gladly carry you to the front of the line. Please do let me know when I do something right.

xor
                          He won't do that. He is one of our auditors. He keeps us personally honest in forum. Or at least tries to. :-D

Regards,

valkyrie
                          __________________________________________________ ___________
                          sapere aude

Comment

One of the things which was a learning experience was volunteering over at the speaker area. Going from a someone who is used to organizing and making things happen, to being a "monkey Butler" (funny, thats a good term). It really helped me to learn more about it all to just sit there and wait until some asked (or told) me to pick up trash, run this there, take this guy here, clean up, whatever the task was - some fun some not so fun.

But what was really good, is I got to watch these guys who obviously had done this for years sit there and make it work, and work VERY VERY well. I think some have done it for years. Other events, tend to take volunteers and throw them in the mix, unsupervised. But I think Defcon does a good job working to ensure the volunteers get the hang of what is needed and how it needs to be done (without stifling creativity).

While it was really hard to not try to fix the Mac that could not record video (computer guy next to a broke computer..agony)...but that's the marching orders. Thats someone else.

I like to volunteer, I like to get involved, I believe there are a lot of people who do. I think I like it because its a good way to meet a lot of very interesting people.

I dont recall seeing an official list of needed volunteers, but it would be a good list to create. I even like the Monkey butler idea.

-D
                            +++ Dallas +++

Comment

I agree with an earlier post. Get involved with your local DEFCON group and go from there.
                              --bc,

Comment

Agent X I'll be attending this year and I'd like to volunteer again...

Comment

Working...
                                X