Twitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitter?

I recall twitter being used (with mixed success) last year, and wonder if the powers that be will continue on with it?

For the unaware, here's the link to the future:

https://twitter.com/defcon17

Not to be outdone, I created a twitter account for coffee wars:

https://twitter.com/coffeewars

Currently anyone can follow, requires no authorization. It's just another way the overcaffeinated can stay up to date with any changes, including the announcement of the winning entry.

Mmmmmm, Coffee (Moka Java).

Re: Twitter?

Yes, we used Twitter last year, and am planning to use it again this year.. actually we use it all year long with minor announcements, interesting observations, etc.

We'll have to make sure in the contests section for Coffee Wars to include the link to twitter.

Oh, another note to those who do not know, twitter is one of the only 'social' forums that you can totally access over https://

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
    I recall twitter being used (with mixed success) last year, and wonder if the powers that be will continue on with it?

For the unaware, here's the link to the future:

https://twitter.com/defcon17

Not to be outdone, I created a twitter account for coffee wars:

https://twitter.com/coffeewars

Currently anyone can follow, requires no authorization. It's just another way the overcaffeinated can stay up to date with any changes, including the announcement of the winning entry.

Mmmmmm, Coffee (Moka Java).
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
      Yes, we used Twitter last year, and am planning to use it again this year.. actually we use it all year long with minor announcements, interesting observations, etc.

We'll have to make sure in the contests section for Coffee Wars to include the link to twitter.

Oh, another note to those who do not know, twitter is one of the only 'social' forums that you can totally access over https://
      No worries on the link. When it gets closer, we'll make the usual posts on the forum and mailing lists, and include that as part of it. Us caffeine junkes are actually pretty casual folk, as you know.

Comment

No worries on the link. When it gets closer, we'll make the usual posts on the forum and mailing lists, and include that as part of it. Us caffeine junkes are actually pretty casual folk, as you know.
        Would you like me to add the twitter link to the description for the coffeewars forum?
        I was thinking (twitter) like we often do with (site) for contests that include links to their site.

I've got no problem back-editing any contest/event that has such a link and provides it through a leader/organizer or someone validated to be an official representative for the contest or event.

If this is popular with many contests/events choosing to offer twitter resource links, then you might be able to talk Neil into snarfing any links I acquire, and including them in the really cool, contest/event super-dense link list he included last year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
          Would you like me to add the twitter link to the description for the coffeewars forum?
          I was thinking (twitter) like we often do with (site) for contests that include links to their site.
          I don't think it's really too important for us. There may be a few updates, but the entertainment value really lies in the useful announce-ey kind of stuff that happens at the conference, and after.

I've got no problem back-editing any contest/event that has such a link and provides it through a leader/organizer or someone validated to be an official representative for the contest or event.
          I think it might be cool for some of the contests though, now that you mention it. I think that having updates on CTF and the scavenger hunt might be kind of fun.

If this is popular with many contests/events choosing to offer twitter resource links, then you might be able to talk Neil into snarfing any links I acquire, and including them in the really cool, contest/event super-dense link list he included last year.
          Neil, Neil, sounds kinda familiar. I'll have to go off and think for a while and see if I can remember him...

Comment

The twitter action last year was pretty good. I enjoyed getting updates from the talks that I couldn't wedge my ass into. Sometimes it was too much noise though.

Comment

I'd really like to see a projector dedicated exclusively to showing the Defcon Twitter feed on auto-refresh. Considering half the Wall of Sheep got dedicated to Twitter on iPhone (WTF people, are you on WiFi?) I'm sure there was a lot of interesting chatter going on that only twitter.com/defcon16 could see. Personally I posted a few dozen tweets (most of which were photos) and only a few of them actually contained the word "defcon".

Either that, or display search.twitter.com/search?q=%23defcon on auto-refresh, and be sure to post that you need #defcon in your tweet for it to show up.
              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
              [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
                I'd really like to see a projector dedicated exclusively to showing the Defcon Twitter feed on auto-refresh. Considering half the Wall of Sheep got dedicated to Twitter on iPhone (WTF people, are you on WiFi?) I'm sure there was a lot of interesting chatter going on that only twitter.com/defcon16 could see. Personally I posted a few dozen tweets (most of which were photos) and only a few of them actually contained the word "defcon".

Either that, or display search.twitter.com/search?q=%23defcon on auto-refresh, and be sure to post that you need #defcon in your tweet for it to show up.
                We actually tried to set this up last year on the info booth projector, but there were some technical difficulties.

It's definitely something we want to perfect for this year, because the real-time feedback is pretty amazing.

Comment

Just an fyi - the DEFCON twitter account name is now _defcon_. If you already follow, you shouldn't need to re-follow. If you link to our twitter account, please update.

This will be the the main and only DEFCON Twitter feed.

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
                    Just an fyi - the DEFCON twitter account name is now _defcon_. If you already follow, you shouldn't need to re-follow. If you link to our twitter account, please update.

This will be the the main and only DEFCON Twitter feed.
                    You might want to post an update to the defcon17 twitter account then, since it already has 60+ followers.

Comment

You might want to post an update to the defcon17 twitter account then, since it already has 60+ followers.
                      Once I get the login from DT I shall do this....

Comment

I will be doing the defcon twitter at the show this year. I'll be compiling tweets, re-tweeting, etc.

Meaning:

What's going on.
                        Fed Spotting. (Trixie hobbits)
                        Party Spots.
                        Contest results.
                        Schedule changes ( hopefully NONE)
                        General tweets, etc
                        Undercover reporter spotting.
                        Vendor announcements.
                        Hopefully Info booth announcements.
                        Meeting locations.
                        Toxic BBQ announcements.
                        Eff notices. ( hopefully)

That said, I want to know WHAT you want to see and read when you're at the show from the official twitter? Anything specific? Twit Pics? Things of that nature.

Please advise, so you can get the most of the Defcon twitter while at the show. If you want to be able to make requests to have things posted to the twitter, what will be the easiest way for YOU to do so? Etc etc. Looking for feedback here.

Thanks much
                        Nikita
                        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
                          We actually tried to set this up last year on the info booth projector, but there were some technical difficulties.

It's definitely something we want to perfect for this year, because the real-time feedback is pretty amazing.
                          Not sure what the technical difficulties are... it's pretty damn easy to put this sort of thing together.

What I'd suggest:

Hook a box up to the projector. Install Firefox, and install the ReloadEvery extension.

From here there's a couple things you could load up in Firefox:

1) Have someone log in as the _defcon_ user. Display their timeline, and reload every 30 seconds or something like that
                          2) If you don't like having a box sitting around logged into the _defcon_ account you could always just search Twitter for the #defcon hashtag. Reload every 30 seconds as well. The only problem with this is a lot of people don't know what hashtags are or why they should use them, so tweets from these people won't be displayed otherwise.

Fullscreen Firefox and you should be good to go.
                          Last edited by bascule; May 15, 2009, 18:39.
                          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                            That said, I want to know WHAT you want to see and read when you're at the show from the official twitter? Anything specific? Twit Pics? Things of that nature.
                            I'd be happy if the official Defcon Twitter would just retweet events that weren't officially publicized (e.g. Minibosses playing in the Penthouse)
                            [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
                              Not sure what the technical difficulties are... it's pretty damn easy to put this sort of thing together.
                              And note: if someone can provide a computer/projector I'd be more than willing to volunteer to set this up.
                              [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
                              X