This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arena created!

I built the arena last night, it's basically an oval and should be pretty easy for the bots to traverse. The "wide" side is wide enough to easily pass on, but the "narrow" side may be tough.

http://defconbots.org/defcon17/arena.php

Kallahar
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Re: Arena created!

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
    I built the arena last night, it's basically an oval and should be pretty easy for the bots to traverse. The "wide" side is wide enough to easily pass on, but the "narrow" side may be tough.

http://defconbots.org/defcon17/arena.php

Kallahar
    Nice job on that arena! If you are in the same location on the contest floor as 2 years ago, and the year before that (I don't know where you were last year) then people might be able to watch from one of the skyboxes. If you could have some level of security, you could even have a camera mounted to the pole and secured in some fashion to provide a eye-in-the-sky view of the contest for projection onto a wall. (Just what you want... more suggestions for crap to lug into and out of the contest area.)

Comment

Ah good idea. DC949 had requested that corner, and then it's wall of sheep, then the food area... Having an overhead camera would be awesome though. I wonder if I could borrow one of those scissor-lifts?

Kallahar

Comment

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
        Ah good idea. DC949 had requested that corner, and then it's wall of sheep, then the food area... Having an overhead camera would be awesome though. I wonder if I could borrow one of those scissor-lifts?

Kallahar
        Ah. If you were moved to where aCTF was 2 years ago, then your back would be to a partition. It might be possible to mount a camera at the top of that wall by sliding the top of the partition into a U-joint with clamp. A ladder would be needed, and you would need clearance for fit and um, well, clearance for permission. :-)

There was a Defcon one year between 6 and 8 or 9 where a "web cam" was mounted in the chill-out space.Getting permission to run a webcam with 802.11* access, and a separate ESSID/name and frequency not used by other accss points might let people on laptops associate with your wireless access point to see a video stream if they are close enough. Obviously, quality would have to scale to available BW, so as more users connected, quality would drop. You'd probably have to also limit the max number of clients, and set a dhcp lease time of 1 minute with max number of leases.

Such an idea could work well with many of the contests, but probably shouldn't share the same wireless LAN setup by Defcon, though it could share the wired network.

It would be more work, but a collection of these cameras could be good for recording video to be shared after the con. If I could afford such cameras, and yellow tape, and storage for 3 days of video, then the visual area being recorded by cameras could be marked on the ground too, to let people know where they might be on camera. How awesome would a 60 second clip of the winning robot, running during the closing ceremonies and award be? Imagine that for each contest that video could be used and included.

Comment

Yeah, I don't want to get kicked out like G4/TechTV did!

Comment

the angles displayed on the arena drawing do not match.
            you have 2 adjacent 120 deg angles, one of them has to be 150. which one is it ?

Comment

Working...
            X