• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: Zombies ahead

You just can't help but love this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,484326,00.html

Re: Warning: Zombies ahead

Texas is a perfect state for it to have happened in as well.

Ya gotta wonder how many people saw it, shrugged, and proceeded to make sure their shotguns were loaded and accessible.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Now it's velociraptors....

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...7/1015/LOCAL01

"I did not hear of accidents happening from rubber-necking or gawking (at the sign)," Heck said.

Neither, she said, were there any raptor attacks.

Comment

and here in WA

http://www.kirotv.com/traffic/18650048/detail.html

Buddy of mine even got photos while it was up and running (he was driving by).

One of the better quotes from the article:

"They think it's funny but it's extremely dangerous," explained Holter.
        "First, they have to manually change the reader board so they are standing
        out on the side of the freeway putting their life in danger. Second, drivers
        think there are either Zombie's ahead or it's a joke, so they stay in the
        lane. The reader board should be warning drivers their lane is about to end
        as machinery is in the way. If drivers don't know to change lanes then it
        becomes very dangerous."

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Apparently most of these things have some sort of instructions with passwords written right on them. I remember driving back from Orlando two years ago and someone changed a sign to "GO HOME NASCAR SUCKS" and I chuckled to myself, I've always wanted to learn how to do that >:3
          "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post

becomes very dangerous."
            I know I don't have to point this out to you, but, how many times have all of us seen these boards with inaccurate information posted on them about traffic conditions. So his statement about important information is bullshit. Personally, I'd like to know if there's zombies ahead.
            A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
              I know I don't have to point this out to you, but, how many times have all of us seen these boards with inaccurate information posted on them about traffic conditions. So his statement about important information is bullshit. Personally, I'd like to know if there's zombies ahead.
              And in this case here in WA, the sign originally was advising people of a closed lane that wasn't closed.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Weatherman said chance of zombies today was 30%. Of how often is the weatherman right?

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
                  Apparently most of these things have some sort of instructions with passwords written right on them. I remember driving back from Orlando two years ago and someone changed a sign to "GO HOME NASCAR SUCKS" and I chuckled to myself, I've always wanted to learn how to do that >:3
                  About 4-5 years ago there was a 2600 Magazine article on how to program these signs. If I recall the details correctly, it comes down to getting in the battery/computer box (usually secured with a cheap, easy to compromise padlock) and entering the info you want to display. The signs have a series of preset buffers containing stock phrases like "CONSTRUCTION AHEAD" or "RIGHT LANE CLOSED". There are open buffers beyond those which you can put in anything you want as long as it is under the buffer size (~30 characters or so.) In many cases the default password is "DOT" or "DOT1", and in more than one the author of the article said the password was written inside the box cover to workers didn't even have to remember the default.

Originally posted by noid View Post
                  and here in WA

http://www.kirotv.com/traffic/18650048/detail.html

Buddy of mine even got photos while it was up and running (he was driving by).

One of the better quotes from the article:

becomes very dangerous."
                  Another quote you have to love:

"... The Web site mentioned in the alert, www.jalopnik.com, has a post about road signs that have been hacked all around the country. ...

What the KIRO 7 traffic department found scary was that on this Web ,site there are links teaching people how to hack road signs.

Holter finds this scary too. She urges motorists to call 911 if they see anyone in a construction zone that isn't in a hard hat and an orange vest."

So KIRO 7 thinks it is bad that there is a web site with "scary" information, but publishes the link anyway, and the DOT spokesman essentially gives out social engineering instructions on how to evade detection. The next thing will no doubt be a push for a law to restrict the sale of hardhats and safety vests.
                  Thorn
                  "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                    About 4-5 years ago there was a 2600 Magazine article on how to program these signs. If I recall the details correctly, it comes down to getting in the battery/computer box (usually secured with a cheap, easy to compromise padlock) and entering the info you want to display. The signs have a series of preset buffers containing stock phrases like "CONSTRUCTION AHEAD" or "RIGHT LANE CLOSED". There are open buffers beyond those which you can put in anything you want as long as it is under the buffer size (~30 characters or so.) In many cases the default password is "DOT" or "DOT1", and in more than one the author of the article said the password was written inside the box cover to workers didn't even have to remember the default.

"... The Web site mentioned in the alert, www.jalopnik.com, has a post about road signs that have been hacked all around the country. ...

What the KIRO 7 traffic department found scary was that on this Web ,site there are links teaching people how to hack road signs.

Holter finds this scary too. She urges motorists to call 911 if they see anyone in a construction zone that isn't in a hard hat and an orange vest."

So KIRO 7 thinks it is bad that there is a web site with "scary" information, but publishes the link anyway, and the DOT spokesman essentially gives out social engineering instructions on how to evade detection. The next thing will no doubt be a push for a law to restrict the sale of hardhats and safety vests.
                    /me snickers. I am so glad you pointed it out, because I was all vibrating about that. BTW, I have had a hard hat and safety vest for a while now. Add chaps and a riding crop and I am ready to go... (me packs her Leatherman. They come in handy, you know?)

Regards,

valkyrie
                    __________________________________________________ ____
                    sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post

I just think its funny that this Jalopnik tool is repackaging shit this community did years ago. He should stick to doing whatever the fuck it is that he does, leave the hacking to us.

Comment

The only thing that worries me here is the Chicken Little effect, when the zombies are roaming the highways, seeing a roadway sign blinking "ZOMBIES AHEAD!" will have most if not all motorists just blaming the hackers, only to become zombie fodder and we'll all be up a creek without a chainsaw or shotgun...
                        Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon View Post
                          The only thing that worries me here is the Chicken Little effect, when the zombies are roaming the highways, seeing a roadway sign blinking "ZOMBIES AHEAD!" will have most if not all motorists just blaming the hackers, only to become zombie fodder and we'll all be up a creek without a chainsaw or shotgun...
                          I think that's fine. If they want to ignore the inevitability of a Zombie Apocalypse, then more ammo and molotovs for me.
                          Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Texas is a perfect state for it to have happened in as well.

Ya gotta wonder how many people saw it, shrugged, and proceeded to make sure their shotguns were loaded and accessible.
                            In Texas it's, YEE-HAW!!!!! lets get us some Zombies(the sound of a round entering the chamber follows).

xor
                            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan View Post
                              I think that's fine. If they want to ignore the inevitability of a Zombie Apocalypse, then more ammo and molotovs for me.
                              GRABAN PEEELS.

I saw a sign this weekend, but I was too chicken to go near it D:
                              "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Working...
                              X