Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the forums useful during Defcon?

[summary]
    Are the forums useful during Defcon? If not, is there anything that can be changed to make them useful during con?

[background]
    I don't use the forums at all during Defcon. Keeping them open has provided some contest people with access to content, like LoST @ con mystery contest, as people want to look up clues he provided online.

Maybe you have some ideas? Maybe you think something else could exist on the forums while Defcon is running.

We also tend to wrap up the forums in such a way that during Defcon, there are less spaces for users to post content. Should we leave the forums as open as they are now while Defcon is running, or stick with the more restrictive access?

[Me]
    I think converge or Chris created Drunken Banter. That will go live during Defcon. I do like that as a forum for silliness and strangeness. Heck, I could even open it up for new users without the normal waiting period. This would mean spammers could have a field-day with it if they found it, but we can clean it up later.

[You]

Re: Are the forums useful during Defcon?

I didn't use the forums when I was there during 15, but since I missed 16, I enjoyed watching the few posts that did go by during the con. I think it should be left open as it is now, but not opened further.

S

Comment

Of course the forums are useful during con. Where else can we practice our CSS attacks?
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I think I've used the forums maybe once of twice ever durring the con. This year that may be different since Im running a contest/event.

Comment

i barely have time to check my email during con, let alone check forums, so no, i don't use them during the con. but even if the majority of those at the con don't use the forums, that's no reason to take em down for those who do, and those not at the con. my 2ยข tossed in the pot.
          "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Well, unless I bring a Cell card, I wont be visiting the forums during Defcon. :-)

Comment

I log into every system I can from the conference. That's how I roll. Dangerous.

Comment

The forums would be more useful if they played better on mobile devices.
                --bc,

Comment

Originally posted by big chopper View Post
                  The forums would be more useful if they played better on mobile devices.
                  --bc,
                  We're working on it.. Neil has a really cool mobile friendly website. As far as the forums, we'll see how the newer 3.81 goes. It would be cool if they had a more mobile friendly theme.
                  PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                    We're working on it.. Neil has a really cool mobile friendly website. As far as the forums, we'll see how the newer 3.81 goes. It would be cool if they had a more mobile friendly theme.
                    Excellent! The other thing that would be REALLY nice is if the con schedule is in a mobile friendly format.
                    --bc,

Comment

I dont use a computer while I am at Defcon, so the forums are useless to me

If you wanted to make the forums work in a manner that doesnt require a computer, that would be cool. I recommend 3x5 cards.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                        I dont use a computer while I am at Defcon, so the forums are useless to me

If you wanted to make the forums work in a manner that doesnt require a computer, that would be cool. I recommend 3x5 cards.
                        Same here and speaking as a Goon a nice foot bath, clean shirt, and lots of cold beer at the end of a shift is much more useful for us than a computer.

Hey just had a thought noid can we influence the Scavenger hunt folks to put in a task to "Buy a goon a foot massage"?

Comment

Yea, at DC16 I barely used my computer at all, only at the end of the day Friday and only for a little while. I did try to use the forums on my iPhone, but like others have mentioned its not mobile friendly and nobody was really posting anyway.
                          "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Last year - twitter was the main gig. We posted all our party events to @ ihacked on twitter. It was very easy to see what was going on since everyone was posting with #defcon.

-suRb0-
                            update your 404--=--

Comment

What if there was section devoted to finding people to hang out with while at con? I could see a free form Con thread being used to find more party goers... maybe something like, "hey, I want to get a group together to visit the new Quark's, anyone who wants to go is welcome to join in."

Or "looking for more for area 51 tour, group rates apply if we can find 4 more to go"...

Thats just a few options, but the ideas are endless. If its done right, I can see the forums being a pretty valuable tool for individual con goers to meet up with others and find fun stuff to do together....and maybe even make new friends. ^.^

Comment

Working...
                              X