This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFCON 17 Call For Papers Now Open!

Dark monks of techno-fu, it is that time of the year again! The DEFCON CFP is now open!

What: DEFCON 17 Call For Papers
    When: The Call for Papers will close on May 15, 2009
    How: Complete the Call for Papers Form and send to talks at defcon dot org

Papers and presentations are now being accepted for DEFCON 17, the conference your mother and ISC(2) warned you about. DEFCON will take place at the Riviera in Las Vegas, NV, USA, July 31 - August 2, 2009.

Re: DEFCON 17 Call For Papers Now Open!

Just make sure you are addressing something more critical than this poor submitter I had to reject:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ted_talk.png
    The Dark Tangent: Use PGP for email Key ID: 0x8B0B476D
    Fingerprint: EA2B 63F9 2219 9171 2AB1 0065 FC59 8B0B 476D

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
      Just make sure you are addressing something more critical than this poor submitter I had to reject:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ted_talk.png
      I'm really hurt D.T.

xor
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I take it my proposal to offically change the Hacker War Cry from "Hack The Planet" to "Crack Da Wepz" is out of the question to.

xor
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

DT, I would like to officially request that anyone that uses the phrase "I can has" or any form thereof in the CFP submission be not only rejected, but beaten with their own limbs...

LosT

Comment

I just wanted to give people the heads up that might not have read it on the CFP page that it seeems this year there will be two rounds of speaker acceptance and that half of the schedule will be filled before the submission deadline to encourage people to submit as early as possible.

This would be a good year not to chose to be a total slacker like me. ;)

Comment

When will the first round be announced? May 1st sticks in my head for some reason, but I don't see an exact date range anywhere.

Comment

May 1 sounds about right!

Comment

I'm giddy to hear back. I've never submitted to talk before. Win, lose, or draw, I'm looking forward to the actual event!

Too bad it's still 3+ months away........

Comment

First batch selected, working on second batch now.. I hope to hear back from everyone by this weekend and announce the send batch next week.

In the end I'm expecting four or five batches total, keep an eye out this weekend for the first batch to be posted. It's getting close to CON!

Comment

First batch selected, working on second batch now.. I hope to hear back from everyone by this weekend and announce the send batch next week.

In the end I'm expecting four or five batches total, keep an eye out this weekend for the first batch to be posted. It's getting close to CON!
                      I'm anticipating about 5,000 refreshes over the weekend for the first batch. Submitting adds a layer of anticipation (as if more was needed)! BWHAHAHA!

Comment

Does the submission process have a confirmation reply this year? I opted for the "email DT directly if you want to use PGP" option specified on the CFP page, but didn't receive any word back on whether or not it was received.

Just curious.
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

The next batch of accepted talks is going up this week, and the reviewers are turning in batch #4 today!

Comment

The next batch of accepted talks is going up this week, and the reviewers are turning in batch #4 today!
                            How many talks approx. are going to get accepted? With more speaking rooms, I was curious if there was a target number of slots to fill.

There's been 35ish accepted so far, so there's a decent amount to still be decided, no?

Comment

Working...
                            X