Backtrack 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backtrack 4

Backtrack 4 beta is out. Just wondering if anyone has tried it or what your thoughts are. Im loading it on a virtual box tonight to try it out.

http://backtrack4.blogspot.com/
    Not every problem, nor every thesis, should be examined, but only one which might puzzle one of those who needs argument

Re: Backtrack 4

I looked at it briefly last night... unfortunately it did not pick up on my Atheros PCMCIA card out of the box ;/ I'm gonna install it on an SD card on my eeepc later in the week to see how that works. It looks really nice, I'm just getting into Linux, so I can't give much input on the backend, but I think they moved to a debian core.
    "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

BackTrack 4 Beta is based upon Ubuntu rather than Slackware/Slax as in the past. apt-get now works!
      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I'm really impressed with how quick they fixed the bugs from Shmoocon. apt-get is really nice to have now.
        afterburn

Comment

I am not a fan of KDE, but installing another window manager is a lot easier now that the distro is based on Ubuntu. It's also going to be easier to learn for new people who's not used to linux, and that's always a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by emily View Post
            I am not a fan of KDE, but installing another window manager is a lot easier now that the distro is based on Ubuntu. It's also going to be easier to learn for new people who's not used to linux, and that's always a plus.
            Im not the biggest fan of kde myself, but then again, gnome doesnt really do it for me either (im rather indecisive). I agree I think this version is going to much easier and painless to learn if you havent used linux before.

Ive played with this for a few days now and I definitley think it is going to bea big improvement on backtrack 3 (which was great). I think the move to ubuntu/debian helps a lot because as others have already stated, apt-get is very nice to have. I loaded this on my eeepc and it ran fine, which is good for me because I will use it heavily on it just like i currently do bt3.
            Not every problem, nor every thesis, should be examined, but only one which might puzzle one of those who needs argument

Comment

KDE 4.x is still a work in progress in my opinion. Lets just say if I was a dolphin I would be offended . Stay with KDE 3.5 if switching around and want trouble free operation. However, as all things software generally go if you want to become an expert you must struggle with the new stuff to learn a lot about it.

xor
              Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Have liked BackTrack from the beginning and have tried everything except 4 so I am looking forward to trying the new interface. :)
                "I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art." -Kahlil Gibran

"Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them." -Walter Kerr

Comment

I have recently installed an used Backtrack 3 on one of my network administration hard drives and it took me a while to learn and understand it. As Backtrack 3 being the first Linux OS I've ever really used, it was tremendously hard to comprehend, even installing it to a hard drive from a live cd! On the contrary, I've updated to backtrack 4 and I am loving it. I've suggested it for my fellow classmates who are skeptical and hesitant to travel into the abyss of Linux. In conclusion, Backtrack 4 is amazing, and far easier to learn and understand for beginners.

Comment

Originally posted by Console View Post
                    I have recently installed an used Backtrack 3 on one of my network administration hard drives and it took me a while to learn and understand it. As Backtrack 3 being the first Linux OS I've ever really used, it was tremendously hard to comprehend, even installing it to a hard drive from a live cd! On the contrary, I've updated to backtrack 4 and I am loving it. I've suggested it for my fellow classmates who are skeptical and hesitant to travel into the abyss of Linux. In conclusion, Backtrack 4 is amazing, and far easier to learn and understand for beginners.
                    The trouble is, BT4 isn't for beginners, or even the average user. From the beginning, BTx -and WHAX and Auditor before their merger- has been designed for Pen Testers. Can you use it? Sure, but considering that it's very stripped down in some areas, and extremely souped up in others. it is not the ideal distro for a beginner. It's sort of like learning to drive on a Ferrari, when what the average beginning driver needs is something closer to a mommy-van that can haul groceries and take six kids to a Little League game.

If you're just learning Linux, try the basic Ubuntu which BT4 is based on. It has more of the applications that a beginner will want and need. Once you've mastered that, then you can add the complexity of the pen test tools.
                    Thorn
                    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                      The trouble is, BT4 isn't for beginners, or even the average user. From the beginning, BTx -and WHAX and Auditor before their merger- has been designed for Pen Testers. Can you use it? Sure, but considering that it's very stripped down in some areas, and extremely souped up in others. it is not the ideal distro for a beginner. It's sort of like learning to drive on a Ferrari, when what the average beginning driver needs is something closer to a mommy-van that can haul groceries and take six kids to a Little League game.

If you're just learning Linux, try the basic Ubuntu which BT4 is based on. It has more of the applications that a beginner will want and need. Once you've mastered that, then you can add the complexity of the pen test tools.
                      Or he could just install slack without any GUI and use that for a while... That would definitely teach him a lot.
                      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                        Or he could just install slack without any GUI and use that for a while... That would definitely teach him a lot.
                        For a head first emersion like that - I suggest Gentoo from personal experience. It was a smoother ride than Linux From Scratch and helped not just myself but others get a crash course into the basics. The steps for setup (well documented in their guide) provided a good introduction of the procedures needed to set up a system (ie: partitioning, formatting, compiling a kernel, editing fstab, installing/configuring X, etc). Just my personal suggestion if someone does wish to take that route.
                        afterburn

Comment

Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
                          For a head first emersion like that - I suggest Gentoo from personal experience. It was a smoother ride than Linux From Scratch and helped not just myself but others get a crash course into the basics. The steps for setup (well documented in their guide) provided a good introduction of the procedures needed to set up a system (ie: partitioning, formatting, compiling a kernel, editing fstab, installing/configuring X, etc). Just my personal suggestion if someone does wish to take that route.
                          It was meant as a joke, but I kinda figured some dick would have to bring in the "my distro is better!" spiel. So lets not start a "distro war".. douche.
                          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                            It was meant as a joke, but I kinda figured some dick would have to bring in the "my distro is better!" spiel. So lets not start a "distro war".. douche.
                            Haha, no matter how I word things you always manage to find wrong in my statements HighWiz. Keeping me on my toes here... Sorry all, was not trying to start a distro war here.
                            afterburn

Comment

Edit: hanging head in shame because I missed the joke, apologies as well.
                              Last edited by moleprince; February 22, 2009, 11:01.
                              " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
                              - Willard Orman Van Quine

Comment

Working...
                              X