X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Defcon 2009...

How about a Miss Defcon 2009?

Points for skills, look, style, and the embodiment of Defcon.

No Swimsuit or such, just more of a coolness factor, based on more than looks. Could be the Defcon "cheerleader" in a totally respectful way. Maybe serve as an ambassador to future events, or other areas. No age or marital limits, just suave and style..

Setup a mix of 12 judges from a variety of groups (Goons, HP, TBBQ, HHV, Speakers, etc..). Contestants could be nominated and go throughout the Defcon promoting hacker grrllz and such. I think if done respectfully, could be very positive and lead to more positive press for the event.

I have a few ideas, but wanted to float and see what flame comes this way..

I'd suggest a Mr. Defcon 2009, but Dan, Noid or Flea would win.
    +++ Dallas +++

Re: Miss Defcon 2009...

While part of me wants to say "this is why we can't have nice things", I think the epic lulz that could result from a Mr. Defcon pageant might make putting up with a Ms. Defcon one worth it. That said, while I've very effectively donned a bikini for the EFF's dunk tank, you can count me out :/

Comment

Originally posted by hypatia View Post
      While part of me wants to say "this is why we can't have nice things", I think the epic lulz that could result from a Mr. Defcon pageant might make putting up with a Ms. Defcon one worth it. That said, while I've very effectively donned a bikini for the EFF's dunk tank, you can count me out :/
      Just to point out, two key words - no swimsuit contest and respectful. Now that you mention it, it might be kinda fun to do a Mr. Defcon contest. But back to the suggestion, not to demoralize or cause any disrespect, but to essential but it in the realm of brains instead of a bikini...
      +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Is it respectful to have a competition that only a person of a certain gender can win?

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
          Just to point out, two key words - no swimsuit contest and respectful. Now that you mention it, it might be kinda fun to do a Mr. Defcon contest. But back to the suggestion, not to demoralize or cause any disrespect, but to essential but it in the realm of brains instead of a bikini...
          I appreciate that you've been clear about that... I guess I just see it as a tricky road to navigate, even if you're calling it "looks and style and the embodiment of Defcon" instead of a swimsuit contest. It's still totally superficial and not relevant to actual hacking skill. I mean, that's the essential trouble with pageantish events, even ones which make a big deal about being about "more than just looks". You might have noticed (just as an example) that all of the women on Miss America look pretty similar in terms of size, able-bodiedness (except that one deaf woman who won a few years back), "traditionally attractive" features, etc.

All that said, it can be done right. A few years back one of my heroes, CS Prof Ellen Spertus, was crowned "Sexiest Geek Alive" in an incredibly dorky and endearing pageant - see http://people.mills.edu/spertus/Geek/ :)

Comment

Mr. or Mrs. Defcon exists in many ways through the people that provide content through speaking at defcon, education in the various villages, hosting of parties, organization of contests and events, and general fun at Defcon, as well as the winners of the contest and events.

The biggest, and most universal problem with a title like, "Mr." or "Miss" Defcon, is everyone has their own idea about how to define Defcon. Because so many definitions exist, no one person's criteria would likely be sufficient to factor in all qualities (with the "proper" weighting) which would epitomize "best Defcon person or people."

Additionally, such a contest would be purely subjective, and likely lead to disagreement among many people, and maybe even hurt feelings. Of course, hurt feelings shouldn't be enough to stop a contest or event, but it would likely offer another source of drama to Defcon. (Of course, this may count as a mark in favor of such a contest to some.)

I do like the idea of there being a "most popular presentation" for each track, and have this measured by people present to watch. Additionally, a "People's Choice" for "best presentation" would be good too, but difficult to implement with accurate counts. (What would we do? Setup e-voting machines from Diebold? ;-)

Contests and events have their own "Mr/Miss" title for the event, but they are called, "winners," of the contest or event.

It would be good to provide recognition to the best of each classification or Defcon facet, but this too is wrought with subjective evaluation, or some less-than-secure, and inaccurate method to determine a People's Choice for each type.

There are more problems than what I have outlined above, but I don't have time to list them all.
            Last edited by TheCotMan; February 23, 2009, 14:41.

Comment

Additionally, a "People's Choice" for "best presentation" would be good too, but difficult to implement with accurate counts. (What would we do? Setup e-voting machines from Diebold? ;-)
              Best idea yet. Since the person that wins would be the person who can most effectively hack the machines.
              A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Yes. Let's come up with a way to make the awards ceremony longer. Perhaps if we do it right the awards ceremony from DC 17 can last until the opening of DC 18.
                perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Yes. Let's come up with a way to make the awards ceremony longer. Perhaps if we do it right the awards ceremony from DC 17 can last until the opening of DC 18.
                  You're just looking for a reason to stay drunk for an entire year.
                  A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                    You're just looking for a reason to stay drunk for an entire year.
                    Like I need a reason.
                    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                      Mr. or Mrs. Defcon exists in many ways through the people that provide content through speaking at defcon, education in the various villages, hosting of parties, organization of contests and events, and general fun at Defcon, as well as the winners of the contest and events.

The biggest, and most universal problem with a title like, "Mr." or "Miss" Defcon, is everyone has their own idea about how to define Defcon. Because so many definitions exist, no one person's criteria would likely be sufficient to factor in all qualities (with the "proper" weighting) which would epitomize "best Defcon person or people."

Additionally, such a contest would be purely subjective, and likely lead to disagreement among many people, and maybe even hurt feelings. Of course, hurt feelings shouldn't be enough to stop a contest or event, but it would likely offer another source of drama to Defcon. (Of course, this may count as a mark in favor of such a contest to some.)

I do like the idea of there being a "most popular presentation" for each track, and have this measured by people present to watch. Additionally, a "People's Choice" for "best presentation" would be good too, but difficult to implement with accurate counts. (What would we do? Setup e-voting machines from Diebold? ;-)

Contests and events have their own "Mr/Miss" title for the event, but they are called, "winners," of the contest or event.

It would be good to provide recognition to the best of each classification or Defcon facet, but this too is wrought with subjective evaluation, or some less-than-secure, and inaccurate method to determine a People's Choice for each type.

There are more problems than what I have outlined above, but I don't have time to list them all.
                      Actually thats not a bad idea, perhaps closer to the intent than my explanation. To be clear -crystal - my suggestion was based on brains and bikinis would never come into it. But a best of section would be a good idea. I see organizers, volunteers etc which go the extra mile all the time at the event. Might be good to find a way for the crowds to share common agreement. I mean, for example: I appreciate AST always taking pictures, 1.> I dont need to carry a camera, and 2.> he is really good at it. or I appreciate the folks at HHV or the Lockpick folks helping teach others. I dont know. It seems as an attendee folks are always talking in the halls about this and that, and often a few names come to the top - sometimes at total random. I think recognition is always a good thing if done fairly and appropriately.

The more I think about it, Im not sure how a fair vote could be taken. What I find interesting, others may find boring and vice versa..Perhaps as attendees we should just walk up to folks and plaster them with Gold Sticky Stars and Happy faces.

Ill withdraw the idea, but plan on buying sticky gold stars for Defcon 17.

-D
                      +++ Dallas +++

Comment

This is almost as bad as our Crack for Guns program.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Back in '03, a UK based television program thought it would be fun to hold a pageant for video gamers. The results:

1. Geek-sexy does not translate into pageantry. At all.
                          2. Popularity contests bring out the worst in people. They also bring out the worst people.
                          3. Any voting system can and will be manipulated. Knowing this, many will still take the results personally.

Defcon already has a perfect "popularity" system in place, one based upon merit and personal accomplishment. I love and respect that. An additional contest is not necessary.
                          WUVMVEtSUktQRlJOVE9CSENLRUFIUUtR

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                            Ill withdraw the idea, but plan on buying sticky gold stars for Defcon 17.
                            At least you are providing new ideas, and that is a huge plus in many discussions. Even if several ideas are shot down, no new ideas ever become good ideas, or the next, " old past-time," unless they are put forward for evaluation and testing.

Maybe your next idea will be the next big rage. Maybe it will be someone else's idea. :-)

Good luck. Hopefully, this will encourage other people to propose ideas too.

Closing this thread now, as we don't need a, "me-too," thread of sorts.

People reading this after-it has been closed:
                            You don't think this is a good idea? Then submit your own ideas for discussion and constructive criticism; it is more difficult than it appears to be.
                            Last edited by TheCotMan; February 23, 2009, 22:45.

Comment

Working...
                            X