Daemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon

I wasn't sure where I wanted to post this, since I wanted to inform people about this book, as well as bringing up the idea of getting the author to come to defcon for a book signing.

So I figured it would fit best in the planning section.

I have just started this book and so far I am impressed by both its writing and accurate portrayal of technology. Now granted I am only on chapter four, but so far so good.

I think this author would be great at defcon and considering he lives in Glendale, CA wouldn't be much of an issue for him to make the trip. I also see he has nothing listed on his site regarding any events during the time this year's con takes place.

So if you haven't checked this book out I would suggest doing so, you can find out information at the author's site. thedaemon.com
    "so many books, so little time"

Re: Daemon

maybe a breakout session type signing would be more appropriate than your standard signing type gig? or perhaps he might want to look into taking out a vendor booth to do so if he is interested in the prospect. of course all of this would depend on the author/publisher's interest, as well as the interest of the community, and of course, the DC staff. the book is so far very good (chapter 17).
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

rad, was looking for a new fiction book. this should do the trick

Comment

Agreed...I read this a few months ago, and was very impressed. Suarez did a great job of planning this out, its technically accurate (with only a few stretches that bothered me) and is a great thriller...what an ending!

Comment

I just started reading the book based on the recommendation here, and, while I'm only a third of the way through, I've been pretty impressed. It's a pretty typical thriller, very easy to read, but well-written and mostly believable.

Without knowing where the story is going, I'm about ready to put it into the same category as Little Brother: a light, enjoyable cautionary tale of technology for the non-tech crowd. (Not as inspiring, though.)

Comment

I think it'd be cool to meet the author.

While I enjoyed how technically grounded it was, my father, who is a lawyer, had quite a few head scratching moments. If a death sentence ever got 'fast tracked' in only 14 months, evil computer viruses would be the least of our worries.
            It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike View Post
              Without knowing where the story is going, I'm about ready to put it into the same category as Little Brother: a light, enjoyable cautionary tale of technology for the non-tech crowd. (Not as inspiring, though.)
              I'm going to have to go back on my earlier comments. The rest of the book is almost pure thriller with a sprinkling of commentary on our society. Combined with the extreme, almost pointless violence and I'll be hard-pressed to recommend the book to the general public. It isn't that the book is bad, it is merely that, in the end, the book never rises above being entertaining.

I realy laughed when I read "ALL SPAMMERS MUST DIE". A twisted bit of comedy in the middle of a dark plot.

Comment

Dudes i love this book.. I"m re-reading it for the second time now... Kind of sad that I'm almost finished.. But there is a sequel planned in 2010.. One of my favorite books right up there with "cosmic Banditios" different genre though..

Comment

Working...
                X