Computer likes to reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer likes to reboot

hey guys maybe u all can help me. the other day and some even in the last few days. my computer will reboot and i dont even touch it and it does this and i know i havent been hacked could this be a fan problem.

sounds like a processor overheat or a memory issue... thats a shot in the dark with the info you gave though

could be software bug, virus, a specific hardware issue, dying power supply, improper power / fluctuations... and such
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Are you in Win2k? If so, there's a default control panel option that reboots on error. Instead of getting blue screens, it'll reboot. Also be sure to check all the previously mentioned items as well!
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

One of the startup/recovery options in your system applet, if I remember right...

if only there was a "don't fry on heavy utilization" option for my laptop (compaq presario 700, be wary, many instances of overheating durons)

Comment

I have a server that shuts down. It won't reboot. It shuts down ecery Saturday. Turns out that they turn off the air conditioner before the weekend. Log shows a high temperature of 213F, that's mighty hot. Think that might be a teensy issue?

Comment

AMD processor?

Comment

Dual PIII 1.26GHz Intel processors, 2GB Ram, 5 36GB HD in RAID5, dual 350w PS, all in 2U. Three in a stack, and it's the middle one that dies.

Comment

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
                AMD processor?
                Ack, I am so pro-Intel it hertz!

Comment

I'd have to say that the likelyhood of it being heat in that situation is VERY high. There are a few things you can do about it though.
                  One thing would be to have at least a one inch space between each of the boxes on the rack, this allows for better airflow.
                  Another thing you could do would be to pick up a rackmount fan unit and mount it behind the offending box.
                  The best thing to do would be to get to rackmount fans AND seperate the boxes by an inch or so and mount the fans in the at the spaces between the computers.

Hope thins helps a little.

-PoT

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

Ack, I am so pro-Intel it hertz!
                    On the other hand, I am very very pro-AMD, in the following cases:

) The system is not a notebook or generally mobile device

) The system running it has a decent chipset / motherboard

) The system running it has a godawful number of fans, of decent quality

Comment

Well this rack will not be full, so tomorrow I will remove the 2nd server and move it 2U above the top server. Glad it has two power supplies, I won't have to disconnect anyone when I move all the cables.

Comment

Re: Computer likes to reboot

Originally posted by Fused
                        hey guys maybe u all can help me. the other day and some even in the last few days. my computer will reboot and i dont even touch it and it does this and i know i havent been hacked could this be a fan problem.
                        I had a computer that was doing that for a while it turned out to be that the hardware didnt like each other. just for some reason when I had the video card and nic in on this specific mother board it just reboot. It seem to only happen when I was trying to play Unreal. It seems that the when the game loaded the gomputer would restart, it ended up being that the mother board was shorting out for some reason.

not sure if that helps ya fused
                        There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Re: Computer likes to reboot

Originally posted by Fused
                          I ran into this a couple of weeks ago on a cow-orkers machine... after the motherboard was removed it was examined and found that somehow there was something that looked like coke that had splashed on to the mobo and crystalized.. and causing it to reboot whenever it felt like it... we tried to remove the crap , but in the end, a new mobo worked fine.

Comment

Tech note: Hercules Prophet II and SB Live 5.1 Platinum do the same; well.. my system would not even boot with the two on the same board

Comment

Working...
                            X