Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you make your own food to eat in your hotel room at DEFCON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ne0nRa1n
    replied
    Re: Do you make your own food to eat in your hotel room at DEFCON?

Originally posted by mfreeck View Post
    I always bring something to cook with at con. Surprisingly, my weapon of choice is a rice cooker. It does a hell of a lot more than cook rice (which I don't do at con).
    I totally plan to cook rice in my hot pot this year at con. I have the most sensitive stomach in the world so bland is my best friend.

Leave a comment:

• RuckusKnight
    replied

Anyone know if the Mardi Gras food court is going to be open, I've heard rumors it closed.

Leave a comment:

• mfreeck
    replied

I always bring something to cook with at con. Surprisingly, my weapon of choice is a rice cooker. It does a hell of a lot more than cook rice (which I don't do at con). I have in fact reheated pizza quite effectively with a crispy (but not burnt) crust to boot. It's amazing how versatile it is. Of course, I also bring dried food (I have a dehydrator) to cook. I have in past years purchased a microwave, but bringing a rice cooker is less hassle than cabbing out to target and is actually more versatile than only being able to heat frozen food. You can cook veggies, rice, stirfry meat, etc. Reheated teriyaki is great!

Leave a comment:

• valkyrie
    replied
    Re: Do you make your own food to eat in your hotel room at DEFCON? - Celiac Resources

Originally posted by What View Post
    Food is one of the only things that has me concerned regarding going to defcon. Celiac(no gluten) + not trusting restaurants with food == a bit of a problem.
    Try here:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/t/18/1/Las...ly-restaurants

and here:

http://www.glutenfreeguidebook.com/tag/las-vegas/

and here:

http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/gl...ch.do?state=NV

You can also just ask. Many of the servers are very helpful. Also, many of the buffets have gluten-free choices.

Regards,

Valkyrie

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

Originally posted by FarmerPete View Post
    There is a liquor store very close. I can't speak for NV as a whole, but Las Vegas has booze just about everywhere. It's like Disney World, except no kids and all of the adults have some kind of alcoholic (preferably frozen) drink in their hands at all times.
    You surely see a different Vegas than the rest of us. The place seems, at times, to be just crawling with kids, and plumpish tourists from Kansas and Iowa, looking for the cheapest buffet with the most food.

There are several liquor stores very close (of course). It's Vegas.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPete
    replied

Originally posted by RuckusKnight View Post
    Is there a gas station or something nearby?

I'm assuming NV isn't a bunch of pussies like PA and I can actually buy beer at a 7-11.
    There is a liquor store very close. I can't speak for NV as a whole, but Las Vegas has booze just about everywhere. It's like Disney World, except no kids and all of the adults have some kind of alcoholic (preferably frozen) drink in their hands at all times.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by big chopper View Post
    Has anyone really made bacon with an iron?
    Your guess is as good as mine. :-)

Leave a comment:

• What
    replied

Food is one of the only things that has me concerned regarding going to defcon. Celiac(no gluten) + not trusting restaurants with food == a bit of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• hydruh
    replied

I don;t care about buying the food - I don;t eat a lot at cons and I like to try new things.

What I want is a fridge for the beer. At 15, I probably bought one drink at a bar the whole trip. I would wake up at 9:45, drag my dead ass outta bed, put two beers in the messenger bag and one in my hand and head out. That's the way to live.

S

Leave a comment:

• big chopper
    replied

Originally posted by Melesse View Post
    Oh no sir, I smell a money making opportunity here. I'm gonna get me half a dozen irons and set up shop in Track 1 w/ a mess of cheese and foil. People won't be able to resist. God knows I get the munchies constantly during cons.

And I think I'm staying at the Circus Circus, but it would be worthwhile to check and make sure they do all have mini fridges.

M.
    There must be all sorts of food hacks that can be created using:
    1.) the mini-bar (fridge),
    2.) iron,
    3.) hair drier, and
    4.) in-room coffee maker.

Has anyone really made bacon with an iron?
    --BC,

Leave a comment:

• Melesse
    replied

Oh no sir, I smell a money making opportunity here. I'm gonna get me half a dozen irons and set up shop in Track 1 w/ a mess of cheese and foil. People won't be able to resist. God knows I get the munchies constantly during cons.

And I think I'm staying at the Circus Circus, but it would be worthwhile to check and make sure they do all have mini fridges.

M.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by Melesse View Post
    Portable? Well, I guess I could bring the iron and makings with me to the talks. Someone save me a spot by a wall socket.
    Perhaps the meal doesn't include the tools used to make it.

My room comes with a mini fridge apparently
    Be careful with that. 2-3 years ago, if you signed up for a Defon plan and "Deluxe Room," you may have found that not all Deluxe rooms had fridges, only the newly (at the time) remodeled Deluxe rooms had these even though the advertised fridges in Deluxe rooms on their web page for room description.

I mentioned this before, and it is worth mentioning again, the description, online of their Deluxe rooms claimed a fridge, but there was no *note to say, "not all Deluxe rooms include a fridge." In some ways, this was false advertising. If a claim was made that Deluxe rooms have fridges, then when you get a room without a fridge, it must not be deluxe. Simple logic, no? The front desk people didn't see it that way 3 years ago, and 2 years ago, the front desk person didn't even know that was the case. Only with experience from the previous year did I ask them to ask their manage to make sure out Deluxe actually had the fridge in it.

Now the rooms appear to have different labels, and none of the descriptions have any mention of refrigerators:
    http://www.rivierahotel.com/rooms_su...oms_suites.asp

When you try to book online, there is no name of room associated with the reservation, but the picture that is displayed online with 2 bed selection is the same picture as Premier Room only suggesting that is the room of default assignment.

It looks like they have learned about their rooms, and learned not to include advertising a resource for a room type that is not in all rooms of the type advertised. :-)

You should probably still double check during check-in that the room has what you want, so you can try to make arrangements at check-in for an alternative.

Side note: with all the bacon being cooked with irons, and cheese sandwiches melted with irons, I wonder if guests that follow Defcon end up having ironed clothes that smell like cheese and bacon?
    Last edited by TheCotMan; June 4, 2009, 11:05.

Leave a comment:

• Melesse
    replied

Originally posted by uunruh View Post
    Hotel Grilled Cheese

as an added bonus this meal is also portable and great for a mid brief snack
    Portable? Well, I guess I could bring the iron and makings with me to the talks. Someone save me a spot by a wall socket.

I do a lot of traveling for work, and try and save as much per diem as possible, so I do alot of hot pockets and cereal on the road.

I'm definitely planning on breakfast in the hotel, and maybe dinner too. My room comes with a mini fridge apparently, but nothing about a microwave. I'm thinking it's going to be sandwiches all week for me for dinner.

M.

Leave a comment:

• uunruh
    replied

Hotel Grilled Cheese

1 loaf of bread
    1 package of favorite cheese (on ice)
    role of alum foil
    hotel iron

preheat iron to 5-8
    wrap said bread/cheese/bread combinaiton in alum foil.
    place iron on top of alum foil for 3-5 mins
    remove iron / flip alum foil / place iron on top of alum foil for an additional 3-5 mins
    remove iron / enjoy a "home cooked meal" along with a comp drink at the penny slots

as an added bonus this meal is also portable and great for a mid brief snack

Leave a comment:

• RuckusKnight
    replied

Is there a gas station or something nearby?

I'm assuming NV isn't a bunch of pussies like PA and I can actually buy beer at a 7-11.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X