2600 in OC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2600 in OC?

Anyone interested in (or know of) 2600 meetings in Orange County?

OC - behind the Orange Curtain

They have them, but I don't know where, and they don't seem to be that stable. A few of the LA2600 went down a couple of months ago when they were supposed to meet and didn't see anyone. "Course same could probably be said of LA if you hit Union Station at the wrong time or place, but now with pics up on the web site of the meet spots, it's easier. Plus Skroo's been trying to make sure we have a designated greeter each time (usually him).

OC I guess had a web site at one time, but it's been down for a while.
    justazero -
    "Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily."
    - George Santayana

Comment

Re: OC - behind the Orange Curtain

Originally posted by zero
      They have them, but I don't know where, and they don't seem to be that stable.
      Thanks zero,
      LA is 50 miles up and 50 miles down, also I have been threatened/advised by a judge in East LA (probably the same one everyone is familiar with)so I am not going to risk anything by driving through there to get to the LA2600. I will have to settle for the smaller breakouts in OC like the Hacking Summits..
      Sigh...

Comment

Re: OC - behind the Orange Curtain

OC I guess had a web site at one time, but it's been down for a while.
        It's been down for a while, and there was actually a rather interesting letter in the current issue of 2600 about the OC meet. I won't go into details, but will say that it was considerably less than complimentary about the behaviour and maturity levels at the meeting.

You might want to also check out the San Diego guys - they're a good bunch, and since it sounds like you're stuck in South County it might be easier for you to get to them. http://www.sd2600.net/ for info.

Comment

Re: Re: OC - behind the Orange Curtain

Originally posted by skroo
          You might want to also check out the San Diego guys
          Thanks skroo, either my side is junked or the site is currently down, but I will check on it later from another connect.
          It looks like I am stuck in the loner hole here in OC.. same thing goes for almost anything else I want to attend, they are either in LA or SD... I was meant to be a loner, I can taste it.

Comment

What about here in East? any plans for 2600 meeting?

Comment

Originally posted by TheWatcher
              What about here in East? any plans for 2600 meeting?
              I think we are all waiting for a local 2600 group to grow of the ground. I think one must either form one and hope others show, or wait for someone to form one and show. It isn't the group that works, it is the people in the group. If everyone is lazy/or has no time and no one does anything, nothing will get done, including the creation of the group.

Though I always check the mag and the site in hopes of finding a local group.

Comment

Local meetings

Originally posted by blackwave

I think we are all waiting for a local 2600 group to grow of the ground. I think one must either form one and hope others show, or wait for someone to form one and show. It isn't the group that works, it is the people in the group. If everyone is lazy/or has no time and no one does anything, nothing will get done, including the creation of the group.
                This is definitely one of the problems involved in starting a meeting. If it's pretty much the same half-dozen people who are always hanging out at Joey's house, then it's not really a meeting - you've got to get new blood in to make it actually useful, which means advertising. What we've found works well is flyering - 3"x5" flyers with meeting info, URLs, email addresses, etc. that can be dropped into issues of 2600 at bookstores, left in coffeehouses and college common areas, etc.

Word of warning about hitting the last two places: you may attract dipshits. People might not necessarily have a technical interest, but turn up anyway because they have nothing better to do. Which is fine, unless they start causing problems and you have to eject them - it pays to keep good relations with your meeting place(s).

OC's got an odd history for 2600 meetings: there are at least three or four that have sprung up and died in the last ten years. Part of the problem, too, is that you guys are the buffer zone between S.D. and L.A., and most people tend to hit whichever of the larger meets they happen to be closer to. In a way this is a good thing - you get to see people you otherwise wouldn't at a local meeting. Personally, I live in North OC and have gone to the L.A. meeting now for over three years (granted, I run it, so pretty much have to), and will probably keep doing so simply because I get to see folks I otherwise wouldn't. Hell, I used to drive back down for the meetings from the Bay Area when I was living there.

Yeah... Or go ahead and see what you can (maybe) salvage of the old meeting and start advertising it. I know Resonate was running it a while back, but I believe she's since moved and handed it off to someone else. Sorry, but I don't have contact info for her, though she should be at con. My guess, though, is since that letter got published it's either going to shape itself up or die out rapidly. Bad news travels fast.

Comment

Re: Local meetings

at con.
                  Thank you skroo for the great advice, I will be sure to write/stick some contact info on at least one of the big centralized scratch pads at DCX that are usually used to pass info to anyone interested enough to approach the pads.

Comment

Re: Local meetings

...OC's got an odd history for 2600 meetings: there are at least three or four that have sprung up and died in the last ten years.
                    Yup, one of the less known attempts was my own.

I attended about 6 meeting in a row, and then one meeting/BBQ. Some of the older people, people that have been there from the begining, actually kept conversation matter interesting. Over time, these people slowly left the group for different reasons.
                    After really thinking about it, without my biased opinion...skroo is right. It is just more logical for people to go to two larger meetings. I've got a friend who is trying to start a meeting in Orange County, not a 2600 meeting though. More organized, and more focused.
                    Anyways, I'm sure he'll make a post here once it goes 100% public.
                    Until then, I might show up at an LA2600 meeting sometime.

Comment

Re: Re: Local meetings

Originally posted by nulltone
                      I've got a friend who is trying to start a meeting in Orange County, not a 2600 meeting though. More organized, and more focused.
                      I can't wait to read your friend's post(when it is ready), I have never been to a 2600 meeting so I have no idea what the difference would be. I just know local would be nice with like-minded individuals.

Comment

Re: Re: Local meetings

Originally posted by nulltone

I've got a friend who is trying to start a meeting in Orange County, not a 2600 meeting though. More organized, and more focused.
                        Until then, I might show up at an LA2600 meeting sometime.
                        One other thing both of you might want to consider is subscribing to the L.A./S.D. mailing lists to get an idea of the sort of things people are doing. I did this a couple of years ago when we were revamping the L.A. meeting, and it really helped a lot in terms of getting perspective on how other meetings operated. It's also a good way of finding out if there are other smaller, non-2600 meetings going on, since people do occasionally tend to spin off their own gatherings onto the lists.

Oh, yeah, I also forgot to mention: regular updates to the site help a lot. Our attendance went up considerably once people could see that we actually did meet and do things.

Re: sd2600.net being down: I'm getting that as well. Looks like a DNS problem, though this is just how it appears frrom my end. I haven't spoken with h1kari or any of the other guys there about it, though, so this is just a wild guess.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

Yes, I will wait or will create one. I will keep you posted guys.

Comment

DC

It's too bad the call for papers is over skroo, you and I could have done one hell of a newbie track. "How to run/start a local 2600 meeting."
                            .: Grifter :.

Comment

Thats a damn good idea.

And about the meeting down here. You know Freaky, the guy who has made three mac security talks in a row. The one who broke part of the chandelier in the middle of the speech because he cant throw. (Oops, did I say that?)
                              Yeah, him. I think he started Nevada Underground, which grew to be a big thing. I think he's going to start something similar over here. Until then, I'm going to check out LA2600.

Comment

Working...
                              X