X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hackajar
    replied
    Re: RIV is making some changes for the better

Does the Riv not understand we are in the middle of a Rescission? (in regards to room rates)

At least the F&B VP knows how to throw a rescission proof party!

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
    Some initial RIV updates:

2 - We will get the pool to 11pm for swimming and hanging out. We can do low key DJ action till then. We are currently talking with them to determine how we can keep it longer.

If we have the pool can we have our own lifeguard too? Last year the dude closed to pool because, officially, a kid jumped in with a scratch = open wound = blood in the water. It'd suck to lose pool privileges because of an uptight weenie not good enough to be an AP security guard. I'm just sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• eecue
    replied

That rocks.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
    UPDATED: 5-5-2009: For the hotel and skybox parties, booze bought from the hotel has come down in price:
    Beer, domestic, $2
    Beer, imported, $3
    Wine, $3
    Mix drinks, $3 (I'm guessing at that price it's not top shelf)

Looks like a nice price drop!
    Badass! Those prices are quite reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Tangent
    replied

UPDATED: 5-5-2009: For the hotel and skybox parties, booze bought from the hotel has come down in price:
    Beer, domestic, $2
    Beer, imported, $3
    Wine, $3
    Mix drinks, $3 (I'm guessing at that price it's not top shelf)

Looks like a nice price drop!

Leave a comment:

• big chopper
    replied

The $89/night rates are good for the weekend, but they are very high for mid-week. If you are arriving a few days early or leaving a couple of days later, check www.Vegas.com for room rates at The Riviera for as little as $28/night.
    --bc,

Leave a comment:

• typicalRunt
    replied

Originally posted by [Syntax] View Post
    I saw hotel rooms at Sahara on Expedia as low as $24 yesterday. Just checked again. Sahara Rates
    $24 Wed, Thurs, Sun, Mon
    $75 Fri, Sat
    Jeez, that's cheap. So, an average cost of $41/night, just to stay a block down north of the hotel (albeit a Vegas block, but still...).

The stumbling distance when you just cant take anymore (from lack of sleep, excess of booze, ect) is always a plus too. Also the convenience of being able to dump off swag and not carry it around all day.
    Oh so true and that's definitely a pro on the side of staying at the Riv.

Leave a comment:

• [Syntax]
    replied

I saw hotel rooms at Sahara on Expedia as low as $24 yesterday. Just checked again. Sahara Rates
    $24 Wed, Thurs, Sun, Mon
    $75 Fri, Sat

I myself have box upon box of shirts and prizes for my Geo Challenge contest as well as the Toxic BBQ, and other events I lend a hand with. I didn't really see staying somewhere else as a viable option.

The stumbling distance when you just cant take anymore (from lack of sleep, excess of booze, ect) is always a plus too. Also the convenience of being able to dump off swag and not carry it around all day.

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

Originally posted by typicalRunt View Post
    I'd love to stay at the Riv again, but there are so many other hotels on the strip that are much cheaper (for example, Imperial Palace @ $47/night). Even the Wynn is offering $99/night promo around that time. No wonder Riv is having a hard time staying afloat, they don't understand what competition is.
    It's a real trade off staying at the Riv vs Another Hotel. It helps if you put together a list of pro's and con's. My first Defcon I stayed at another hotel and had the added cost of transportation back and forth via taxi. Not a huge public transportation fan despite the fact I use to design High Speed Trains. I only go away a couple of times a year so I figure I should treat myself. Of course cabs always try and rip you off, you just can't sit in the back and relax either.

If you are going to attend events like the TBBQ and the shoot already being at the hotel have definite benefits. The hotel's toxic network are definitely one of the con's. The wide availability of GPS has definitely changed the dynamics of going away. You no longer are at the mercy of being lost and can strike out on you own without to many issues.

xor
    Last edited by xor; April 25, 2009, 15:59.

Leave a comment:

• typicalRunt
    replied

I'd love to stay at the Riv again, but there are so many other hotels on the strip that are much cheaper (for example, Imperial Palace @ $47/night). Even the Wynn is offering $99/night promo around that time. No wonder Riv is having a hard time staying afloat, they don't understand what competition is.

Leave a comment:

• [Syntax]
    replied

Yeah, rest assured they are not booked up yet. I gave them a ring and there was no problem.
    They did inform me though that hotel tax is going from 9% to 12% some time in July before the con. So bookings are being booked at 9% tax, but when you check-out/check-in the bill will be at 12% tax.

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

Same here I used the link on the Defcon homepage to make a reservation and got the block full error as well..
    Use the P.O.T.S method and get them to e-mail you the confirmation, worked for me.

xor

Leave a comment:

• [Syntax]
    replied

Same here I used the link on the Defcon homepage to make a reservation and got the block full error as well..

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

If I recall correctly, when they did offer us service through the web, we were handed a special URL for Defcon people to use, not the generic URL that everyone uses. Even when we had the Defcon-specific Web-based reservation link, attempts to make reservations without going through the Defcon link or the other 2 conferences that had made arrangements, also failed. Eventually, one or more of the conventions gave up some of their allocated rooms, and people were again able to reserve rooms through the generic web space, at higher rates than Defcon for the same room, or for cheaper than the Defcon rates if you chose to go with the non-Deluxe room that DT negotiated with them. (There were 3 non-suite room classes of rooms.)

I haven't attended every Defcon since we moved to the Riv, but I think that the Defcon-specific web-based reservation process was only available the first year we were there.

Maybe they learned something as a result of that? Maybe they switched to a new system? Maybe they skip this to save money? Maybe none of these.

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

Beep, click, click, WTF, wurrrrrr, error, error, block is full, block is full via web.

Booked for 4 days using the old school method at the $89.00 rate. Wed - Sun

xor

Leave a comment:

Working...
X