X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Re: DC17 Network

What happens when one of two presentations you must see take place during pre-con events that you must see?

I'll only be a le to catch the first hour of your talk before I head over the the bbq.

I assumed wayyyy back when that your talk would be sat, sun, or fri, but I assumed poorly

Sorry that I'll end up being the ass that leaves while you are presenting.

No offense intended.

Leave a comment:

• nweaver
    replied

Originally posted by bjaming View Post
    what's wrong with pretty pictures is, I'm not in management. Pretty pictures can tell me what you do, but not how you do it and that's what I care about :-)

and as far as the guard, couldn't I just dress up like room service and "deliver" a 6 pack of beer?
    Make it a 6 pack for the guard too...

Leave a comment:

• bjaming
    replied

Originally posted by Lockheed View Post
    what's wrong with pretty pictures? :P

I'd be open to that.

Goon's will tell ya where the NOC is - but you have to convince the guard to let you down that hallway :P
    what's wrong with pretty pictures is, I'm not in management. Pretty pictures can tell me what you do, but not how you do it and that's what I care about :-)

and as far as the guard, couldn't I just dress up like room service and "deliver" a 6 pack of beer?

Leave a comment:

• Salem
    replied

but you have to convince the guard to let you down that hallway :P
    I just pointed at the door behind the guard, said "I need to talk to them", and walked right past.

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed
    replied

what's wrong with pretty pictures? :P

I'd be open to that.

Goon's will tell ya where the NOC is - but you have to convince the guard to let you down that hallway :P

Leave a comment:

• bjaming
    replied

I would be very interested in actually seeing some of the configurations that you're running. Will that be possible at defcon this year?

or will it be pretty pictures of the topology?

should I just ask a goon where the NOC is? :-)

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed
    replied

Rover - yeah we do - if you head up to the DCNET website (shameless plug) (http://www.defconnetworking.org) - after each con I've been posting my closing-ceremonies powerpoint which has all the stats & facts.

DC 14/15, we've had 4-5K people on the network, usually around 6-800 at any given time.

If you think of any stats you think would be interesting to collect, let me know - I'm happy to have the guys look at capturing it and we'll get 'em posted.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Lockheed,

Do you have any idea how many people use the DC Net during Con? Do you guys collect any stats of traffic type, etc?

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed
    replied

I'm half-way tempted to try to create some sort of mini-contest revolving around surviving on the DefCon public network. There are enough people who are so intimidated by it - and yet for the last N years, it's been up, stable, and no worse than your average cable/dsl metro-network from a security perspective.

Personally (and don't take it personally, of course) I think you guys are overreacting. Five, no, six years ago I'd have agreed with you. Today? Things have changed. We have counter-measures in place which make the public wifi network usable.

If you have doubts, I encourage you to come to the DCNET session Thurs nite & see for yourselves.

Hey, look, if you don't secure your box, yeah, you'll get goatse.cx'd via IE cache poisoning. But that's your own fault.

Maybe I'll bring a spare machine this year, put it on the public network, see what happens to it.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

DefCon Network Sessions is official! It's posted on the official schedule page. (ok, it's been up for a bit now, but thought I'd follow up here)

I got roped into talking at DC101. Is that my 5 mins of fame? Gosh, I hope not.

I even updated the http://defconnetworking.org page.

Lock
    Looking forward to the talk, sounds very interesting. Going to be like taking the behind-the-scenes tour at Disney World!

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Originally posted by xor View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a violation of the Hacker Con Prime Directive, a.k.a the Ten (sounds of stone smashing, actually my laser printer paper jamming), aaaa Three Commandments of Hacker Cons:

1. Thou shall not connect to the wireless network
    2. Thou shall not connect to the wireless network
    3. HEY!!!! Thou shall not connect to the wireless network, stupid!!!!!!

No problem I always manage to find an open jack some where in the wall. Or my Verizon EDVO card. Maybe if I get a room above the pool perhaps doing another I.W.N (Improvised Wireless Network).

Nonetheless I want to see to.

xor

You forgot the caveat to the conference network commandments; Is Render nearby with a grin on his face. This is an important caveat as it elevates the risk exponentially.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied

Yeah I prefer getting on the intarwebs without the Defcon network ktks :)

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

For those seeking access to the Interwebz at DC17 this year...

Attendees: It's all WiFi (802.11a/b). Turn on your local firewalls, patch your OS d'jour, surf, baby, surf. We're trying to plan on having a "free for all" zone in the DefCon Lounge area. Look in the DC program booklet for info!
    I'm sorry but this is a violation of the Hacker Con Prime Directive, a.k.a the Ten (sounds of stone smashing, actually my laser printer paper jamming), aaaa Three Commandments of Hacker Cons:

1. Thou shall not connect to the wireless network
    2. Thou shall not connect to the wireless network
    3. HEY!!!! Thou shall not connect to the wireless network, stupid!!!!!!

No problem I always manage to find an open jack some where in the wall. Or my Verizon EDVO card. Maybe if I get a room above the pool perhaps doing another I.W.N (Improvised Wireless Network).

Nonetheless I want to see to.

xor

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed
    replied

DefCon Network Sessions is official! It's posted on the official schedule page. (ok, it's been up for a bit now, but thought I'd follow up here)

I got roped into talking at DC101. Is that my 5 mins of fame? Gosh, I hope not.

I even updated the http://defconnetworking.org page.

Lock

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Yessir, it shall be indeed!
    Very nice. This is one of the rare things that is on my, "must see at Defcon," and I only have one other presentation on this list.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 29, 2009, 21:14.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X