Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are any locks actually secure?

Originally posted by valanx View Post
    If it doesn't get accepted you may ask Deviant if you can talk about it in the Lockpicking Village. Last year we ran through several mini-talks and demos. Not sure the plan for this year though.
    that is likely the plan again, indeed. if you'd like, my brother, you may feel free to give folks tips on acquiring cheap tools, budget pick polishing, etc.

some version of your "Better Uses for your Basement than a Meth Lab" , unless it is accepted for one of the main DC talk tracks.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      some version of your "Better Uses for your Basement than a Meth Lab" , unless it is accepted for one of the main DC talk tracks.
      There are better uses for your basement? Guess I'll have to return all that Pseudo-Ephedrine to CVS and the Muriatic Acid to the pool store.

xor
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
        There are better uses for your basement? Guess I'll have to return all that Pseudo-Ephedrine to CVS and the Muriatic Acid to the pool store.

xor
        No, just pour the Muriatic acid in with your chlorine. Then you won't need to worry about returning stuff to CVS.

Disclaimer: Kids, do not try this at home, it's very dangerous.
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

that is likely the plan again, indeed. if you'd like, my brother, you may feel free to give folks tips on acquiring cheap tools, budget pick polishing, etc.
          I did not put in for a DC talk, I am trying to have any talk I give be a one time item and then have new material for the next one (I know, the methlab talk had parts from the smartkey decoder one- blame me forgetting all my damn pictures). You're so good about posting video of me drunk and on stage anyway. In retrospect I should have put in a talk on grand theft auto given my recent findings. That may be a try at Shmoocon one unless you want to do pick alchemy there.

I'm planning on bringing the FOOLS video kiosk as well and putting it on a table if you don't mind. We will have a few quick intro talks on there and I expect the format to be a little more polished than it was at notacon.

The schedule board with demo/lecture slots from last year worked really well. I think I'll have time to do a couple of demos on things. Is the bench grinder coming again? A start to finish pickmaking workshop/demo could be good.

I warn you, I may be busy fighting with a mystery box though. Expect drunken sailor language at all times.
          ----------------------------------------
          Fraternal Order of Locksport

Comment

I'm planning on bringing the FOOLS video kiosk as well and putting it on a table if you don't mind.
            right on. that was a nice development and good to have around.

Is the bench grinder coming again? A start to finish pickmaking workshop/demo could be good.
            that would be cool, indeed. i'm pretty sure Nuclear Steve will be driving his truck from nebraska again so it can likely come along. we'll confirm that, however.

I warn you, I may be busy fighting with a mystery box though. Expect drunken sailor language at all times.
            sweet, i won't be the only one causing the helicopter parents to clap hands around their snowflakes' ears.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

I will say that the locks I am using at my job are NSA approved, which is a requirement, and cost somewhere around $200 per.

The set-up on them is quite extensive, but I'm sure if I was given one to tinker with me or a few friends could break into it.
              Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by b0n3z View Post
                I will say that the locks I am using at my job are NSA approved, which is a requirement, and cost somewhere around $200 per.
                what brand/model are they? please feel free to share a few photos or otherwise describe the setup to us here.
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Are you talking about gsa/federal specifications on combo locks or approval for containers which process a specific class of data?

The set-up on them is quite extensive, but I'm sure if I was given one to tinker with me or a few friends could break into it.
                  If it is an X-09 I'd like to see some footage of you tinkering your way into one.

Comment

my apologies on the response time.

Here is the manufacturer's site of the locks that we are using currently to secure some of our classified items at my job.

Now I'm sure if someone knew exactly what to do and how to do, it would be a quick job, but from watching my bosses try to play with the lock to set the combination on the thing it's a hassle.
                    Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Here is the manufacturer's site of the locks that we are using currently to secure some of our classified items at my job
                      the S&G 8077 is a nice padlock. it is, indeed, what the .gov folks use to secure things like filing cabinets and such. it's also what i recommend to people who want a non-keyed padlock that is still safe from nearly all typical attacks. (it's really the only thing i'd ever trust on a gym locker if i had to go swimming or something and didn't want a key in my shorts)

nice choice.
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

valanx threatens my life when I post here, so I'll be brief. I know the "egg" is out there now, but a Geminy Shield is still a nice touch to beef up the physical resistance of whatever (hopefully) high-security lock you've got on your door.

Just another layer, but a really well integrated/specialized one.

Sidenote: just got a ton of new Schlages in the mail, should be golden for opening rounds of field strip, if we've got the room/inclination for it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Schuyler View Post
                          valanx threatens my life when I post here, so I'll be brief. I know the "egg" is out there now, but a Geminy Shield is still a nice touch to beef up the physical resistance of whatever (hopefully) high-security lock you've got on your door.

Just another layer, but a really well integrated/specialized one.

Sidenote: just got a ton of new Schlages in the mail, should be golden for opening rounds of field strip, if we've got the room/inclination for it this year.
                          DIE.

That being said, you need to revise your rules since they are anti-me for your fieldstrip contest.

Those S&G padlocks are pretty good and while whoever can't figure out how to change the combo right, I'd say someone is going to be spending a lot of time trying to get one open. In the field, it would be easier to cut the hasp if someone was going for pilfering rather than non destructive entry.

Comment

DIE.

That being said, you need to revise your rules since they are anti-me for your fieldstrip contest.

Those S&G padlocks are pretty good and while whoever can't figure out how to change the combo right, I'd say someone is going to be spending a lot of time trying to get one open. In the field, it would be easier to cut the hasp if someone was going for pilfering rather than non destructive entry.
                            But are they bullet proof (hint, hint)

xor
                            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

(it's really the only thing i'd ever trust on a gym locker if i had to go swimming or something and didn't want a key in my shorts)
                              Note to self, don't look in Deviant's shorts for a gun case key.

xor

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                                don't look in Deviant's shorts for a gun case key
                                you may find a gun, but no key
                                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                                X