WarDriving question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WarDriving question...

Figured I probably oughtta start a new thread instead of continuing to inject these questions in to semi-related threads!

Antenna Placement?

I want to mount the new antenna on my car, and then run the cable into the trunk and then into the cab under carpeting/door step plates etc. and then up through the center console between the front seats. This way I can just open the console, pull the cable and plug away (also think it would look better than running through a window). When I'm not using it, I can just open the trunk and mag the antenna to the bottom of the lid. My question is, would their be any real signal loss by mounting the antenna on top of my trunk rather then on the roof of the car?

Thanks,
    Kai

Re: WarDriving question...

Originally posted by Kai
    Antenna Placement?
    Optimal placement would be on the center of your roof. Though if you are using a mag-mount such as the Fab-Corp 5dBi Omnidirectional (which comes with its own ground plane) placement can be more liberal, as long as it is not inside the vehicle.

Next one of the most careful thing you want to measure would be the cable length, you can search around for cable type and calculate how much gain you are losing per feet of cable. A lot of people use the wrong cable (not the low loss) and end up turning their 5dBi antenna into a 2dBi antenna by having too much cable, and too many connectors.

Remember that mag-mounts are not permanent antennas, do not go ghetto and try to use a mag-mount for permanent use. Also be careful on pinching the cables as this will also cause levels of loss, and the more you have the worse it gets through time.

Comment

Yeah, the antenna was not meant to be in a permanent position, but I was hoping to be able to "hide" the cabling in a permament place. I'd like it to look more like a cellular antenna than something that's been jerry-rigged when I'm using it. Going for the stealthy Bond-mobile approach!
      :D

How's your luck been with the SS from borg man? I'm still debating between that and one other kit, but I was hoping to stumble all the way to Vegas. Probably average around 85MPH and I don't want it flying off. Also, does that antenna seperate from the cable provided, or is it a permanent connection?

Thanks,
      Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Kai
        How's your luck been with the SS from borg man?
        The SS is the way to go hands down, his service is awesome, if something is jacked, DOA, etc.. he is more than happy to help you get your problem solved ASAP. I have his hardware and do business with him :)

The magnet on the mag-mount hasn't slid off any of the surfaces I have put it on, even at questionable velocities, and questionable G ratings. :)

I haven't remove the cable from the mount, looks like I either need a really small gauge driver, or some twisting or prying involved.. it is pretty solid, especially with the ground plane. The antenna is pretty tiny.

Basically you connect the pigtail proprietary connector to your card's jack, and the other end of the pigtail goes to the N-Type connector that connects to the Antenna's N-Type.

Originally I was going to get a hyperlinktech mag-mount.. but became bitter with them after their mail servers rejected hushmail as a domain they accept email from.. (they may have changed this within the last few months).. their antenna looks a little bulkier with the black covering, and I wouldn't get the range extenders, or the pole looking ones.. those look more obvious than the fab-corp. If all else fails there are similar plans all over the net. :)

Comment

Thanks blackwave. I appreciate the tips. I still have to look at this one:

http://www.maxrad.com/maxrad_product...ghz_series.pdf

But mainly because I've got a local reseller nearby that's charging less than $45.

The one difference I noticed was that this one doesn't have a ground plane. I read the document explaining it's "usefullness", but I'm not quite sure I understand. Guess I'll have to do some research!
          :)

Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Kai
            Yeah a few ppl have made their own maxrad
            But mainly because I've got a local reseller nearby that's charging less than $45.

The one difference I noticed was that this one doesn't have a ground plane. I read the document explaining it's "usefullness", but I'm not quite sure I understand. Guess I'll have to do some research!
            :)

Kai
            Hell you can always make your own...Check it:

A 2.4Ghz Low-Power 5dBi Vertical Collinear
            Antenna for 802.11 Applications

http://www.guerrilla.net/reference/a...r_omni_lowpwr/
            -from-
            2.4GHz Radio Resources
            http://www.guerrilla.net/gnet_2_4ghz.html

Page 13/20
            http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/fo...ive_or_pdf=pdf

Comment

Thanks for the tip blackwave, got another one for 'ya!

I've been reading up about the 15 second delay in MP2k2 on NS, unfortunately the only solution listed says to do a google search on a phrase. That search doesn't bring back any hits for me and the NS forum won't mail me my password so I can ask there.

Any more linkage?!

Thanks,
              Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Kai
                I've been reading up about the 15 second delay in MP2k2 on NS
                I do not recall reading anything about a 15 second delay, could you elaborate please. You can PM me if you want to take this offline.

Comment

sent pm

Comment

Here is the NS thread( I will update it shortly):
                    http://forums.netstumbler.com/showth...=9543#post9543

Here is the Google Group Link (to what the thread talked about)
                    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...=Google+Search

Here is the Google Group Result Link
                    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...+the+1+second+(E8+03)+and+the+2+second+(7D+00)+patches%22&hl=en& lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&selm=%23wFOrunLBHA.1496%40tkmsftngp05&rn um=1

and here is the C&P text:

Search Result 1
                    Subject: Re: The patch to change the 15-sec GPS sampling delay to 1-2 seconds in 2002
                    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.streets-trips
                    View: Complete Thread (5 articles) | Original Format
                    Date: 2001-08-26 15:09:37 PST

I've tried the 1 second (E8 03) and the 2 second (7D 00) patches and they
                    are too fast for my laptop to complete a redraw in the city. Can anyone
                    suggest what Hex characters to use for a 4 or 5 second update?

Terence Cassidy

"Al @Work" <Al@Work.net.invalid> wrote in message
                    news:u1KGmniKBHA.1700@tkmsftngp05...
                    > Yep...
                    >
                    > As posted by "Nomen Nescio" on 8/20/2001...
                    >
                    > The patch for MS S&T 2002 is the same as for 2001, but the location
                    > of the bytes has changed. The offset is 0x23463. Look for the byte
                    > sequence "98 3A 00 00 53 57 6A" and change the first two bytes to
                    > "E8 03" for a one-second update interval. This is for streets.exe
                    > v9.0.16.2001, 3,866,684 total bytes in length.
                    >
                    > Al
                    >
                    > "AnonoMouse" <honkie@att.net> wrote in message
                    > news:h2b3ot4ievpu8us6jih7nb1np910mfrdog@4ax.com...
                    > > The patch to change the 15-sec GPS sampling delay to 1-2 seconds in
                    > > 2002 can be found in a post today in the news group:
                    > >
                    > > sci.geo.satellite-nav
                    > >
                    > > AnonoMouse
                    > >
                    > >
                    >

Comment

I wonder if road/ground noise coming through the cable is going to wreck ur signal, I know its a concern in car stereo, I imagine it could affect the antenna cable to.
                      i r newbie

Comment

the best way to keep it clear is to keep everything short and simple.

i would drill a hole in the center roof. from there put a two sided female jack.
                        with that jack you could easily put up a magnetic on the roof. just plug it in to the outside half of the jack and your equip into the inside half. it wont look super-pretty when your using your equipment, but it can be put up/taken down in less than 10 seconds and it's almost impossible to see when it's packed up.
                        the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Working...
                        X