Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling Terabytes need a hardware makeover

Hey hey,

So i think the time has come to redesign and rebuild the Traveling Terabytes, basically from the ground up. What we started with were great, but as AST or anyone else who hand-carried one of these to a forward area can tell you, they weren't light and they weren't all that small. Basically, a single TTB would knock out someone's ability to have one of their carry-on bags.

A TOOOL New Jersey member recently turned me on to a really amazing enclosure. perhaps the most badass aspect of that drive case is the fact that it has an integrated power supply. all you need on the back end is an ISO power cable. no fucking around with wall warts, etc.

That, plus the fact that it's rugged aluminum with integrated cooling, makes me think it's ideal for the new TTB design. I'd like to find something like this in a lower price, and perhaps people's deal-fu is stronger than my own. Post if you have any suggestions, please.

Moving to SATA will be a boost for speed as well as economics, since ATA drives are actually a lot more expensive now that they're becoming a rarity. i plan on going with plain, flat-out 1TB drives in the new TTBs... one case, one drive, one set of cords... that will mean a smaller and lighter Pelican case and overall package.

I'm happy to hear about any suggestions people have on things i may be missing. Incidentally, i'm also quite happy to hear from you if you're interested in any of the old TTB gear, as i don't want to keep the previous models in circulation. My ideal situation will be to just build up numerous "new" TTBs and keep them all mirrored exactly the same. (no more "entertainment vs knowledge" content splitting) So the four previous drives (500GB ATA) and enclosures and Pelican 1400 cases have to go to good homes.

My hope is to have a finalized new design for all this and a rebuilt pair (at least a pair) of new TTBs in time for DEFCON so folk can transport them outta there to units elsewhere. And oh yeah, of course to do that i'll need destinations for this content... if you know a unit, please let me know. If you'll be at DEFCON and want to hand-carry a TTB back with you, please let me know.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 5, 2009, 22:46.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Traveling Terabytes need a hardware makeover

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    Hey hey,

So i think the time has come to redesign and rebuild the Traveling Terabytes, basically from the ground up. What we started with were great, but as AST or anyone else who hand-carried one of these to a forward area can tell you, they weren't light and they weren't all that small. Basically, a single TTB would knock out someone's ability to have one of their carry-on bags.

A TOOOL New Jersey member recently turned me on to a really amazing enclosure. perhaps the most badass aspect of that drive case is the fact that it has an integrated power supply. all you need on the back end is an ISO power cable. no fucking around with wall warts, etc.

That, plus the fact that it's rugged aluminum with integrated cooling, makes me think it's ideal for the new TTB design. I'd like to find something like this in a lower price, and perhaps people's deal-fu is stronger than my own. Post if you have any suggestions, please.

Moving to SATA will be a boost for speed as well as economics, since ATA drives are actually a lot more expensive now that they're becoming a rarity. i plan on going with plain, flat-out 1TB drives in the new TTBs... one case, one drive, on set of cords... that will mean a smaller and lighter Pelican case and overall package.

I'm happy to hear about any suggestions people have on things i may be missing. Incidentally, i'm also quite happy to hear from you if you're interested in any of the old TTB gear, as i don't want to keep the previous models in circulation. My ideal situation will be to just build up numerous "new" TTBs and keep them all mirrored exactly the same. (no more "entertainment vs knowledge" content splitting) So the four previous drives (500GB ATA) and enclosures and Pelican 1400 cases have to go to good homes.

My hope is to have a finalized new design for all this and a rebuilt pair (at least a pair) of new TTBs in time for DEFCON so folk can transport them outta there to units elsewhere. And oh yeah, of course to do that i'll need destinations for this content... if you know a unit, please let me know. If you'll be at DEFCON and want to hand-carry a TTB back with you, please let me know.
    Deviant; they are actually looking for distributors and resellers. Perhaps contacting them and ask them for some evaluation units mite get you them for free. Or better yet just tell them what you are doing and just be straight with them in exchange for promotion.

Sure they mite ask for a sales commitment. These commitments aren't written in stone. All businesses take on certain risks and understand that. Have I gotten either free evaluation, demo or 40% of NFR units, yes. Have I honored my sales quota, no not always. Am I any worse off than before, no.

They have no distributors to speak off so I can't get a price from like Tech Data or Ingram for you. Items that are less that $100 usually have very little channel markup on them anyway. You have to purchase very large quantities to get really good deals. But what I suggested above mite work.

If you have a sales language barrier(you speak English, they speak something else) I suggest getting a person from the community to be a be your proxy when you call. Many people are very patriotic and are usually more than willing to help especially when credit is given to them. Think about it what a better endorsement for a new product than the US military. You are doing them a favor. It's not like they are going to force you to purchase a shipping container full of them.

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Thats a nice setup. I'm sure local VFW/FRA type groups would have plenty of options for places to send the drive, you'd just have to get someone reliable there to be willing to then send it back.
      ----------------------------------------
      Fraternal Order of Locksport

Comment

DO,

If the TTB gear is old and needs to be replaced, you may wish to think about where it ends up. As I recall, the drives I took around got stickers put on them and the little book had entries from around the world. This is NOT a typical 500GB HD that you have there.

My opinion? Offer set #1 to the Smithsonian. Another option would be an auction, maybe with half the funds going to the EFF and the rest going for the new TTBs.

The drives deserve to retire honorably.

Comment

Maybe use a known hacker space to display them? Smithsonian would be fantastic, but no reason someone couldn't/shouldn't start a hacker museum...

Comment

Originally posted by Schuyler View Post
            Maybe use a known hacker space to display them? Smithsonian would be fantastic, but no reason someone couldn't/shouldn't start a hacker museum...
            That is an interesting idea; though there is a computer/hacker related space in NorCal. :-)

Regards,

valkyrie
            __________________________________________________ ________
            sapere aude

Comment

I guess for other measures of data we will end up with the:

Traveling Terabyte,
              Parading Petabyte,
              Expediting Exabyte,
              Zooming Zettabyte,
              Yachting Yottabyte
              Zig-zagging Xenottabyte
              Shifting Shilentnobyte
              Dodging Domegemegrottebyte
              Itching Icosebyte
              Manic Monoicosebyte ...

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                I guess for other measures of data we will end up with the:

Traveling Terabyte,
                Parading Petabyte,
                Expediting Exabyte,
                Zooming Zettabyte,
                Yachting Yottabyte
                Zig-zagging Xenottabyte
                Shifting Shilentnobyte
                Dodging Domegemegrottebyte
                Itching Icosebyte
                Manic Monoicosebyte ...
                Let's hope by the time we are at Expediting Peta-byte that all our brothers and sisters are home alive and well, for good. :-)

xor
                Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

so in some recent PMs between AST and i, the following idea came up and i wanted to share it publicly for comment here...

Originally posted by astcell
                  And for the new drive cases, maybe a new camouflage pattern that matches the USAF ACU which ROCKS. All the services are jealous of the tigerstripe look.
                  while i love the pattern, the folks at Tiger Stripe Products seem kind of like douchebags, it's a shame. they have a whole web page dedicated to the "story" of the new Air Force pattern... in it, they never miss an opportunity to (a) tout how awesome their design is (b) remind people that it's copyrighted and they own it exclusively, and (c) call the Air Force a bunch of morons for not following their (TigerStripe's) advice.

I'd love to find a way to easily mock up these new aluminum enclosures. the folk at DuraCoat have a wide range of patterns. their Advanced Tiger is pretty nice, eh?
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

It's COPYRIGHTED? Okay so now what, the RIAA lawyers gonna come in combat with me to make sure I wear it properly? Did I miss a EULA on the laundry tag when I got dressed?

Comment

I myself am not a big fan of the AF ACU's...but, maybe I'm just judging the people I see wearing them. ;-)

The new Navy ones are pretty nice.
                      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I hope you aren't talking about that abomination of tan and black.

Now, given that this thing is going to travel around I don't know if you want it to match anyone's uniform exactly. It may get picked up with someone thinking it is official gear or stolen for the same reason by those evil terrah suspects.

Maybe if you paint it like a little piggy. That would be classy. Everyone likes piggies.
                        ----------------------------------------
                        Fraternal Order of Locksport

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                          I myself am not a big fan of the AF ACU's...but, maybe I'm just judging the people I see wearing them. ;-)

Those things have bell bottoms too?

Comment

you've spent time in uniform, so we can waive you through on any jokes made using the phrase "chair force" while the rest of us sit respectfully.

they're finally issuing you folk something other than the coffee stain pattern?

Originally posted by valanx View Post
                            I hope you aren't talking about that abomination of tan and black.
                            which one's talking about what now? the only tan pattern i know of that also incorporated black was the chocolate chip design seen way back in Desert Storm.

Are you referring to garments worn by a branch of the service or to potential patterns on the TTBs?

I don't know if you want it to match anyone's uniform exactly.
                            that was a consideration of mine. even when making the TTB business cards that i hand out in airports to folk i see who appear to be headed either to an assignment or coming home... i tried to go with something that wouldn't represent a single specific branch.

if anyone is curious about these "cards" that i mention from time to time, i print them like typical business cards at Staples or wherever, using this design...

(if you want to make your own, there are links there to high-res versions of the file in TIF format with quarter inch bleed space around the edges)

when coming up with a design for that, i believe i used the MARPAT pattern but shifted the colors around a bit, borrowing elements of both the desert and forest palettes in that family. ACU is a bit "light" for my taste... it sort of looks like marine forest uniform that went through the wash way way too many times.

Heh, maybe we go with the original and put CADPAT on the new drives?

Maybe if you paint it like a little piggy. That would be classy. Everyone likes piggies.
                            that would get my vote, too. whatever people wish to suggest. they make DuraCoat in the bright Bloomberg Collection colors, too.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Example of new navy uniforms

http://www.northwestnavigator.com/im...-uniforms2.jpg
                              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Working...
                              X