Gearing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing up

Well, my most immediate need (among other things) is a notebook carrying case that _will_ fit underneath my plane seat.
    (as I'm only allowed 1 carryon [duffelbag] and 1 laptop [+goodies]

From the flown, what would you suggest? I currently have 2 cases, one too small to carry anything but the notebook (and suspectedly smaller than what I'm allowed), one that I'm guessing will be far too large to fit underneath. However, being my first flight ever, I'm not exactly sure what I have for space.... (delta)
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

I live out of my Targus backpack. It is plenty big to hold everything I need for travel, plus my laptop. When stuffed full, it fit under the America West seats, which I believe are some of the smallest seats around.
    the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

I ordered this one...

a few days ago. Pretty good price plus their discount there are some pretty good discount codes. I ordered red, but here's some picks of the yellow and discount codes.

Kai

[Edit] As for laptops on flights, here's one hint that has was given to me a while back that works well. If a "flight attendant" comes up and tells you that you need to check your bag, simply say I cannot for security reasons. Tell them your carrying confidential business documents and your employer prohibits them from being "checked" with luggage. This has worked for me and I've actually had "flight attendants" place my bags with flight crew stow away gear or behind seats of those in back or against dividing partitions. [/Edit]

G8724TRE or 4393248 $10 off $30
      81136625 10% off + free shipping
      54005805 20% off
      GA2725MMA buy 1 get 1 50% off

E-Pak

Last edited by Kai; June 23, 2002, 11:16.

Comment

yeah, I went to that site earlier and was thinking about one of the traditional styles, but was scared away when I heard complaints that ) no comparments to keep stuff from moving around ) does not hold all laptops, a problem I've had with my inspiron 8100 because of it's extended width...

as mentioned, I also have no clue what dimensions I have to work with, so I wasn't sure if the thing would even work out. I currently have a targus case that is similar to this:

http://www.targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=LN30A

It does say fits all airline carry-on requirements, but I wasn't sure if that was for both over and under, or just the overhead compartment...

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
          I live out of my Targus backpack.
          Targus makes some of the best laptop backpacks out there,
          I personally have the Targus Sport Deluxe Computer Backpack
          Model: TSB315
          and got it from best buy while I was in the store about a year ago:
          Best Buy
          http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=561&scat=562
          Targus
          http://www.targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=TSB315

It is the most comfortable backpack(nothing beats the cushioning), and the roomiest. I can keep a lot of equipment, cords, and a lot of the pack expands and has quite a few tightening straps to help hold things down in case things normally don't fit. I don't have a single rip or tear on this backpack and it has been through hell and back, it has multiple handling and a lot of pockets and zippers... I wouldn't get anything else. :)

Comment

a problem I've had with my inspiron 8100 because of it's extended width...
            Understood there, used to have one a few years back with the 15" screen. Personally, I only have one case that doesn't fit in under the seat, and that's a custom carry-on suitcase to fit tools, parts, manuals, etc., that has "break away" briefcase style bag.

I have about 6 or 7 bags currently, and a couple of those sleeves, so I pretty much just mix and match for what I feel like. My last backpack was a Kensington that I liked, but that Targus looks pretty nice. This time I had to go cheap with all the gear I wanted to pick up ( WD Kit, LP ).

Kai

Comment

Has anyone tried the laptop backpacks on thinkgeek?

Comment

Those are the same ones blackwave posted about earlier. They look nice, but I'd buy 'em somewhere else. Quick search pulls them up for less than $50 at some sites.

Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Kai
                  They look nice,
                  Oh not only do they look spiffy, but they are super functional.. I have walked around for days and not feeling any uncomfortable-ness due to the super cushioning on the back padding as well as on the inner straps :)

Wherever you get it I would certainly suggest the DELUXE model... it is seriously worth it:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/57aa.shtml

Comment

Or, if you want to go with the Super Deluxe Model! I almost brought one, it's called the iLittleBrother. Very convenient and allows for superior movement and flexibility. The main drawback is that it's hard to keep track of sometimes and you don't want to put money in it, you'll never see it agin.

:D

Comment

is it safe for me to assume that the targus above-mentioned, or these backpacks will fit okay underneath my seat on the plane? am I right to be concerned? (keeping in mind this will not be my carryon, but the "personal item" that is allowed in addition)

Comment

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
                        is it safe for me to assume that the targus above-mentioned, or these backpacks will fit okay underneath my seat on the plane?
                        Hmmm, can't help you in that capacity, never flown, and probably never will (unless it is for skydiving). :) So I am not familiar with past commercial airline rules or present commercial airline rules.

Comment

hmmmm

I just carry all my schtuff in a Glad Sandwich size baggie. Oh wait... wrong stuff... Nevermind.

<errrrrrr>

Comment

Re: hmmmm

Originally posted by russ
                            I just carry all my schtuff in a Glad Sandwich size baggie. Oh wait... wrong stuff... Nevermind.

<errrrrrr>
                            Yellow and Blue make Green?
                            How about a euro sealer, you get that super fresh taste :) ;) :)

Comment

Since they have changed the rules about the number of carry-ons, you'll find that there is almost always room for both your items in the overhead. I went to Saudi Arabia a month or two back with 2 laptop bags, one being a backpack bag, and had no problems at all. It was bigger than the Targus and fit under the seat just fine. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

I did have some trouble on the return trip with a "special" briefcase, due to someone who shall remain nameless! You should see the looks on security's faces when they open up a foam padded briefcase to discover "middle eastern smoking accesories"! They end up calling people because they don't seem to know whether or not to let you go on! Here's a tip, don't bring any glass or crystal items in your carry-ons, it look like lead in the x-rays and you'll be stopped every time.

Also, the metal detectors have been turned up so high sensitivity wise, that I don't own a pair of shoes that won't set them off. Even most popular running shoes have slim metal shanks in the soles. To avoid having to get wanded and waiting barefoot while they x-ray your shoes, I'd wear som Tivas or something.

Kai

Comment

Working...
                              X