Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been at the riv 2 hours, car window smashed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been at the riv 2 hours, car window smashed.

Just got here, took enough time to unload my camera, laptops, clothes, etc. Went back down to get more stuff and found my drivers window smashed. Glass everywhere, pain in the ass. $400 worth of stuff taken (nothing that will impact con hijinks, whew).

When I went inside to contact security I saw Noid first, so we walked over to the security room together. Head of security walks by, unrelated to my event. Underling helps me out, then realizes "You're with him?" refering to noid, who is talking to his boss, heh.

So make sure you don't leave anything some 2bit heroin junkie might think is worth $5 to a pawn shop visible in your car! Ever!

2 photos, glass, etc.
    http://23b.org/gallery/v/23b_members.../kal_defcon17/

Kallahar
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Re: Been at the riv 2 hours, car window smashed.

sucks man.. probably a crystal meth head...

Comment

Sorry to hear about what happened to you.
      If a chicken and a half, can lay an egg and a half, in a day and a half... how long would it take a monkey, with a wooden leg, to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Comment

That sucks man...

Comment

Can we ask Riviera security to patrol the parking lot? I wonder if it's safer to park in the open lot between the 7-11 and the Riv?

Comment

Ugh, that's brutal. Wonder if he wasn't actually watching for you to leave.

Comment

That sucks, horrible way to start the trip. A bit of advice to others, valet lots are usually better patrolled/monitored than the self parking. Most valets are good about not poking through your shit due to the paranoia factor of possibly ending up on 20/20. Remember to always tip the guy parking it for you. Also, use a bell hop if you have more than one trip worth of gear, get it all on the first pass.
              "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Sucks to lose crap to some thief, but on the bright side at least you got all your gear inside before it happened.
                Originally posted by Ellen
                Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Bummer kallahar, if it makes you feel at better... it could've been worse. 3 years ago at DC 14 my buddy got his car stolen out of the riv parking garage. Given it was an acura, but still. That was not fun (he was myself and 2 others' ride).
                  The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Crap, my rental car's been parked two days behind the New York New York....gonna have to go check it today lol.

M.
                    Secretary

Comment

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Hopefully the rest of the Con will go better!

Comment

Thats crazy, if anymore of this continues, please post in this thread, I may have a few ideas, if and when needed.

Melesse - New York New York should be fine.

Using valet is probably best, they are all free and just work off tips.

Comment

I would use the staff provided by the hotel to watch my stuff while I parked. Pull up to the front of the hotel, unload everything and have them hold it.

It's too bad that you got hit like that.
                          Network Jesus died for your SYN

Comment

All day Tuesday. And today I only ever saw a sign outside the valet booth at the riv that says no valet service.

I waited in my car and saw one security guy on a bike in one hour during the day, but I was only out there for an hour, as a place to sit and answer calls from work while waiting for my hotel room to get cleaned.

One , one hour sample, on just one day is not a good sample set, but it is something.

Sorry kallahar. I hope this doesn 't happen again.

Comment

Sorry this happened to you. If you were parked on hotel property, ask what kind of measures they have in place to help with compensation for damages and lost goods. I once had this happen to me at a convention and if I had been parked in the hotel parking lot security said they would have been able to help out, but since I was parked at a meter outside of the hotel, they werent able to help with compensation for stolen items and damages. Check with your hotel and maybe they will be able to help you out. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X