lodgenet is a joke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lodgenet is a joke!

anybody else find the rediculously hilarious way to receive free internets on the lodgenet AP in Riviera?

Re: lodgenet is a joke!

I, for one, am terrified to even TRY to connect to Lodgenet this week - I am tethered to my cell phone.

So do tell.

S

Comment

I'm skeptical to actually post the solution, but i will say this:

the usual standard operating procedure i follow is to join a network, scan the subnet for mac addresses, and attempt to spoof them, in hopes that *at least one* of the attached clients will have paid for internets. I tried this last night on the 3 APs i could smell ( lodgnet, Travelocity, Guest access ) and it did not turn up any results. apparently i was thinking way too hard about things.

Comment

Originally posted by danielpops View Post
        I'm skeptical to actually post the solution
        post or it didn't happen. you won't have the feds kicking down your door, leeto. you'll just convince us that you're not making things up.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
          post or it didn't happen. you won't have the feds kicking down your door, leeto. you'll just convince us that you're not making things up.
          I think he/she did.

xor
          Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

There are several easy work-arounds for those type of setups, but the particulars depend on what model the provider uses. I'm not saying this guy actually did it, but that it might be possible. On the other hand, if he doesn't reply back...
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Can one not simply bring their own router, pay for one account, and share it out? Or spoof the MAC address of the one paid account?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                Can one not simply bring their own router, pay for one account, and share it out? Or spoof the MAC address of the one paid account?
                easy to do on a wired LAN, but more iffy at the WiFi only spots. We bridged a computer to the router to share it. I've heard talk of some really decent new routers with two radios, and i'm eager to know when someone comes across one that really stands up to all that we folk like to do on the road.
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

I tethered to my iPhone... over USB. WTF WiFi? NO NO NO NO NO
                  45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                  45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                  [ redacted ]

Comment

When I read this post, I wondered why anyone was using the Wifi at the hotel.
                    "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
                      My favorite part was when the hotel router played spin-and-go-puke (still wondering if it was helped or not), and allowing my innocent little mac's airport to be friendly for a bit. Oh, and the *huge* number of people that were too afraid to get on the (much cleaner, nicer, FASTER) defcon network, and yet wanted to share out random shit from their own computers.

Didn't look to me like honeypots, or anything deliberate, just looked like stupidity. Did they really think that a hotel network was *safe*??!!?!

Did I peek in any of the shared stuff? Maybe. Did I care much? Nah, I'm retired, and I don't do that stuff for free.

God, am I *ever* going to be able to ramp down to a normal amount of coffee again?

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
                        My favorite part was when the hotel router played spin-and-go-puke (still wondering if it was helped or not), and allowing my innocent little mac's airport to be friendly for a bit. Oh, and the *huge* number of people that were too afraid to get on the (much cleaner, nicer, FASTER) defcon network, and yet wanted to share out random shit from their own computers.

Didn't look to me like honeypots, or anything deliberate, just looked like stupidity. Did they really think that a hotel network was *safe*??!!?!

Did I peek in any of the shared stuff? Maybe. Did I care much? Nah, I'm retired, and I don't do that stuff for free.

God, am I *ever* going to be able to ramp down to a normal amount of coffee again?
                        Hehe, I almost always find something I could use by peeking at shared resources, either music or movies :P
                        "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
                          some of us need to, you know, get on the internet from time to time. i'm totally among the group of people who think the fears about the network at con are totally overblown.

if you properly harden your system and don't act like an ass, you're fine.
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

I use my EVDO card as well as plug in to a wall outlet if I need speed. But definitely no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, though my headset was on. Hey we should keep the fear level up so every year there is plenty of BW to spare. How do you think they keep people out of Oregon, by saying it rains all the time there.

xor
                            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

hmm. out of curiosity, what would be good steps towards hardening a system?
                              I had a firewall that (supposedly) disallowed outgoing packets not to ports 22,53,80, or 443, and then dropped incoming connections not related to an established connection. That, plus an up-to-date browser, and not browsing anything I minded being eavesdropped upon.

What did I miss?
                              It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Working...
                              X