DEF CON Forum Site Header Art

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Defcon 17] cw issues- help with deciphering some linker error...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Defcon 17] cw issues- help with deciphering some linker error...

Anyone else having problems with "Link error: Segment Overflow .x_Data Reserved size is 0x0000074e Overflow 0x00000010"

I'm guessing, theres too much object data for the chip? Where's the memory usage display? Oddly I get this only from adding a few lines extra to the "stock" user code on the cdrom...

l8r

Re: cw issues- help with deciphering some linker error...

I ran into that myself. My initial thought was you've exceeded capacity of the Flash somehow. But that's only 1870 bytes. So you might just have to adjust the segment layout somewhere. Please post if you find a solution!

Comment

generate a map file , if it won't generate it, try increasing the reserved size just to get the map file
      - Null Space Labs

Comment

Originally posted by charliex View Post
        generate a map file , if it won't generate it, try increasing the reserved size just to get the map file
        Can you explain in a little more detail? (Steps?)

Comment

I had similar probs, it's an out of RAM error. First, disable or remove the memory bean, then open the dsp lib bean, and uncheck the "use memory manager" or something like that option. Next, and because you don't want to overwrite your linker file and hose your bootloader settings, edit the linker file and reduce the amount of ram allocated for dynamic memory to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by simap View Post
            I had similar probs, it's an out of RAM error. First, disable or remove the memory bean, then open the dsp lib bean, and uncheck the "use memory manager" or something like that option. Next, and because you don't want to overwrite your linker file and hose your bootloader settings, edit the linker file and reduce the amount of ram allocated for dynamic memory to zero.
            Ahh, interesting. My project did completely re-work the project so I had already removed the DSP and Memory bean so reduce code size. But I was nervous messing with the linker file on Sunday because I didn't have the JTAG header on the badge I was working on and was worried about screwing it up with no time left to recover. I'll experiment with that when I get home. I'm also planning on replacing the serial bootloader with a bootstrap off of SD-CARD.

PS:

I'm really loving this chip and if you hadn't heard at the closing ceremonies DT announced that due to the China customs screwup, they ordered a second set of parts so they'll have the same chip on next years badge. This is going to be FUN!

Comment

great you figured it out, the default badge project is setup to do faster code and optimisations off , over smaller size level 4 , so it might use more xram in that mode, its worth a looksee too. code generator/global optimisations

i got the tip on the map file from a guy at freescale, but without anymore details. A quick look through the various panels doesn't show anything obvious, on CW Wii and other targets it lets you set different sizes, but i'm guessing its located in a config file somewhere. Maybe the LCF ( linker command file ) which can at least either be a .lcf or .cmd file.
              - Null Space Labs

Comment

Working...
              X